The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
rjs53

VIN tag

I cant remember what the topic was but I have a 54 GMC 1/2 ton no title and no VIN tag some one said that there are tags avaliable can some one piont me in the direction for one? Ive checked with the dmv and its a process for one with out a tag or title but can be done just a long deal.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: VIN tag

Here's one place to get tags: http://trimtags.com/ordering.html but you need a title first.
I don't think anyone will just make a tag for you, since it's illegal. IMHO you need to go the DMV route if you don't even know the VIN of your truck. I don't think there's any other legal way to do it. If you do find the VIN, a towing company may be able to help you. Towing companies have the ability to apply for titles legally for cars that they have towed in which the owner has not picked up.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
mr48chev

Tags are available but that doesn't do you a lot of good without a vin number to put on the tag.

This is the tag you need or the one you need to be looking for on a truck http://www.classicparts.com/1953-54-...ctinfo/33-062/

I'm not saying to do it but I have in the past bought more than one junk AD truck for the title and id plate when there wasn't much more than that there.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Tags are available but that doesn't do you a lot of good without a vin number to put on the tag.

This is the tag you need or the one you need to be looking for on a truck http://www.classicparts.com/1953-54-...ctinfo/33-062/

I'm not saying to do it but I have in the past bought more than one junk AD truck for the title and id plate when there wasn't much more than that there.
There are probably quite a few "original" collector cars and trucks out there that started out a good cowl or dash with everything built around it. One of the reasons I haven't bought into the numbers correct scene. Someone once said there are more BB 65-67 Corvettes currently registered as original then were made.

Last edited by OrrieG; 07-04-2010 at 02:53 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
rjs53

checked with the DMV i can put the cab on a newer or differant frame if it has a vin stamped in it it will be registered as what ever year the frame is a new title and vin will be issued. just takes a little longer to do thanks for the help everyone
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Someone once said there are more BB 65-67 Corvettes currently registered as original then were made.
I read recently that there are five times as many Model A's on the road as Henry ever built. I don't know if its true or not.

This is why I usually start with the paperwork when looking at a prospective purchase. It doesn't matter how nice the metal is if you are never going to be able to register it.

VIN is an 80's thing. Back in the 50's and 60's serial numbers were all that where used. While vehicle identification number is a meaningful phrase even going back decades, it now has a legal definition and applying the term to earlier cars and trucks is adding confusion to an already difficult situation.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote