The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
chris1044

Drop spindle kit - which one

So, I've done some searching here, and I'm looking to get a drop spindle kit possibly.

I want to convert to disc up front (64') but don't want to spend the $$ on new wheels right now. I've got 15" rims, so that means 12" rotors is what I need. Here are my questions:

1) I've read many bad things about CPP, a couple about McGaughy's - what have you guys used? I plan to stick with my 64 control arms/steering linkage for now and thus don't want to do ball joints (mine are new MOOG anyhow)

2) Is it really worth it to just purchase a kit? Rotors/calipers/pads/misc. hardware are really just standard parts from later trucks...for those of you that have pieced them together, would you do it again or drop 600 on a kit?
chris1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Drop spindle kit - which one

What I did on the 65 was just order the spindles to fit the a arms. Then went to the junk yard and got the splash shields. Order the 6 lug rotors from Summit as they have the best price. get new calipers, pads hoses, hard lines and bolts from the auto parts store. Ge the adapter bracket from Captain fab here on the board and get a new or used booster (lots of options) and a new master cylinder and do the power brake conversion. All told I had about $500 in doing it all.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
racecougar

As much as I was opposed to purchasing a kit from CPP, we couldn't get around the savings compared to POL, ECE, etc. After assembling it a couple weeks ago, I have zero complaints.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
chris1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
What I did on the 65 was just order the spindles to fit the a arms. Then went to the junk yard and got the splash shields. Order the 6 lug rotors from Summit as they have the best price. get new calipers, pads hoses, hard lines and bolts from the auto parts store. Ge the adapter bracket from Captain fab here on the board and get a new or used booster (lots of options) and a new master cylinder and do the power brake conversion. All told I had about $500 in doing it all.
Jimmy
I'm assuming the hardware you bought was for a 73-87 truck as far as calipers/hoses/etc. goes? I've already got a disc-ready master (brothers) along with a booster installed in the truck, so that part is done. Really should only have to swap out the knuckle, put the rotors on and replumb for the calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
As much as I was opposed to purchasing a kit from CPP, we couldn't get around the savings compared to POL, ECE, etc. After assembling it a couple weeks ago, I have zero complaints.
Looks great! Modular CPP spindles with 13" brakes?
Old 01-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
racecougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1044 View Post
Looks great! Modular CPP spindles with 13" brakes?
No, that's the non-modular 2.5" drop spindles and 12" rotors with Wilwood D52 calipers.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Buy 63-70 conversion spindles from ECE or McGaughys or Belltech.
The rest can be purchased locally.
Look at companies that off free shipping.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
chris1044

I saw wilwood and assumed larger brakes. So they're dual piston and mount up to CPP drop spindles? This is the type of info I'm looking for - if I can source higher quality stuff and be another 100 into the swap I'll be happier than settling for essentially stock parts.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
PGSigns

You will need to run new hard line to the hoses where they come to the frame in front of the a arm with the disc. Will need a proportioning valve. And yes I got new caliper bolts locally. Are you going 5 lug or 6?
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
chris1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1044 View Post
I saw wilwood and assumed larger brakes. So they're dual piston and mount up to CPP drop spindles? This is the type of info I'm looking for - if I can source higher quality stuff and be another 100 into the swap I'll be happier than settling for essentially stock parts.
After doing some research, it looks like the D52's for 12" rotors actually have smaller piston area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
You will need to run new hard line to the hoses where they come to the frame in front of the a arm with the disc. Will need a proportioning valve. And yes I got new caliper bolts locally. Are you going 5 lug or 6?
Jimmy
I'll be going 6 lug - truck will have larger diameter steelies eventualy. Currently has 15" aluminum drag's. I was originally looking at using the CPP modular spindle, but came across a thread on grafting C5 brakes to any of the spindles. I need to look into geometry now - I know the CPP pulls tires in which I'll need to clear my fenders. Need to see if ECE/McGaughy's does the same
Old 01-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #10
Dhartley70

Anyone bought from Tucker's Classic parts? Their prices are about $150 cheaper than CPP. Just wondering if they are "cheaper" materials or just selling at an honest price. CPP seams to have raised prices since the last time I was looking at the disc brake kits.
Dhartley70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #11
chris1044

Well I just spent an hour searching for info on these...again. Seems no one can tell whether or not the CPP modular units actually pull the tires in. Anyone running McGaughy's on a 60-66 that can chime in on fender clearance?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #12
greybeard2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Buy 63-70 conversion spindles from ECE or McGaughys or Belltech.
The rest can be purchased locally.
Look at companies that off free shipping.
Don't mean to jack this thread but I think my ?? is related. Have 69 C-10 1/2 ton with 6 lug drums and want to go to 5 lug disc using low buget OEM parts as much as possible. Do I understand correctly buying conversion spindles will allow me to buy 73-87 C-10 1/2 ton hubs, rotors, brackets and calipers and those calipers will bolt up to the conversion spindles? New to C-10 world, last rod I did brakes on was 39 Chevy with MII front end, bought brackets from EBC that allowed me to use late model Caprice discs and calipers. Guilty of not having looked at 73-87 front brakes to see if there was bracket to bolt caliper to spindle. I imagine that bracket would be bought any auto parts store just like the caliper and disc? Love to support vendors that support sites like this one but have very tight buget for this father/son project.
Thanks for any and all help!
Greybeard
greybeard2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard2009 View Post
Don't mean to jack this thread but I think my ?? is related.
Have 69 C-10 1/2 ton with 6 lug drums and want to go to 5 lug disc using low buget OEM parts as much as possible.
Do I understand correctly buying conversion spindles will allow me to buy 73-87 C-10 1/2 ton hubs, rotors, brackets and calipers and those calipers will bolt up to the conversion spindles?
Guilty of not having looked at 73-87 front brakes to see if there was bracket to bolt caliper to spindle.
I imagine that bracket would be bought any auto parts store just like the caliper and disc? Love to support vendors that support sites like this one but have very tight buget for this father/son project.
Thanks for any and all help!
Greybeard
ALL 63-70 conversion drop spindles use the 1-1/4" HD rotors.
You can buy aftermarket 6-lug rotors, or oem 71-87 HD rotors locally.
Add HD calipers, and bearings.
The bonus to using the conversion rotors, is that they will work with the oem 63-70 ball joints and outer tie rods.

I try to use an oem 71-72 master cylinder and prop valve (or an aftermarket equivilent).

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #14
greybeard2009

Thanks, your whole drum to disc page was great info for us. I have been keeping eye out for 73 up front end to rob whole a-arm steering arms and be able to readily get later model parts down the road- almost foregot the whole tie rod debacle. OUr 69 has PB and PS now, have a master, and proportion valve from 74 that is disc/drum 3/4 ton truck. Had planned on plumbing those in on my 69 with whatever disc setup we come up with. Thougth if we use OEM calipers, that 74 master and its bore should be OK. I went through the bore/pedal feel/caliper volume thing on the last street rod.
Thanks again! PS your red truck makes me want to keep our 6 lug truck rallies!! sweet
greybeard2009 is offline   Reply With Quote