The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2003, 02:39 PM   #1
jawzforlife

Bad noise from front wheel on 2WD

I have a 1990 C1500 4.3 2WD

Well first front passenger caliper froze and after fixing that I noticed my rotor was worped beacuse of the heat (It was glowing bright red, when the caliper froze). So then I got a new rotor. After I put on the new rotor, the shaking while braking stoped (from the worped rotor) but now I have a bad "squeek" (sound like the squeeker on your brake pads). It first I thought my brake pads were too thick for the new rotor, so I put on some older pads that were thinner, but that didn't solve it. So then I switched the new passenger rotor (and inner bearing) with the driver side rotor and inner bearing, still squeeks. Then I got new bearings for the passenger side, still sqeeks. So now the rotor, bearings, and brake pads have all ben changed with no luck. The only thing left to change is the spindal (hub assembally). Could the spindal become damaged when the caliper froze causing everything to get hot.

The noise is worse at 40-50mph, but is constant at any speed. I can hear it when I spin the rotor by hand (with out the caliper on).
Do you know what this problem could be, It didnt start until I replaced the worped rotor with a new rotor (but continued even after I wased the new rotor to the driver side)????
Old 10-23-2003, 03:45 PM   #2
Physh1

Are all the bearings new or just the inner ones? Really does sound like a bad bearing to me. How well did you pack them with grease?

Cameron
Old 10-23-2003, 03:50 PM   #3
jawzforlife

the bearings that are on the passenger side:

outside=new
inside=came from the driverside when I switched rotors (the passenger side went to the driver side, but the noise stayed on the passenger side)

Should I get a new inner bearing anyway. I dont see why. Its only $9.00 so its not going to brake the bank.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
jawzforlife

Also about the bearing: when the caliper froze, it wrecked the bearings, so we put new ones in. So when I got the new rotor I just used the bearings that were there. I didnt hear the noise until I switched rotors (still using the fairly new bearings), but it was still the same bearings.

Does any of this make sense? I'll make a time line so you can see what was replaced when, if that will help.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2003, 04:08 PM   #5
jawzforlife

here take a look at this to clearify what I did and when

Summer 2002
-Caliper froze on passenger side (broke caliper, wore down bearings and warped rotor from heat)
-Replaced caliper and bearings (still had warped rotor)
-Caliper froze again
-Replaced brake line and bearings (still had warped rotor)
-Caliper did not freeze anymore, but I still had a warped rotor so the truck shook when braking.

Summer 2003
-Replaced warped rotor with a new one on passenger side
-Stopped the shaking when braking, but a squeak started
-Replaced brake pads with thinner ones
-Still squeaked
-Swapped new rotor (with inner bearings, with the driver side rotor and inner bearings)
-Still squeaked
-Installed new outer bearings
-Still squeaked

The passenger side currently has different bearings, rotor and brake pads since the squeaking started.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:36 PM   #6
Physh1

Ok....well...whenever you warp a rotor or have serious front end issues with the hub and such I'd always replace all the bearings. I'd also scope out the spindle for scaring and grooviong which would give ya a little free play there which isn't good.

Ideally when you do the brakes on one side you should do the other also....if you don't it tends to brake unevenly...not really an issue here. I'd replace any bearing that haven't been done and I'd be a little concerned about the spindle.

Cameron
Old 10-23-2003, 08:09 PM   #7
jawzforlife

Quote:
Originally posted by Physh1
I'd be a little concerned about the spindle.

Thats what i was thinking, because I've replaced everything else. So it is possible for the spinal to go bad in a situation like this??
Old 10-23-2003, 08:50 PM   #8
Physh1

Yes...a bad bearing or unproperly torqued hub can wear the spindle....the bearing wouldn't seat correctly and the noise could be friction. Everything is worth a thorough inspection.

Cameron
Old 10-23-2003, 10:05 PM   #9
jawzforlife

thanks, I'll look at the spindal more closely. I've already checked the parts store for prices, and they dont have any. I have to go to chevy to get one
Old 10-24-2003, 09:30 AM   #10
PR454SS

Quote:
Originally posted by jawzforlife
thanks, I'll look at the spindal more closely. I've already checked the parts store for prices, and they dont have any. I have to go to chevy to get one
Those trucks are pretty common in the wrencking yards find one that don't have much front end damage and pull the spindle from it.
I wouldn't want to know what a Dealer will want for that

72SWB 350/350TH, 3500stall,525 lift cam 3:73 posi. Sold!
69LWB Flatbed 350/Super T-10, ported/polished 481 heads, 480 lift cam.
78SWB 468/400TH, ported/polished Alum. heads, 3:42 posi, 3000 stall on 17x8 and 18x9.5's
77 Jeep CJ-5 304V8 fiberglass body on 36" Ground Hawgs
PR454SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:59 AM   #11
jawzforlife

Quote:
Originally posted by PR454SS

Those trucks are pretty common in the wrencking yards find one that don't have much front end damage and pull the spindle from it.
I wouldn't want to know what a Dealer will want for that
I'll look around at the yards for one. I know a guy at the Chevy parts counter, so I get parts at a discount.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:43 PM   #12
cdowns

first thing i'd check would be the cotter pin and see if it's hitting the dustcap, after that i'd remove the rotor and inspect the spindle and bearings, b-4 replacing the spindle i'd get new bearings and see if that solves the problem
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:53 PM   #13
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
You might want to check out your backing plate. Since it still squeeks after replacing all of those parts, I would tend to think that your backing plate is bent towards the rotor a little. I really doubt that the spindle would get bent or would cause the brakes to make that type of noise. Plus, it is really easy to bend the backing plates. Just get under there and pull it out with your hand. If it still makes noise, well at least you are not out any money or labor. In my opinon, the bearings would have isolated the rotor from the spindle when your rotor got hot. I have seen rotors glowing in the past, not once did it cause the spindle to get out of shape. In order to do that, I think you would have to have an intense, direct heat source to actually hurt the spindle. Good luck
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:53 PM   #14
jawzforlife

Quote:
Originally posted by cdowns
first thing i'd check would be the cotter pin and see if it's hitting the dustcap, after that i'd remove the rotor and inspect the spindle and bearings, b-4 replacing the spindle i'd get new bearings and see if that solves the problem
I've checked the cotter pin, that isnt it (I wish I was lucky enought for it to be that easy) and since the noise started I have had differant bearings on there (inner and outer)

-first I had the bearings (inner and outer) that were on there before it started to squeak)
-then I traded rotors and inner bearings with the driver side
-then I bought new outer bearings
and it still sqeaks

So I dont think it is the bearings. The noise me be comming from the bearings, but not because they are bad, it probabally because the spindle is bad and the bearings are not sitting on it correctly. But that is just my thought. I'm going to get a diamiter calibrator and make sure the spnidal is still the same size diamiter all the way around. I think something happened to the spindal when the caliper froze causing everything to get hot, but what I cant fiqure out is why i didnt hear this noise until after i put on a new rotor.

Any more thoughts??
Old 10-24-2003, 04:01 PM   #15
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Yeah, read the post above your last one....
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:05 PM   #16
jawzforlife

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy Wrench
You might want to check out your backing plate. Since it still squeeks after replacing all of those parts, I would tend to think that your backing plate is bent towards the rotor a little. I really doubt that the spindle would get bent or would cause the brakes to make that type of noise. Plus, it is really easy to bend the backing plates. Just get under there and pull it out with your hand. If it still makes noise, well at least you are not out any money or labor. In my opinon, the bearings would have isolated the rotor from the spindle when your rotor got hot. I have seen rotors glowing in the past, not once did it cause the spindle to get out of shape. In order to do that, I think you would have to have an intense, direct heat source to actually hurt the spindle. Good luck
on the subject of the backing plate. The only place that backing plate could be making contact in in the center of the plate/rotor. The outer edges do not make contact with the rotor. When I place the rotor on the spindle and turn it by hand I can hear a noise at the same spot every time. And that is just by hand, imagine going 45mph. When I hear this noise the caliper and brake pads are not attached, so I know they dont have anything to do with this problem. Could the center of my rotor br rubbing on the center of the backing plate. What would have caused this to happen. ???I did think of this before, and put extra grease in that spot, to see if the noise would stop, but it didnt. Is there any way to cjeck to see if the rotor and backing plate are making contact in the center (closest to the spindal), there is no way too see with my eyes, is there any trick to check this.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:07 PM   #17
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

You said that it didnt make this squeeking noise with the warped rotor. After you relpaced it with a new one, it started to make noise. Well, this kind of eleminates the spindle, doesnt it? I dont see how a bad bearing would make that kind of noise anyway. Especialy when you said it makes the noise even when you spin it by hand. Unless you are spinning the wheel at a very high speed, I dont see how it would make the noise you described. From what you described, it sounds like something is dragging against the rotor. That is unless you packed the bearings with sand...
Old 10-24-2003, 04:12 PM   #18
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Ok, here is what I would do if I were you. Eleminate every thing that could cause such a noise. Pull everything back off and take off the backing plate. Reinstall everything. If you have no more noise, then you have just found your problem. Its just a process of elemination. If it still makes noise, pull off something else.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:15 PM   #19
jawzforlife

Quote:
You said that it didnt make this squeeking noise with the warped rotor. After you relpaced it with a new one, it started to make noise. Well, this kind of eleminates the spindle, doesnt it? I dont see how a bad bearing would make that kind of noise anyway. Especialy when you said it makes the noise even when you spin it by hand. Unless you are spinning the wheel at a very high speed, I dont see how it would make the noise you described. From what you described, it sounds like something is dragging against the rotor. That is unless you packed the bearings with sand...
Correct, no noise with warped rotor,or the bearings that were there. Then I put in new rotor (used exsisting bearings) now the noise. And yes it does sound like something is dragging againt the rotor. But the only things that come in contact with the rotor are the breaings and possibaly the inner of the rotor rubbing on the backing plate. keep in mind it makes this noise even then the caliper and brake pads are dissconnected from the rotor.

I've evern tried, keeping the nub nut as loose as possible (but staying safe) and as tight as possible. And that didnt work.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:18 PM   #20
jawzforlife

Quote:
Ok, here is what I would do if I were you. Eleminate every thing that could cause such a noise. Pull everything back off and take off the backing plate. Reinstall everything. If you have no more noise, then you have just found your problem. Its just a process of elemination. If it still makes noise, pull off something else.
How much of the backing plate comes off. Beacuse if any thing is rubbing, it would be from the center around the spindal. When the backing plate somes off, with that section come off too.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:28 PM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I have tried to follow all this, now I have a question. When you look at the spindle, is it smooth where the bearing rides? Are there any grooves or signs that the bearing may be turning on the spindle?

Since you have changed bearings around, and the noise still comes back, it's not the bearing it self. The bearing could be rotating on the spindle though. I would not think that it would do it when you turn it by hand though.

I am trying to remember what year GM went to ABS on the 88-98 trucks. Did your old rotor have a ring on the back side near the center that had teeth on it? Does the new one?

If your old rotor was non-ABS without the toothed ring, and the new rotor had the ABS ring on it, it's posible that it could be rubbing something. Maybe one of the bolt heads for the backing plate?????

Just making guesses here. Let us know what you find out....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:08 PM   #22
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

I think it was 95 or 96 when they came with ABS. I know my 94 doesnt have front ABS. I didnt even think about the ring gear. Sometimes those parts guys look up the wrong part number, or get the year wrong. That would make sense though. Hmmmm....very clever grasshopper]
Oh yeah, the backing plate should be 1 peice with about 3 or 4 bolts holding it to the hub.

Last edited by Chevy Wrench; 10-24-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:17 PM   #23
jawzforlife

My 1990 does not have ABS, and the parts guys didnt give me any ABS stuff so we can count that out.

When I look at the spindal were the bearings sit, there isnt any deffinate ware like groves, but you can tell that is were they sit beacuse it is a slightly blacker color. Does this mean the bearings are slipping on the spindal (this is something I've thought all along, but dont know a way to test your prove this theory)??

And now I have good news (or is it bad news)
When I take the wheel/tire off, than the caliper/brakepads off, and spin the rotor by hand, I dont hear anything sound like I use to. But it still sqeaks when I drive.

Also I found out that my front end stearing zerks (spelling?) have not been greased lately. I thought they did it with my oil, but I guess not. Could this have caused a problem. I dont think it did, because the squeak didnt happen until the rotor switch, but you never know. I'm just looking at some other angles here. P.S. I did re-grease the zerks.

**So could the black spots on the spindal where the bearings sit indicate that the bearings are slipping??

**Is the any way to drive without the caliper/brakebads on to make sure the noise isnt comming from the brake pads arnt rubbing on the rotor. I dont think this is the problem, but it would be nice to know for sure. I'm not talking about a 10 mile drive, I can hear the noise by the time i get 10 feet away from my house.

I didnt have time to take the backing plate of today, But I'll try this weekend.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:54 AM   #24
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

I had the same problem recently with my new rotors and bearings. I pulled it all apart and repacked bearings only to find it was the cotter pin rubbing on the dust cap. Oh well better safe than sorry. Check the cap again and look for scratch marks.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:13 AM   #25
jawzforlife

Quote:
Originally posted by phantom dually
I had the same problem recently with my new rotors and bearings. I pulled it all apart and repacked bearings only to find it was the cotter pin rubbing on the dust cap. Oh well better safe than sorry. Check the cap again and look for scratch marks.
I've checked the pin, what i did was put a thin layer of grease on the inside of the cap, then I drove it around the block (i heard the noise), then I took the cap off and looked at it, and there were no signs of the pin scrapin gthe grease off. I even bent the tip of the pin back father and tried at again, and the noise still happens.

So I know its not the pin.