The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2003, 11:18 AM   #26
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

**So could the black spots on the spindal where the bearings sit indicate that the bearings are slipping?? If it's just darker I don't think they are spinning. The steel is going to darken and harden at this point because of the heat. You should be able to tell if it's spinning. There will be grooves/scratches/etc to indicate this

**Is the any way to drive without the caliper/brakebads on to make sure the noise isnt comming from the brake pads arnt rubbing on the rotor.
That sounds kinda scary, but I guess it could be done. You would need to plug the brake line off so you could remove the caliper. Don't say I told ya to do it though
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:28 PM   #27
jawzforlife

I looked at the bearings and spindle, they both have some black spots on them that looked like they could have been caused by some vibration, but not necessarily from the bearing spinning abound. Or are these spots normal because the weight of the truck.

I took of the backing plate; there are no spots that indicate there was something rubbing on it. I’m going to leave the backing plate of and drive it around the block, and see if the noise is still there. If it is I’m going to attempt to leave the caliper off somehow, so I can rule that out as a possibility.

I still feel that is has something to do with the bearings making contact with the spindle. Should I put grease at this contact point, or leave them clean??
Old 10-25-2003, 12:50 PM   #28
jawzforlife

Test drove with out the backing plate. Still had the noise. The issue is not with the backing plate.

Test drove with out the hub cap dust cover. Still had the noise, the cotter pin is not rubbing on the "hub cap" dust cover.

Last edited by jawzforlife; 10-25-2003 at 12:57 PM.
jawzforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 05:07 PM   #29
jawzforlife

PROBLEM SOLVED

Well I went to my grandpa's house so he and my uncle sould listen to this sound. So they get in the truck and go for a ride. Ofcourse there is no noise. Then I thought back, every time somebody sat un the truck with me there was no noise. What does that tell you.......There is a problem with......

The seat

It turns out the small spring the hold the latch under the seat was ratling. I understand if you want to ban me from the site. Lets just say I can change the bearings in my truck in under 10 minutes now, with all the practice I got trying to solve this problem.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:24 PM   #30
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

So after all this were you kinda ???

Next time we see ya, don't be surprised if we

Just kidding. Glad to hear you finally resolved the issue...
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 07:25 PM   #31
jawzforlife

thanks for not being to hard on me, i still find it funny that this all started when i put on the new rotor though