The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
Jaysonb

Tbi tune up questions

I picked up a 87 k10 this evening, has about 111,000 miles on it. Seems to run ok going down the road, but runs a little rough when cold, I noticed you need to depress the gas pedal a little to start it up, and over all feels like it's not running 100%. This is my first 350 with a tbi. Any suggestions on things that generally need to be replaced, or things to check??? Thanks for the help.
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
Tetanus Express

Re: Tbi tune up questions

Check and see how much fuel pressure you have. I rebuilt the motor in the one I used to have and everything was new and I mean everything. Put a new AC/Delco fuel pump in the tank with a new sock on the unit and it lasted about 6 months then started to act like it was starving and had a constant miss. Put new plugs and another new fuel pump with new sock and its fixed the problem. It may not be your problem but it would be a good start seeing how it seems to acting the same as mine did. Something else to check is the cap and button. Make sure they are not cracked or has any burnt spots.
Tetanus Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
Tiger Joe

Check fuel filter on frame. i rarely drive my 87 TBI and forgot about changing the filter until I started searching for a random stumble and idle issue I had developed
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #4
Tetanus Express

Yep! Forgot to mention that also. Filter could maybe be the first as it will be the cheaper of the basic items that will be considered routine maintenance. Also inspect the plug wires really good and pull the plugs and see if they need or could stand to be replaced. After checking all that and nothing seems to change the problem check you compression. Did or has the truck been sitting up for a while? Hope you get the fix and it is minimal.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
Jaysonb

Thanks guys, I'm not sure of the trucks history. I will start by giving it a full tune up.
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Mattchu60

Another thing to look at - Check vacuum lines for leaks, mine were old and cracked which lead to leaks.

My TBI ran rough and stumbled when I got it, the biggest issue I had was the cap/rotor and plug wires. They looked new but found they were no good in the end.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
redneckwheelman2

mine had always ran alittle rough in the cold. i had just figured it to be the fact that it was tbi and also the fact that the 02 sensors are trying to warm up so they're not being used for the first couple minute's till they warm up.
the depressing the gas pedal might mean the iac isn't working/dirty. they can get sticky and hangup and cause some idle problems

or possibly initial timing is alittle off

2002 chevy 2500hd extended long- blackbear tune. DD
redneckwheelman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
Tetanus Express

One last note to add that if you are going to do a tune up, do it one item at a time and crank and run the truck to see if what you just replaced was the issue. That way at least you will know what the problem was and that it was taken care for piece of mind sack. Lol. It will get frustrating but hopefully not. Just know that it was and is a process to find out what the issue is. Good luck on the fix and let us know what the issue and fix was.