The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
tipshep

5-6 spd manual trans,4x4

Looking to put a manual trans in a 90 K1500,currently 700r4.Rockland Standard Gear has a 6 speed, but I'm wondering about other possibilities, just not a "truck" trans, slow shifting clunky thing. can any of the Tremec 5/6 speeds and others be mated to the transfer case? It's a NP 241, will go through it when doing the swap.Thanks
tipshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
scotts62
One day...

Re: 5-6 spd manual trans,4x4

TTT,

Can anyone else chime in to help out on the answer?

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
LynnJr

TipShep
Any 4x4 tranny from a 1990 -1995 will bolt right up and will work.You must get the shift tower with the tranny as they changed but they will still work.One is short with a big tower and the other is taller with a shorter tower.
They are patterned after the old ZF trannies and shift just like a car not a truck.

You can use the cast iron heavy duty truck tranny if you like granny low I don't and I probably 4 wheel more than the next 15 guys you'll meet.

If you make the swap tell the wrecker you need one out of a V8 or you'll be buzzing the motor up too much with a V6 tranny.
Lynn
LynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
stevejohnson48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
TipShep
Any 4x4 tranny from a 1990 -1995 will bolt right up and will work.You must get the shift tower with the tranny as they changed but they will still work.One is short with a big tower and the other is taller with a shorter tower.
They are patterned after the old ZF trannies and shift just like a car not a truck.

You can use the cast iron heavy duty truck tranny if you like granny low I don't and I probably 4 wheel more than the next 15 guys you'll meet.

If you make the swap tell the wrecker you need one out of a V8 or you'll be buzzing the motor up too much with a V6 tranny.
Lynn
So what your saying is than switching from the 700r4 automatic to a 5 sp. manual you won't have to change out the rear tail shaft so the match to the transfer boxuses both the manual and the automatic Shaft are the same diameter and spline count??/

Last edited by stevejohnson48; 01-26-2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: misspelled word
stevejohnson48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
LynnJr

No what I am saying is get the whole unit from the wrecker with the transfer case hanging on it.Very few transfer cases go bad and they are not worth anything used.In California they run $500 used and we pay more than anybody does.
If the shafts don't work the wrecker will have ones that do work without any fitment issues.
If he goes Tremec 6 speed does it all bolt up?

He asked a question and received my answer for free and I have worked on plenty of these trucks.I am not an 18 year old offering advise here but if that is what this forum is all about have at it.I don't need to be here.
Lynn
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
stevejohnson48

Quote:
No what I am saying is get the whole unit from the wrecker with the transfer case hanging on it.Very few transfer cases go bad and they are not worth anything used.In California they run $500 used and we pay more than anybody does.
If the shafts don't work the wrecker will have ones that do work without any fitment issues.
If he goes Tremec 6 speed does it all bolt up?

He asked a question and received my answer for free and I have worked on plenty of these trucks.I am not an 18 year old offering advise here but if that is what this forum is all about have at it.I don't need to be here.
Lynn
Yes but Scott62// Lynn JR may be??/
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Mr_Rich

You may try this link.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax15.htm

It's a good trans and I bet it would work well in a light duty truck. Most of the references I found for a truck trans is an NV4500.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 AM   #8
LynnJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejohnson48 View Post
SteveJohnson
I haven't got a clue why you are posting on this thread and I don't follow your gibberish posted above.If you have something to say just say it.
You seem to have a problem with my answer so please post your own answer.
Lynn
Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
tipshep

Smile Re: 5-6 spd manual trans,4x4

Quote:
TipShep

Lynn
Thanks for your input, don't know where that other guy was coming from..
Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
stevejohnson48

Quote:
SteveJohnson
I haven't got a clue why you are posting on this thread and I don't follow your gibberish posted above.If you have something to say just say it.
You seem to have a problem with my answer so please post your own answer.
Lynn
Quot from tipshiep can any of the Tremec 5/6 speeds and others be mated to the transfer case? It's a NP 241, will go through it when doing the swap.Thanks::Nothing said about tail shaft requirements from 700r4 to 5 sp manual??/ TipShep From Lynn
They are patterned after the old ZF trannies and shift just like a car not a truck.Again nothing said about transfer box So as to you eariler Quot From LYNN;I am not an 18 year old offering advise here but if that is what this forum is all about have at it.I don't need to be here.
Lynn/// Me Steve the whole question was about what it take to change over from a 700r4 to a 5 or 6 SP manual tipshiep indicated that he was going to go through his existing 241,how do you expect his existing 241 trans box to fit a manual you may not be a 18 year old but But.But you know that when your were <HYPOTHETICAL> 18 years old(As Mr. tipshiep may be)you vary will might have gone to the salvage yard and asked for manual transmission with out the tranfer box with what infomation was given that{and again} he was going to rebuild his existing transfer box!!!/SEE BELOW
TipShep
They are patterned after the old ZF trannies and shift just like a car not a truck.////I'm vary interested in performing this task only in reverse as wanting to change a NV 3500 (GETRAG)to a 700r4 with a 241 transfer box!!/So under standing that ADVANCED ADOPTERS sells tail shafts that will fit my manual transfer box and since I'm going to go through both transmission and transfer box I felt it might a worthy mention as to the tail shaft options
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
stevejohnson48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipshep View Post
Looking to put a manual trans in a 90 K1500,currently 700r4.Rockland Standard Gear has a 6 speed, but I'm wondering about other possibilities, just not a "truck" trans, slow shifting clunky thing. can any of the Tremec 5/6 speeds and others be mated to the transfer case? It's a NP 241, will go through it when doing the swap.Thanks
Did any one in this post mention drive shaft changes??/
Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipshep View Post
^^^ This is the original poster's question ^^^

vvv These are four replies by one member that dominate this thread vvv
Quote:
So what your saying is than switching from the 700r4 automatic to a 5 sp. manual you won't have to change out the rear tail shaft so the match to the transfer boxuses both the manual and the automatic Shaft are the same diameter and spline count??/
Quote:
Quote:
Quot from tipshiep can any of the Tremec 5/6 speeds and others be mated to the transfer case? It's a NP 241, will go through it when doing the swap.Thanks::Nothing said about tail shaft requirements from 700r4 to 5 sp manual??/ TipShep From Lynn
They are patterned after the old ZF trannies and shift just like a car not a truck.Again nothing said about transfer box So as to you eariler Quot From LYNN;I am not an 18 year old offering advise here but if that is what this forum is all about have at it.I don't need to be here.
Lynn/// Me Steve the whole question was about what it take to change over from a 700r4 to a 5 or 6 SP manual tipshiep indicated that he was going to go through his existing 241,how do you expect his existing 241 trans box to fit a manual you may not be a 18 year old but But.But you know that when your were <HYPOTHETICAL> 18 years old(As Mr. tipshiep may be)you vary will might have gone to the salvage yard and asked for manual transmission with out the tranfer box with what infomation was given that{and again} he was going to rebuild his existing transfer box!!!/SEE BELOW
TipShep
They are patterned after the old ZF trannies and shift just like a car not a truck.////I'm vary interested in performing this task only in reverse as wanting to change a NV 3500 (GETRAG)to a 700r4 with a 241 transfer box!!/So under standing that ADVANCED ADOPTERS sells tail shafts that will fit my manual transfer box and since I'm going to go through both transmission and transfer box I felt it might a worthy mention as to the tail shaft options
Quote:
Did any one in this post mention drive shaft changes??/
^^^ Sorry,but I'm failing to see any facsimile of an answer to the question in all this ^^^
Not one grain of help,either. Is someone off their medication?

Yeah,I think your best bet would be a swap from auto - manual from the same or similar donor truck. Searching for all the stuff will kill the project. Get it all from one truck. The NV3500s and 4500s shift smooth and fast,unlike previous truck transmissions. I believe there may even be a short throw kit for the NV3500?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
scotts62
One day...

Quote:
Quote:
TipShep
Doesnt really matter what the age is if someone has an helpful reply... Back on track and thanks for the ones trying to help and not stir the pot.

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
tipshep

Thanks everyone that had pertinent input, others, not so much. I'll do some checking in the local yards, I guess the 3500 is Alum. case, built in bell, the 4500 is Iron? and separate bell? Just wanting a manual w/od, easy shifting. The Rockland Std gear is a bit spendy, and needs to be drilled/tapped for transfer case the way I understand. Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I have only dealt with NV4500s. IIRC w/o looking,the case is aluminum...maybe a combination. I know up by the bellhousing it's aluminum. And,yes,the bellhousing is separate. The slave cyl is external below the starter

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
LynnJr

Muncie SM 465

Top-loaded, tower-shift "granny-low" transmissions found in light and heavy duty applications. Cast iron case with cast iron top cover from 1968-87 and an aluminum top cover 1988-91. Non-synchronized 1st with brass synchro rings for 2nd-4th. All main shaft gears ride on bushings pressed on the shaft. The only gears that are removable from the countershaft are 3rd and 4th. Has GM casting numbers and two P.T.O. covers.

New Venture 3500/HM 290/5LM60
All aluminum case integral bell housing and a "Waffle" pattern on the outside.

New Venture 4500
1992-1996 cast iron case aluminum shift tower non-integral bell housing.

Externally the NV3500/HM290/5LM60 all fit the same but internally they are very different.You don't want a 6 cylinder transmission in a V8 so If your shopping Pick-N-Pull or E-Bay make sure you get a tranny off of a V8.Also some had low towers like the 1990-1992's and some had high towers like the 1993-1995 models so make sure you get the shifter with the transmission.The difference is only an inch but they don't swap.
Lynn
Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
Mr_Rich

I picked up the latest Four Wheeler mag and there was an ad in the New Products section about a T-56 Magnum. The pic was complete with bellhousing, trans, trans adapter, and transfer case. I didn't think such parts existed. I guess you wait long enough and "they will come..." ;^) I would love to mod my truck with such a setup, but it would probably cost 4X what a pro re-built 700R4 would cost for my truck. I'll plan on a new 700R4....
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote