The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2017, 02:31 AM   #26
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Re: Square Body Front Coil Over Conversion.

Check out No Limit Engineering... www.nolimit.net
Rob is a member/ Vendor on this board..... robnolimit ( http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=87232 )
I like the idea of adding rack and pinion steering

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 02-03-2017 at 02:37 AM.
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:07 AM   #27
RUN GMC

Nice suggestion but it doesn't fit his budget and he has the ability to do fabrication so he needs some parts to allow him to build his own......
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #28
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

ok... check out the RideTech thread and copy the design

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=597074

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #29
Custom.Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN GMC View Post
Since you have the skills I wish I had.....have you looked at Speedwaymotors.com they have all the stuff to help you build what you want more budget friendly........
Thanks everybody for the advice. Ill deff have to check out speed way, i never really considered them at all.

and yes i am kind of on a budget. and its not just my own skills i have very close friends who run fab shops who i have to give lots of credit too. i come up with the designs and the geometry plus pay for the materials, they help me with the fabrication and welding in exchange for beer , dinner. And of coarse i try to send them business as much as possible.

For this reason is why i cant exactly copy another companies design. if another guy comes into a shop we cant be fabbing up copied parts for people. so i will probably use anthers design as a base line but then change things enough to not be a copy. or maybe even improve it.

and like i said before id love to be able to come up with a really good set of design drawing i can just post here for free, so the hardcore DIY guys can have an easier time building there stuff on the cheap. the only thing you'd have to pay for is materials and coil overs essentially.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #30
sparkie124

I'm starting my build now and just stumbled across your thread, so I'll share my plan although it may not help much.
I already have a No Limit Engineering rear 4 link with Ridetech Coilovers on a truck, I plan to use that kit again. It works great.
The front will have a Thor Brothers drop member(originally for bags) that raises suspension mounts and adds rack steering. I'm going the Ridetech front arms and Coilovers as they seem to work with the drop member. Both kits have upper mounts so I will have to modify them somehow to work together.
sparkie124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #31
Custom.Chevy

nice ! Another brand i did not know of, and a better price point too.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #32
Custom.Chevy

Old thread but this is the progress i have made on the rear of my c10 all 100% custom built and designed.

What you are seeing here is the watts link and truss mount set up. Coil overs and 4 link all designed with geometry specific for a long bed squarebody inside the frame. this should allow for possibly a 14 inch wide tire fully tucked inside the bed. dont quote me on that since i have yet to measure with the bed actually on.

Further updates,,, I got a 2000+ ere chevy 10 bolt with factory disk breaks ,factory LSD still tight, and no idea on the gear ratio yet lol. Didnt care too much since i got it for 100$ figure thats less than what a disk conversion costs and i got a LSD that is still tight. also got a 5.3 for 700$ from the same truck.

I will have to shorten the drive shaft now, not sure if that is because the truck is so low now, or becuase of the new rear end. Either way ill get it shortened.

Before the rear is finished im going to narrow the axles to run the widest possible wheel tire combo on 22 inch wheels but i want a 50% offset on my wheel which i will not know until i can get my bed back on and measure. for example if i can run a 14" wide wheel i want 7inches of backspacing.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #33
Custom.Chevy

so its obviosly not super pretty but its still a work in progress. another angle of the dangle.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #34
Custom.Chevy

one of the coolest parts of the watts link we built is the fact that we achieved 12 inches of vertical travel with absolutly zero deviation of movement. so we set the bars level at mid travel. the truck sits just a couple inches lower than that at ride height which is typical of a coil over set up. so even though the watts link is not height adjustable it doesnt really need to be since i only built in like 4 inches of height adjustability. and the watts link is centerd way past that ability if you get what im saying.