The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
Nightrider

84 c20 cummins

Hey everybody so I've been driving my 1984 c20 with a Detroit diesel with a 700r4 transmission for a while... It has 170,000 miles and never had a problem. It also has ice cold a/c haha but anyways I would like to but a 12v 6bt cummins in it was a nv4500 5 speed.. I've seen on this chevy forum a guy did it but it was on a 1970 c20 I did not know if I would have clearance problems with the the peice that holds the front suspension together (not sure what it's called..) I know the cummins oil pans go alot lower I believe.. I've found a motor and transmission swap but really waiting to get it to see what yall think and have done... Please let me know I'm waiting on the best info to get started. And yes i know some things will have to be built but I know this lol. Thanks guys!!
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
44th Miss Inf

Re: 84 c20 cummins

I did it on an 80s 2wd for a gentleman years back (used an automatic for him) and don't remember any issues. I saw the truck parked behind another guy's house the other day. If o get a chance, I'll stop by, and see if I can get pictures

If it is a second gen Cummins (p pump) you are looking at, see if you can find a 1st gen intercooled fan hub. It is a direct replacement, but give another inch or so of clearance. I'm rounding up parts to do another conversation on an 88 CC K30 (this will be my 13th Conversion over the years of Cummins into Fords and Chevys)
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Nightrider

OK awesome ya if you could please get some pictures that would be awesome! I really want to do it and yes I'm go with the 12v with the p pump and I'll look for that part you said.. If I have to ill just run electric fans instead of the stock big fan...
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

I am interested in this swap too as I never had a diesel truck, but it is for another day.

Things I have learned from reading forums, and dreaming.

Take the clip off unless you are an expert at the swap, and the cab if you can. One guy got a cheap 3" body lift on his cab for extra room I read on a forum. Looked like a good idea in pictures.

Get the P-pump of power is what you want. The VE is good to 400hp.

Don't discount the 4BT swaps. They are easier since it is shorter, and offer more power then the factory diesel you have.

You can do the Ford International IDI diesels, but they don't do power. Supposedly they are smoother, more easy starting, and can do better mpg then cummins. Beyond a couple basic fuel tricks, and a low pressure turbo. No real power vs a cummins.

People sometimes notch the cab to run the engine a little further back. I have used a wheel barrow for the steel to do it before with a friend. Then we reused the trans tunnel we cut out, and mover it back. This gives more room for the fan, but can mess up AC/heater ducting. Depending on how far they went.

Consider buying a whole Ram truck to pull everything off of. Some have even just dropped cab of choice on the Ram frame for simplicities sake.

The 4BT can have GM SAE bell housings, and they transfer to the 6BT easily with hand tools.

Finnegan's garage on you tube has a couple of nice videos showing the trouble he went through.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote