The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2004, 10:11 AM   #1
super_kev
Wonder Boy

'56 chevy trucks - what are they worth

I have a friend who's son lost interest in restoring some '56 Chevy's. I haven't been over there yet (just heard about it last night) to see how they are, but one is almost ready to paint, with 350, TH400, big window. There are two others (rolling chassis) one that can be finished (small window,) and the other is was used for a parts truck. The guy is asking 2500 for the one that's almost ready to paint, and 1500 for the other two (one is pretty much complete w/289.) I'll get more details when I see them, but I'm just wondering if the price sounds good, and what restored ones (original restorations, and semi-show quality customs) sell for on the west coast. I've seen them range anywhere from $10-30K, with junker projects for around $3-4K. Any imput would be great.

Also, I know that with old Fords people swap Mustang II front ends, so do people do the same with the Chevy's? I've heard of Camaro front ends, but I'm not sure how hard or worthwhile that is (for a driveable hotrod) etc.

Thanks,
super_kev
super_kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

That's not too bad a deal for either one. Especially if alot of the groundwork is already done and both are driveable.

You can put mustang fronts in our trucks, no problem. Many places sell them, just shop around......good luck!

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
super_kev
Wonder Boy

Well I went and saw them today. It's not exactly ready to paint, but everything's dissasembled and the one shortbed (for 2500) is a rolling chassis that has been painted, and there is a fresh rebuilt 350 with a TH400 on it. It has a cab and fenders that are sitting in the garage halfway done. The bed isn't in the best shape (outside) with a few dings here and there.

The other two are a shortbed and a longbed. He has a ton of doors and fenders for them, but some are a little old, and so I'm wondering if anyone makes repo sheet metal fenders and bed parts. I know they do for our early 70s K5s, trucks, and burbs. All I've been able to find (from Chevy Duty anyways) is fiberglass, and in my opinion, fiberglass is for the birds.

How about prices? I don't want three hanging around (that would be cool, but can't afford it) so I was thinking finishing the first shortbed that's pretty much ready to paint (just have to finish a little bodywork on the cab, and on the front fenders.) Any ideas on what I could get for this? I know the answer would be "whatever people want to pay" but what's the average ballpark price? The sheet metals is original, etc. so maybe $10-15K? I know some show ones get $25K and up, but I'm not chrome plating the whole car. Just trying to keep it original, sell it, and then fix up the other two to keep.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

Quote:
so I'm wondering if anyone makes repo sheet metal fenders and bed parts.

Yes, you can get virtually all new metal parts, just have to shop some. Mar-K makes everything for the bed including bed sides, etc. LMC Truck has fenders, doors everything in metal. Brothers also carries lots of metal replacement parts. There are others to be sure, just those 2 popped out of my head first. Also ask Mothertruckers what he carries at his shop.

As far as asking prices on them, that really depends on the overall finished condition. A good way to find out is to have it appraised when its completed. I will be getting my appraised when I finish mine. I have all my receipts for parts and such, I want to make sure I have my appraisal for the insurance man when its time to insure the truck so I dont get screwed if it gets hit or something stolen.

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
MOTHERTRUCKERS

We have all the 55-59 sheetmetal in our Oxnard Ca warehouse if you need it. Just bought 2 57 big window trucks rustfree in Colorado for 1900.00. Shop around.