The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
hfd410

5.3 with SLP supercharger

Anybody have pics of, or has anyone put a '10 up camaro SLP blower on a truck motor ? Its a new blower (4k miles) and I am starting a plan on belt routing. Any pics or info appreciated.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:27 AM   #2
NorCalAnthony

Re: 5.3 with SLP supercharger

Probably not going to find many/anyone that's done it. If the blower is for a '10+ Camaro it's made for the rectangular port heads and all the 4.8's and 5.3's have cathedral port heads, or at least for the Gen III's and IV's. There are a couple different cathedral to rectangular port adapters out there to physically bolt the supercharger to the heads but you'll also have to figure out the throttle body electronics if you're doing a DBW setup. If it's a Gen IV 5.3 then you should be able to use the existing throttle body and harness but if it's a Gen III then you'll need an x-link adapter cable to run the larger 4 bolt throttle body with the older TAC module and PCM. Easiest thing might be to find a Gen IV 6.0 truck engine, they came with the rectangular port heads and larger 4 bolt throttle body so the supercharger you have wpould pretty much bolt right on and go.
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony View Post
Probably not going to find many/anyone that's done it. If the blower is for a '10+ Camaro it's made for the rectangular port heads and all the 4.8's and 5.3's have cathedral port heads, or at least for the Gen III's and IV's. There are a couple different cathedral to rectangular port adapters out there to physically bolt the supercharger to the heads but you'll also have to figure out the throttle body electronics if you're doing a DBW setup. If it's a Gen IV 5.3 then you should be able to use the existing throttle body and harness but if it's a Gen III then you'll need an x-link adapter cable to run the larger 4 bolt throttle body with the older TAC module and PCM. Easiest thing might be to find a Gen IV 6.0 truck engine, they came with the rectangular port heads and larger 4 bolt throttle body so the supercharger you have would pretty much bolt right on and go.
Now that is helpful answer for the OP. It sounds like you are well informed to the differences of the generational variations. Let me ask this (hi-jack!) if you don't mind... are there any factory chargers that fit the gen V 5.3?

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
hfd410

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony View Post
Probably not going to find many/anyone that's done it. If the blower is for a '10+ Camaro it's made for the rectangular port heads and all the 4.8's and 5.3's have cathedral port heads, or at least for the Gen III's and IV's. There are a couple different cathedral to rectangular port adapters out there to physically bolt the supercharger to the heads but you'll also have to figure out the throttle body electronics if you're doing a DBW setup. If it's a Gen IV 5.3 then you should be able to use the existing throttle body and harness but if it's a Gen III then you'll need an x-link adapter cable to run the larger 4 bolt throttle body with the older TAC module and PCM. Easiest thing might be to find a Gen IV 6.0 truck engine, they came with the rectangular port heads and larger 4 bolt throttle body so the supercharger you have wpould pretty much bolt right on and go.
Posted via Mobile Device
hfd410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
hfd410

Im aware of the generational differences. I saw where one guy used a belt drive for an LSA blower and it worked perfect according to him but he has'nt replied. But yes, the adapter plates are necessary as well as a corvette water pump with the wide pulley. for belt clearance. I have the camaro pump now but the water neck is in the wrong spot for the LSA drive if I go that route. I will post pics when I get going on it. I'll fab a bracket for the TB, its DBC. Thanks for responses
Posted via Mobile Device
hfd410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
Willie Makeit

it can be done, I used these adapters to mate the rectangle port LSA supercharger to the GEN3/cathedral port heads (2003 5.3). I then used LSX Concepts LSA bracketry for the supercharger, AC compressor, and alternator/power steering with a stock LSA balancer and a GenIV truck water pump. This setup allows for an 8 rib belt to drive ONLY the LSA and a 6 rib belt to drive the accessories. Some folks have used a single belt to drive everything but they experience major belt slip. As far as electronics, we used a Green/Blue ECM with a stock truck DBW throttle body on a custom made 4 bolt to 3 bolt adapter. it took some pretty "creative" tuning to get it where we wanted it and i struggled with IAT's but in the end it was TONS of fun and the truck would easily break the tires loose at 45-50 mph.

I sold the truck about a year ago but let me know if I can help with any questions.
Attached Images

Last edited by Willie Makeit; 12-12-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: stated wrong water pump - it was a GenIV truck pump and not the Camaro pump
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
NorCalAnthony

Sorry should have specified that its doable just super uncommon because of everything that goes along with it. Sounds like you're already aware of what you're getting yourself in to though. Looks like @Willie Makeit has been there and done that but if you need more info I would head over to performancetrucks.net where more than a few people have swapped an LSA supercharger on their Gen III trucks and a lot of the info should be the same. Also check out boostdistrict.com, they sell LSA swap kits from pulley only kits all the way to a bolt on kit with a reman supercharger. Even if you don't want to buy their stuff you might be able to look at what they do and try to mimic it.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
hfd410

so on that setup there are two belts ? would you happen to have any more pics ?
Old 12-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfd410 View Post
Yes sir. LSA was on a 8 rib belt by itself. Everything else is on a 6 rib belt. No other pics currently.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
First c10

I have a question. Is it worth buying a used LSA over buying something like a Whipple or Magnuson Supercharger? Did you get a hell of a deal or something? Just curious.....
I would like to do it to my K10 I am building... a LSA is like $8K, W or M like $6500 new.

Willie that looks great under that hood!!!
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by First c10 View Post
I have a question. Is it worth buying a used LSA over buying something like a Whipple or Magnuson Supercharger? Did you get a hell of a deal or something? Just curious.....
I would like to do it to my K10 I am building... a LSA is like $8K, W or M like $6500 new.

Willie that looks great under that hood!!!
I got my LSA during the infamous ZR1/ZL1/CTS-v dealership swap out for premature wear on the couplers debacle from a few years ago. Replaced the damaged rubber coupler with a solid unit for less than $30 and never looked back. At the time, GM asked dealerships to remove the entire supercharger, replace with a new Eaton unit and "dispose" of the damaged pumps. A "LOT" of those "disposed" damaged pumps ended up on hot rods.

By what I understand, GM has since changed their policy and now imposes a "core charge" and asks for the damaged units to be returned for reimbursement of the core charges whenever a supercharger is replaced.

Thanks for the compliments!

Last edited by Willie Makeit; 12-11-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #12
NorCalAnthony

^What he said lol. It really depends what you can score the used LSA SC for and what condition it's in. If you're lucky you can just swap out the coupler on the cheap but there are also a few companies out there that will do a full rebuild service on them if you are unsure of the condition and want some piece of mind. That Boost District site I mentioned earlier sells LSA SC swap kits with reman SC's for around $4k or a few hundred more for a new warranteed unit which I think is a good price compared to what a new Whipple, Eaton, Edelbrock, etc run.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #13
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfd410 View Post
Believe this is the setup Willie Makeit used https://www.lsxconcepts.com/collecti...e-kit-complete
Just purchased same kit but with the Gilmer drive. Owner is really responsive and worked with me to add or delete accessories. ie: the power steering pump did not flow enough for my ram steering system and would be way over driven with his pulley. He recommended Turn One and they built a pump for my needs.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Believe this is the setup Willie Makeit used https://www.lsxconcepts.com/collecti...e-kit-complete
Just purchased same kit but with the Gilmer drive. Owner is really responsive and worked with me to add or delete accessories. ie: the power steering pump did not flow enough for my ram steering system and would be way over driven with his pulley. He recommended Turn One and they built a pump for my needs.
That is correct, I only purchased brackets and not the actual accessories (water pump, PS pump, etc) though. Most excellent fit, form and function of the parts purchased from LSX Concepts. I would buy again and recommend them to anyone looking to do an LSA project.

p.s. i have a spare stock LSA lower pulley/harmonic balancer if anyone is looking.