The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #26
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Where do I start A/C repair

Original air group can fix you right up. Talk to Ron in the Fla shop.

If you want it right talk to them. They are the ones I went with with my kit and it looks just like the one posted above. If you go the 134A route you need to make sure you put the right amount of freon in the system which will be less than the R-12 amount.
Their chart shows 24 oz of R-12 = 19.22 oz of 134-A. They suggest 70-80% of the recommended charge of R12 in the original system. Th
I also did away with the drier on mine no need for it on 134A system. I used the new accumulator, just more fittings to leak.

I can get the exact amount if you want it and they suggest setting the POA valve to 20 when running 134A.

My system has been working now for over 10 years with no problems. That's 2 3800 mile trips on the HRPT + work.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #27
Davidf

Re: Where do I start A/C repair

FWIW, a factory a/c system takes a bit more than 3.25 lbs of R-12 refrigerant (certainly more than the 20 oz listed above). So, about 56 ounces is about right, or about 4 cans of 14 ounce/can R-12 refrigerant.

In my past experience, if you live in the southern USA (other than west cost), and you convert to R134a, you better get the system perfect or you will not be cool on the hottest of days. "perfect" means larger condenser and an electric fan in front of the condenser (hard to do because of the hood latch support brace.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #28
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
FWIW, a factory a/c system takes a bit more than 3.25 lbs of R-12 refrigerant (certainly more than the 20 oz listed above). So, about 56 ounces is about right, or about 4 cans of 14 ounce/can R-12 refrigerant.

In my past experience, if you live in the southern USA (other than west cost), and you convert to R134a, you better get the system perfect or you will not be cool on the hottest of days. "perfect" means larger condenser and an electric fan in front of the condenser (hard to do because of the hood latch support brace.
those electric fans do help quite a bit. I added them to my Monte. I would always suggest them but most owners don't like them. At least not the ones ive dealt with
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #29
RedRoad

I live close to a to the Van Nuys Silla distributor so i can go down and take a look in person at the condenser. I know what a cross section of a PF looks like but which pic that you posted should it look like?
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #30
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoad View Post
I live close to a to the Van Nuys Silla distributor so i can go down and take a look in person at the condenser. I know what a cross section of a PF looks like but which pic that you posted should it look like?
That would be great actually. be sure to take a picture of it. And if it is like this one, buy it. This would be exactly what you need in a bolt-in parallel flow condenser. And believe me if/when Classic Auto Air / Original Air Group or Old Air Products start selling them instead of their piccolo condensers, they will probably want a cool $275 plus shipping, more than likely.
Attached Images

Last edited by F.A.A.benny; 09-01-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #31
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Where do I start A/C repair

Quote:
FWIW, a factory a/c system takes a bit more than 3.25 lbs of R-12 refrigerant certainly more than the 20 oz listed above
Why are people so quick to correct someone when they didn't even read the statment themselves correctly! I said it was to compare the two freons.
I never said the system held 24oz.
Then I stated if the OP wanted the exact amount I can give it to you from their chart!
I live in SC I know about hot humid conditions.
I just got in from work and it's 90* here and my truck was at 45* inside the cab. That's sitting outside in the sun since 7am this morning and driving 14 miles home.

My truck has all 134A components installed without the old POA valve which I think is a waste. Just install the orffice in the lower line and be done with it. As I stated before less fittings means less places for leaks.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #32
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Why are people so quick to correct someone when they didn't even read the statment themselves correctly! I said it was to compare the two freons.
I never said the system held 24oz.
Then I stated if the OP wanted the exact amount I can give it to you from their chart!
I live in SC I know about hot humid conditions.
I just got in from work and it's 90* here and my truck was at 45* inside the cab. That's sitting outside in the sun since 7am this morning and driving 14 miles home.

My truck has all 134A components installed without the old POA valve which I think is a waste. Just install the orffice in the lower line and be done with it. As I stated before less fittings means less places for leaks.
But some people don't like the look of that accumulator/orifice tube setup, especially if they are trying to keep it the factory appearance.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #33
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Where do I start A/C repair

F.A.A.benny,
That is fine I can understand that. Wanting the factory look. The charge will still be less for the factory system though.
My truck is way past factory!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-25-2015, 03:16 AM   #34
RedRoad

Still havent had time to make it down to check out the condenser, hopefully this coming week Ill get a day to play with the truck stuff.

Any feedback on this as a A6 replacement?

Amazon.com: Four Seasons 58098 A/C Compressor:... Amazon.com: Four Seasons 58098 A/C Compressor:...
Is this drier OK?

Amazon.com: Four Seasons 33215 Filter Drier:... Amazon.com: Four Seasons 33215 Filter Drier:...
or this

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=473&jpid=1

Expansion valve?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=472&jpid=2

Which seal kit?

Amazon.com: Four Seasons 26777 Cap & Valve... Amazon.com: Four Seasons 26777 Cap & Valve...
Amazon.com: Interdynamics VA-LH11 Air... Amazon.com: Interdynamics VA-LH11 Air...

Last edited by RedRoad; 09-25-2015 at 03:32 AM. Reason: added more links
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote