The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
JoJaJoJango

Seat Swap 1977 K20

I have a 1977 Chevy K20 Custom Deluxe

I would like to install a new seat. I like the way that the 60/40's look

https://www.amazon.com/Durafit-Seat-.../dp/B00O3IAOJ2
I understand that this is a link to a seat cover. But that is the sort of seat I would like to put in my truck.

Do any of you know of any seats that would work well? If I can do as little customizing or welding that would be great!

If it IS going to take a ton of customizing... Are all seats compatible? For instance, could I pull a seat out of an F150 (just an example) and with enough drilling and welding get it to work?

I am just looking for some ideas or thoughts on this subject. I have read a dozen other forums and been looking on Ebay all day long.
Attached Images

JoJaJoJango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Seat Swap 1977 K20

you could get an extra set of brackets and make anything work... back in the day a popular swap was old Cadillac seats or big buick/olds seats that looked like living room sofas

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
JoJaJoJango

Thank you!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

good looking truck with good looking interior...why are you wanting a seat swap...center console?..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
JoJaJoJango

I will be driving it alone most of the time so I would like the center console. After googling what old Rusty C10 advised I looked up some pictures and happened to come across this by accident Shop4Seats.com. it's a little spendy but this is what I am looking for.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
bluex

I have that seat in my 78, it isnt to awful hard to install it. I did do some welding when I installed mine but I dont think you have to. Here is a video on installing them. I followed this to install mine but I think it would be better to make a frame and only use one set of stock brackets though.

https://youtu.be/a6HsY41BiZI
Attached Images

bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Mattchu60

I just got seats from Shop4seats in the spring - I did the lowback 40/20/40 split seats - American Classic. I have pictures, but I used photobucket and they quit allowing me to post from there recently.

If you do buy them - get the optional lumbar support - I did not and regret it, the non-lumbar version does not have good lower back support.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
abig84

when i bought my k30 someone got rid of the bench and welded in some kinda crappy cloth seats, they were all tore up and hard as a rock.

body shop next door to the place i worked had some seats sitting in a new wrecked volvo they were stripping for parts, didnt need the seats so they let me have them.

2009 volvo seats, with 8 position memory.... only thing i didnt hook up, which would have been nice, was the heated seats. the buttons for that were on the dash or door. think i spent about 2 days getting them mounted on the floor and about another day figuring out the 50 wires per seat.

so needless to say you can pretty much put any kinda seat in these things as long as you dont mind wasting days of your time fabbing up mounts
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #9
JoJaJoJango

Thank you very much for the advice. I think it would be best to buy the seat from shop4seats.com. I will check out that YouTube video beforehand though.

I really dont want to fiddle around with welding it on or drilling into anything IF I can help it! But it is good to know that with some welding you can pretty much put whatever kind of seat you want.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #10
Mattchu60

Which shop4seats choices are you looking at getting?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #11
JoJaJoJango

http://shop4seats.com/laguna-40-20-40-bench-seat.html

I was thinking about blue on black and try to match my truck blue as closely as i can. Per Mattchu60 I will probably get the lumbar support and the mounting bracket for my Chevy. So unfortunately it looks like it will cost about $1100.

BUT in my opinion I think its better to buy the seat that i want with the color I want and the brackets for "easier installation" rather than spending a ton of time searching craigslist, eBay and junk yards trying to find what I want and then fabricating everything to get it to work.

Sure I would save a lot of money. Rounding up I would probably spend about half that if I did all the work myself, maybe more. I will update this thread when i decide and finish up everything.

Thank you again for all of your great advice I really appreciate it alot!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
Mattchu60

Before you get highbacks - look at this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=shop4seats

Guy bought some highbacks and found they didnt fit too great. Just something to think about.