The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
bigbluthng

buiding a truck from scratch

i have decided that i want to do a buildup on a 67-72 swb but the problem is i just can't find a short bed truck for the right price. i have thought of cutting down a longbed or buying a cab and buying the frame seperately. anyhow what other model years would i be able to use the frame from? i want a short bed preferably with a coil spring rear.
bigbluthng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
LeftCoast32
Custom Builder

take a look at the frame i have for sale in this section. (1967-72 SWB Air Bagged Frame) It is a 1972 frame with 5 lug and disc brakes and includes a good set of ralley wheels and BFG tires to boot.
LeftCoast32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:56 AM   #3
nate68

you could always buy an aftermarket frame (yes they make them now) but that could be pretty pricey
Old 10-22-2003, 12:31 AM   #4
grnddwn
belly dragger

You could build your own frame if your up to it. Thats kinda what i wann do next. Don't tell my wife
grnddwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:13 PM   #5
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
Well, the Chevy 1/2 ton frames were pretty much the same from about 1937 up to 1980 or so. They are the same width and close to the same legnth. The main differances would be body mounts, engine mounts, rad. core mounts and also the way the rear end mounts. You also have to take into consideration how the front end mounts to the frame as well. My suggestion would be find a truck in decent shape. If it is a long bed, either cut down the frame or find short bed frame somewhere. This way, when you do decide to go short bed, the swap woudnt be too difficult. As far as building one from scratch, unless you have very deep pockets, I wouldnt suggest it. You would have to buy/find cab, bed, frame, front clip, suspension front and rear, hood, wiring, steering column, interior, engine, trans, drive line, etc..well you get the idea. The parts list would be very long and expensive. If you found a complete truck, either long bed or short, you have most of those items already and would cut down on cost and time dramaticly. In my opinion, this would be the best way to go. If you cant find a frame, I will have one available soon ( hopefully) from a short bed 67, cheap! However you would have to figure out a way to get it to you.
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 09:47 PM   #6
bigbluthng

hey chevy wrench, if and when you decide to sell the frame, let me know. in case i have not found anything i might just take a road trip.
bigbluthng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:52 PM   #7
jcab
I need more money....

I read somewhere that the 73+ frames have a weird curve to them, so that are harder to cut them down to a short bed frame than it is for a 67-72 frame. Can't comment on the 66 and earlier frames.

'68 LWB C10
'74 Duster ("It's not Rusted out, it's been modified for weight reduction")
'91 Civic
'97 Saturn
'88 Celica AWD turbo (R.I.P.) 273 hp Mustang Killer
jcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:56 PM   #8
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
If I were to cut the 73-87 frame down, I would make the cut right under the cab. The frame is staight under the cab, plus you get more stregnth from the cab. If I do sell the frame, you will be the first to know.
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 06:22 PM   #9
grnddwn
belly dragger

There's athread about a frame for sale on ebay in the 72 blazer forum
grnddwn is offline   Reply With Quote