The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
maddav23

wirring nightmare

Need a little help with an engine swap issue. Just bought a 68 c10 stepside project but the guy before me installed a 1994 7.4L. awesome potential but now it has 2 wiring harnesses, original and the late model including computer and now has 2 gauge harnesses and 2 fuse blocks, 2 starter switches, etc,etc. It cranks and runs but I want to keep the original gauge cluster and steering column and switches and so on. Can anyone advice me on the simplest way to reconcile this dilemma? "Out with the old and in with the new" may be a good motto for the New Year but its confusing when restoring old trucks! I appreciate any wisdom.
maddav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
H20cooled

Re: wirring nightmare

I put in one of the AAW kits in my 68 C10, it was not hard at all and just take time. The nice thing is everything is brand new when you are done and the wire colors are the same as the factory so its easy to troubleshoot.
H20cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
toolboxchev

Re: wirring nightmare

I feel for ya brother wishing to have everything working and looking good. I too am going through my electrical system, the old way.

I have looked at the rewiring kits available and they are expensive. Now I am rewiring the system piece by piece building new wiring with the correct packard style connections as needed.

It is not easy doing it this way but I will keep most of the originality.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote