The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2003, 04:16 PM   #1
rodnok1

Question dog walking/bent trailing arm?

My 64 Panel has always dogwalked just a little, wasn't able to locate anything out of wack until recently. After hauling a very heavy trailer recently it started tracking worse. Frame is square, I used the shop manuals to confirm. Front end in good shape, needs rebuilt, but doesn't wander with new steeeing box/pitman arm. I checked the wheelbase and it is different almost 3/4 inch from left to right. Left side is almost 3/4 inch shorter, checked it 3 times to be sure. I cannot seem to isolate it to trailing arm or maybe bent mounting point. Has anyone had this problem, the arms do not appear bent(i am going to template right one and use to check left soon) The other question I have is is the rear end held in line with just the u-bolts or are there alignment pins. rear axle is not bent also. Maybe the left side trailing arm has slid out just a bit?? The ubolts are tight, however it does look like the left bracket is not setting 100% flat on trailing arm, might be up just a tick in frt...hard ot say with lots o crud. Any hints on checked rear susp would be great.
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:18 PM   #2
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

It could be that you have sagging rear springs which would make the tracking bar too long and push the rear end out to the passanger side of the truck. Replacing the rear springs should fix the problem.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:23 AM   #3
boozel67
FORSALE

my 67's right side trailing arm was twisted. the wheelbase was 2" difference from right to left. it dog walked so bad following down the road you could see the whole front tire. replaced it with another and no more problems.