The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
Richard

Dana 60 front axle

Are these all gone? Having a heck of a time finding one. Nothing around me and no seems to be able to locate any single rear wheel fronts. Want to avoid Dynatrac and Currie axles as I do not want to spend 5k+ and do not want to be tied into non oem parts.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
dozerbill72

Re: Dana 60 front axle

They are still out there. There is a guy on Ebay that usually has several of them, the down side for you is he is on the east coast. I just picked up single wheeled one lockout to lockout with 4:56 gears at the scrap yard of all places for $200.
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
b454rat

I used to sell them all the time. There getting few n far between but out there. Buying a truck with one in it.....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Guys around here buy the old military squares at Gov auctions,,,,just for the d60... then part out the rest

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Are these all gone? Having a heck of a time finding one. Nothing around me and no seems to be able to locate any single rear wheel fronts. Want to avoid Dynatrac and Currie axles as I do not want to spend 5k+ and do not want to be tied into non oem parts.
Boyce Equipment rebuilt base price for a D60 is now $2880. But it is a quick drop-in and run. I don't think it's a bad price. They used to sell the CUCV axles as sets: the D60 and 14bolt with 4.56s. I bought the Boyce axle set about five years ago, I think I paid around $2300 or $2500 for front and rear. It saved me going through my axles and they pretty much dropped in. I did get a new rear shaft.

Bottom line: if you're going through an axle anyway, you can think of the money for parts and time saved on rebuild as a discount.

https://www.boyceequipment.com/dana-...60s-more-axles

j
Old 12-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
sweetk30

i got 2 bare housings and parts to build one and also a full ready 4.10 gear srw unit but i am on the east coast and shipping to your side is a money grabbing b.i.t.c.h these days .

crazy thing is i cant get 900 bucks for the ready to go srw axle here but i could get 3x that on your side of the usa for sure .

i built 1 dana 60 front with gears / ARB locker / 4340 shafts / 35 spline hubs / REID knuckles / and lots of other goody parts . in the end i could have had a brand new built to spec axle for cheeper than my parts / time and got a warranty also .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:25 AM   #7
Richard

A guy called me back today. Said he found an axle, wants 2,300 will not send pics and I am pretty sure it is a from a dwr. Told him no. Thanks for mentioning Boyce. Called them today. Looking at about 3,400 shipped, Blasted, painted, fully rebuilt and re-geared to 5.38. Probably go that route if I am going to go over 1,200-1,500. My brother in Idaho is going to check around there for me. Am going to visit first part of the new year, do you think I can bring it back as a carry on? If he finds a good enough deal I may make the drive.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
sweetk30

bare housing is just under 150 lbs .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
jeffahart

Quote:
A guy called me back today. Said he found an axle, wants 2,300 will not send pics and I am pretty sure it is a from a dwr. Told him no. Thanks for mentioning Boyce. Called them today. Looking at about 3,400 shipped, Blasted, painted, fully rebuilt and re-geared to 5.38. Probably go that route if I am going to go over 1,200-1,500. My brother in Idaho is going to check around there for me. Am going to visit first part of the new year, do you think I can bring it back as a carry on? If he finds a good enough deal I may make the drive.
Not as carry on, but if you stuff it in a dog costume you can call it a therapy pet! Wow shipping seems high. They shipped both axles to me in the set for $250 back in 2014 and I think fuel prices have gone down. Maybe you can ring them back and negotiate harder. Worth a try.

j
Old 12-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #10
Richard

2014 was last century as far as shipping prices go. Seems like double for shipping as a consumer. Have quite a few bulky heavy items I just cannot sell except local due to shipping. I was actually surprised shipping will only be about $200. My motor and trans on a pallet was around $500 I believe. The basic rebuilt axle is $2,800, they only charge for the gears if you want a different ratio because the axle is stripped anyway. $400 is pretty much what I have seen for a 5.38 r&p. Not to bad really. I will check into some rental costumes for the axle. My brother seems confident that he can find me an axle for under $400...…...I will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Not as carry on, but if you stuff it in a dog costume you can call it a therapy pet! Wow shipping seems high. They shipped both axles to me in the set for $250 back in 2014 and I think fuel prices have gone down. Maybe you can ring them back and negotiate harder. Worth a try.

j
Old 12-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
b454rat

Try Fastenal. They shipped a 8.1 to Washington. Think it was only couple hundred bucks.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #12
jeffahart

Quote:
2014 was last century as far as shipping prices go. Seems like double for shipping as a consumer. Have quite a few bulky heavy items I just cannot sell except local due to shipping. I was actually surprised shipping will only be about $200. My motor and trans on a pallet was around $500 I believe. The basic rebuilt axle is $2,800, they only charge for the gears if you want a different ratio because the axle is stripped anyway. $400 is pretty much what I have seen for a 5.38 r&p. Not to bad really. I will check into some rental costumes for the axle. My brother seems confident that he can find me an axle for under $400...…...I will see.
Oh, I see extra bucks for the gear set. Not too bad for shipping.

Note: Don't forget the inner axle on the older dana 60s neck down:
Front D60 Stock Spicer Axleshafts: Older stock Dana 60 35 spline inner axles (particularly pre-1980) neck down from 1.5” at the splines to 1.3" in the middle of the shaft.

Later inner axles (1980+) are 1.500” at the splines. 1.562" at the seal surface, and taper up to 1.625” at the largest diameter. You can upgrade by simply buying newer axles. Also, if you get a $400 axle you can do dana 70 35 spline stub shafts while you're at it. check out this link about the inner axle neck down... something you should ask Boyce too, if you go that route

http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...ble/index.html

Also, here's an old article that fourwheeler magazine did a few years ago about Dana 60 junkyard vs custom... in the end same price!!!

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...s-dynatrac-60/

lots of fun choices for sure... if you have a few bucks to spend!

j

Last edited by jeffahart; 12-23-2019 at 01:24 PM. Reason: I cut my finger, that's why I have so many typo's. My story stick'in too it
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #13
b454rat

That article is full of ****. I built a lot of Dana 60s n cost no where near that price.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #14
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by b454rat View Post
That article is full of ****. I built a lot of Dana 60s n cost no where near that price.
I want to buy one from you... what's in it and how much $ ??

Thanks,

j
Old 12-24-2019, 04:03 AM   #15
Richard

Thank for all the tips. That article was 2012. When I was dreaming about building my truck back then I think the same axle was around 3K.
Present day- even with the salvage 60 prices gone up I still think I can save quite a bit. Going with the Boyce axle and upgrading the axle shafts think it still will be quite a savings. I don't really need the high pinion. Dynatrac axles start at 5k for a front 60. That is for their Jeep preconfigured units. Custom configuration, better axle shafts and the prices escalate quickly. At a local off road shop here the guy showed me a Jeep that had Dynatrac 60's front and rear, 18k+ in axles.
I honestly appreciate any input given. Have been out of this for some time. Have not driven my 72 in over 10 years. Am really excited to get going on my 72 transformation.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #16
jeffahart

Quote:
Thank for all the tips. That article was 2012. When I was dreaming about building my truck back then I think the same axle was around 3K.
Present day- even with the salvage 60 prices gone up I still think I can save quite a bit. Going with the Boyce axle and upgrading the axle shafts think it still will be quite a savings. I don't really need the high pinion. Dynatrac axles start at 5k for a front 60. That is for their Jeep preconfigured units. Custom configuration, better axle shafts and the prices escalate quickly. At a local off road shop here the guy showed me a Jeep that had Dynatrac 60's front and rear, 18k+ in axles.
I honestly appreciate any input given. Have been out of this for some time. Have not driven my 72 in over 10 years. Am really excited to get going on my 72 transformation.
Article is old but the principle still applies. If you think you can build an axle like the dynatrac and save money by building yourself, the savings is negligible. But that's an apples to apples build comparison, and who want's that when you have choices galore and a fair budget.

Here's why I did the 60. I was looking to replace my D44 open knuckle drum axle. I spent time trying to find a decent D44 disc. It started taking too much time. I even spent time to look at a few axles that were not what was described/advertised. I was glad I found boyce, I feel like the price, above what another axle and rebuild and time, was more than fair. The 60 drop in was the easy button for a few bucks more.

One other thing. I did end up buying a new front shaft. It turned out to be too long. Not sure if that was the case when the 44 was up front. But I didn't discover until I pulled the trans and transfer for rebuild. So measure before you pull the 44. I assumed drop in, someone could have swapped my front shaft. But I assumed it stock, I'm still not sure.

The price from Boyce is not bad and I like how they treated me.

Have fun... Merry Christmas!

j
Old 12-26-2019, 12:58 AM   #17
Richard

Merry Christmas to you as well. Will see what my brother turns up in the next month. He is a bit optimistic I think. Boyce is looking like a good option. Seeing as I am going from 1/2 ton to 3/4-1 ton drive train and my transfer case is mooving back 6"-8" due to the 6l90 new high angle drivelines and larger yokes are planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Article is old but the principle still applies. If you think you can build an axle like the dynatrac and save money by building yourself, the savings is negligible. But that's an apples to apples build comparison, and who want's that when you have choices galore and a fair budget.

Here's why I did the 60. I was looking to replace my D44 open knuckle drum axle. I spent time trying to find a decent D44 disc. It started taking too much time. I even spent time to look at a few axles that were not what was described/advertised. I was glad I found boyce, I feel like the price, above what another axle and rebuild and time, was more than fair. The 60 drop in was the easy button for a few bucks more.

One other thing. I did end up buying a new front shaft. It turned out to be too long. Not sure if that was the case when the 44 was up front. But I didn't discover until I pulled the trans and transfer for rebuild. So measure before you pull the 44. I assumed drop in, someone could have swapped my front shaft. But I assumed it stock, I'm still not sure.

The price from Boyce is not bad and I like how they treated me.

Have fun... Merry Christmas!

j
Old 12-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #18
JA50N

I just picked up a set of axles, 60/14 bolt with 4.56 gears for 1600 bucks out here. I guess the east coast still has a lot of them around because the trucks rotted away long before the axle.

Also, I don't see on Dynatech's website where they make a passenger side drop leaf spring anything. Maybe it was different when that article came out but all they have now is Jeep stuff and the occasional Tacoma part.
JA50N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:29 AM   #19
Richard

Thanks Jeff for the offer on the axles. Bummer I cannot take you up on it. 80 hours driving round trip for me.

@ JA50N Dynatrac will still build custom axles. Just not listed on website. Prices are more.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #20
Honest Bob

Offroad design makes adaptors to fit a dodge dana 60 in a gm. That might broaden your search.

https://www.offroaddesign.com/suspen...-swap-kit.html
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:55 PM   #21
Richard

Thanks for thinking of me. Wont be needing those as I will have custom length Deaver leafs front and back. Still thinking about using the ORD coil over conversion on the front though. Want to stick with a Chevy front due to the hubs. Funny that I will be converting it to Dodge rotors and calipers though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
Offroad design makes adaptors to fit a dodge dana 60 in a gm. That might broaden your search.

https://www.offroaddesign.com/suspen...-swap-kit.html