The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
77chebby

suburban rear window fix???!!!

i'm sorry if this has been a topic before, i tried to search and see first. my rear window on the new burban doesn't work. when i bought it the motor was laying in the back cargo area. i bought a junkyard motor today and hooked it up, still nothing.it doesn't work from the inside switch or the key. could be the junkyard one is broken also, where is the fuse on a 1979 suburban, i didn't see one marked and they all looked pretty good.any ideas on things to check before i spend real money on a motor? anyway to test the motor? thanks, mark.
77chebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
AdrianR

Re: suburban rear window fix???!!!

Well, firstly (and before ya go spending $$$ on motors), verify with a test light that you have 12V at the motor connector when the internal raise/lower switch is operated.

Ground your test light to the body. If you have light when operating the switch then suspect the ground connections for the motor. You can double check this by grounding the test light to the motor ground connection.

No light, then I suspect you have either a bad fuse (check the fuse block for missing fuses and check each fuse for continuity), or bad connections under the rear bumper. Dunno' if your truck has a tailgate safety switch but they are often a source of trouble and will also prevent your test light from showing voltage. You need to drop the gate to access the switch for examination.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Good info AdrianR Thanks for your help..
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
77chebby

thanks guys, it's fixed, it ended up being dissconected by the firewall. great ideas where i had none left. thanks again.
77chebby is offline   Reply With Quote