The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
duwem

Question 4L60E or 4L80E Transmission?

Trying to plan ahead on my 1950 1/2 ton truck. I have a 6.0L GM LQ9 engine I plan to put in it. It came out of a 2002 Escalade, and originally had a 4L60E behind it, but it did not come with the engine. It really suprised me when I found out it had a 60 considering how heavy those SUV's are. Maybe they arent intended for towing or lead foot drivers?

Here is how I see it (but looking for more input from you guys)

4L60E:
Pros: smaller (may fit without a firewall and floor hump??), lighter, cheaper initially, easier to find
Cons: less durable in stock form so would probably have to get it built up which costs extra $$$

4L80E:
Pros: Pretty much bulletproof in stock form, add a shift kit and servo's and you can put some big power through them
Cons: Heaver, bigger (need floor and firewall hump to fit 47-53 trucks), consumes more power than the 60 (so worse fuel economy?)

I dont plan to make 600 hp any time soon, a solid 400 would make me happy for a while. I want to be able to drive the truck hard and not have to worry about the tranny puking out.

What do you guys think??
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote