The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Wood Booger
Only a long story if I tell it

Any way around backed up registration fees

I have a vehicle that has not been registered in a long time and the fees have stacked up. Is there any leagal way around this problem, because I really don't want to have to pay all that money. I'd rather put it into fixing the truck if possible.
Wood Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Any way around backed up registration fees

Maybe if you could prove that it has been non-op for all those years, or if it's been unregistered for so long it may be off the books? If you are a AAA member I'd walk in and see what your options are, they are a lot more willing to hear your story than the DMV person for sure. Good luck!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Wood Booger

I talked to the DMV and they gave me a print out of all the fees. They told me that it was never non-oped. How could AAA help me? I'm assuming that it is still on the books, considering they found it on the computer.

Last edited by Wood Booger; 04-17-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
pritch

Sell it to a buddy for a few bucks and then buy it back for a few bucks. I don't know about there, but it works here.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
1956cameo

Not 100% sure what is going on but I think I have a good idea. Here in TX you pay that years registration and it is registered. You dont pay it is not. You can go years without it bieng registered and go into the DMV and just pay the current years registration and not have to pay any back fees. No need to have it labeled as inoperable; if it isn't registered the state assumes for one reason or another that its innoperable. Sorry you have to do stuff like that in CA. Sounds like they are just trying to squeeze you for a little bit more.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
rockc

The dmv here too wants all back year money that it was not registered. Does make a difference who you get at the dmv and what time of the month it is on weather you get a break. Do like pritch said and should be ok. Might cost a little for notery.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

In Cali, if you buy it, you are now responsible for all back registration fees ... it's a crock of crap the way they do that.
The only way I am aware of, is to wait till it is off the books, which can happen in as little as a few years, or simply, never fall off.... or you can put the title in some one's name who is out of state, get the title chainged over to that state, then buy it back.
Depending on your back registration fees, it may be worth the BS.
And if you do happen to go with the latter plan... I hope you trust the friend.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
mr48chev

Washington is the same as Texas. If you don't register the rig that year so be it, register it when you need to drive it or when you have it running again. They do stick us with a stiff tab for not changing a dated title over though. I think that is about 100 on top of the other fees and I have one of those go through pretty soon as I decided to fix a rig I originally bought as a parts car and it is better than the one I wanted parts for.
On that line we can go Title purpose Only when we buy a project car and not have to register it until we are ready.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
burbguy

for years we here in california, would register our vehicles out of state (mostly Oregon) but Oregon needs to see the vehicle in person. By doing that your calif. penalty's would fall off. The only thing is you would need to leave it registered up there for at least 6 months if I remember right. The other option would be to have a friend thats a dismantler do a "junk" slip on it, but then you'd have a permanantly branded title with a "salvage" on it. As far as leaving it out of the system it takes 7 years to "fall" off the system. The problem with that is every time you call DMV to inquire about it, you generate interest in the vehicle, and your 7 years start all over again(which really sucks). The best bet for you is register out of state... "oklahoma" is a good state to register it in, as they do not need to see it in person, and you could get it done all by mail. I have a small trucking company and have run into this problem thru the years, and if you need any help Im me, and I can probably help you navigate doing it in Oklahoma, as I have a buddy that has done it for me on one of our peterbilts.
burbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

Oklahoma does have to see the vehicle, I just registered my vehicle with a kansas title in oklahoma about 2 weeks ago and I had to have it looked at. Kansas is the same way if you register an out of state title, they must see the vehicle. Hope you get it worked out, I would say registering in another state would be the answer, but is it worth the money and hassle.....??????

Tommy
ksbrktracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
Wood Booger

I have lived in California my whole life and it just keeps getting worse. Spend spend spend and then charge every one else to make up for it. It is nice to to see that there are still some states out there, like Texas , that still have a pair.

Thanks for all the input folks.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
70 Suburban
Rods

The fees are not for back registration. they are a fine for not registering within the time limit.The only way to get out of it is to have a bill of sale and a statement of fact that tells them you just payed off the truck and took possession of it. They will have you mark out the date on the tittle and write in the date on the bill of sale and tittle request form. If you were not in possession of it and paying on it they shouldn't make you pay any fees.
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

wood booger... how much back registration is owed on it?
Ohio needs to inspect the vehicle too before getting it titled here.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #14
Wood Booger

about fourteen years
Old 04-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Find another DMV clerk (you may have to stand back for a while and watch each clerk and look for the happy ones and the ones that seem to be the most helpful to each client. Then explain that you brought this vehicle and you want to register it in your name and you want to find out what the process is. She then will tell you about the back fees, and you can ask surprise, and indicate the person you just brought it from lied to you about the fees, and you cannot afford to register it, and that you are going to just junk it out. This way, it indicates that CA and DMV are at risk of loosing yearly fees for this vehical if you junk it out. Hopefully the DMV agent will have you sign a statment of facts of what you just said, and then her or shift manager can reduce the fees in hopes that you will register it. I have done this a few times, knocking off as much as $1000 ($1400 down to $400). Not a sure thing, but if you find the right clerk, they do have wiggle room.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
burbguy

I also agree with that, as I have had very nice clerks at times, and they have been able to play with the computer a little, and get fees adjusted a little... I hope it works for you... good luck...!!
burbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:08 AM   #17
Musclerodz

oklahoma caps back registration to 2 years plus current fees. when your talking about $25 a year to register old cars, here it only adds up to $100-$125 to bring one current. Only out of state vehicles does OK want to see them to verify it does exist. I have done a handful lately just to make sure we had clean titles before we started working on any of our projects.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #18
Wood Booger

I was told the truck was non-oped. I wish I would have checked on it earlier, before all the fees stacked up.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #19
olblue60@aol.com

It sounds alot easier to look around for a truck being parted and purchase vins tags and title. Hart rob is parting a suburban now.
1941 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1972 Camaro SS 396 #s matching
1971 Harley FX Superglide
olblue60@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #20
1956cameo

Wow! Looks like I have it easy again. In TX you can get a vehicle titled from in or out of state and not have to have it inspected; heck you don't even have to have it registered when you title it. I just got most of my old trucks titled into my name and the dept of motor vehicles asked if I wanted to register them. I said no because most wont be road worthy for a couple more years. They said okay your title will come to you in the mail in a couple of weeks. The only thing we dont have that would be nice is the ability to get a title on a bill of sale only for old vehicles, or not need a title for a vehicle over a certain age.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #21
Wood Booger

Well, I traveled an hour to a DMV that doesn't have much business and got the results I was looking for. I did the normal paper work and let the clerk no that when I was given the vehicle, I was told it was non-oped. She looked some stuff in a book, typed it in, and droped the fees from $900 to $170. Thanks for all the input folks!