The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2022, 01:46 PM   #1
skokie

68 SWB is back.

Well I am back in the 67-72 truck world. I had the opportunity to get my 68 Chevy SWB back and I took it. It stayed in the family so I was able to visit it from time to time and it was well taken care of even though it has sat but not out in the trees etc.

Well with that out of the way lets get to the list of stuff that I need to work on Of course there is a list. Lots to do and with the truck 4 hours north of me well. This may take a while. The may goal is to get it running good and make sure it can STOP like it is supposed to.

1 Diagnose the mysterious engine vibration ( there is a thread on that ). Vibrating in park not moving. Going to check for vacuum leaks, make sure all vacuum lines are connected etc. If that comes out ok then I will check the flex plate to make sure I didn't install a 400 sb weighted flex plate on it by accident and if that checks out then I will disconnect the torque converter and go from there.

2 It has power brakes and a new master cylinder but when you hit the brakes the pedal goes down about an inch before anything happens. Going to start with a visual inspection to see if we have any drums leaking ( drums on all 4 corners up front disc conversion is on the list but that is later). Check all brake lines etc. Bleed brakes. Replace wheel cylinders if needed and if that doesn't fix it then I will check the master cylinder brake booster setup. I think I replaced the rod when I converted it power brakes but that was a LOONNG time ago.

3 I have a new from GM HEI distributor coming in on Monday. Just happened to call a parts guy I know at the local dealership and we were talking about the 68 and he said you know I can order those and give you a discount? So I ordered one. Think it was 30% off. NICE!! Have to pick up spark plug wires for it and I am on the lookout for either platinum or iridium plugs for it.

4 Remove the in cab gas tank. Still on the fence about installing a camaro or chevelle tank or have a custom one made. Dont know yet but when I figure it out it will be a great time to clean the floor of the cab (all rust repair was already done) and check for any new rust spots etc. Treat the cab floor with a rust preventive and put a couple layers of paint down on it. Going to soundproof it as well. Not sure about dynamat or fat mat yet. Will decide when I get closer. Will be adding carpet to it as well.

5 Replace non ac dash with an ac dash and install ac system and replace windshield. This one will be interesting. The windshield has a crack in it and needs to be replaced. I have never seen the metal behind it so not sure if there is any rust there or not but going to tackle that when I get there. Also going to have to get my hands on a good ac dash so I can convert when the time comes. Have not decided which ac system to go with yet but will figure that out when I get there.

6 Wheels and tires. The tires on there now are ok but need replacing. I like the rally rims and are thinking about some of those.

Thats it for now. That is a bit of work I have created for myself. Oh well here we go again!!

Thanks!

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
BAD1916

Re: 68 SWB is back.

Sounds like you have a nice plan of attack set up. Look forward to seeing pics of the progress.
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote