The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
yossarian19

55-59 - Want to do interstate speeds

I've got a '57 1/2 ton longbed.
I put the outside-the-frame power steering box on it, tapered roller bearings, 12" front disc brakes, new shocks, new kingpins, replaced the worn out bushings - and it's still like steering a boat at 60 mph.
Will a front / rear sway bar kit make interstate speeds more manageable, or am I at the limits of what I can do on the original leaf springs & beam axle suspension?
If the $250 for sway bars is going to make 70 mph a safe and reasonable speed, then I'm all for it.
I'm not interested in spending $750 on new leaf springs, a drop axle or anything else but a 1/2 ton IFS with big brakes.
Just wondering what I can expect from a sway bar kit - because if it won't get me "there", I'll save my money for a Crown Vic or Dakota or C10 setup.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
65Gregg

Re: 55-59 - Want to do interstate speeds

Try Fatman Fab

http://www.fatmanfabrications.co/?se...cs-all-2=Truck

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
geezer#99

Sway bar likely won't help.
You might have created a little bump steer with the power steering set up.
Have you looked into a steering dampner.
Like this.
http://www.autopartsway.ca/part.cfm?...fumufgodvjca-g
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #4
yossarian19

A steering dampener might very well help.
Why don't you think a sway bar would do much for me?
Also - I'm not sure on bump steer. I read that these trucks had some bump steer in OEM configuration? Never got to drive it stock, so dunno. The drag link is about the same length as OEM but positioned further forward.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
PGSigns

What are your alignment specs? If it has close to no caster in it or not much toe that will make it wander some.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
octanejunkie

Hey fellas, I'm new here but been tooling and driving my '59 for years with a power Toyota box from CPP and I'm tired of bump steer.

I can drive it 100MPH but get it on some washboard or uneven track and it picks it's own line... not always the one I want either.

Was gonna put a damper on when I found the No Limit power rack for solid axle.

Anyone running it, any good, known issues?

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
tinydb84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
What are your alignment specs? If it has close to no caster in it or not much toe that will make it wander some.
Jimmy
This! Read the Make it handle thread and there is some good information regarding steering/handling/suspension.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
octanejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
This! Read the Make it handle thread and there is some good information regarding steering/handling/suspension.
Is there a 55-59 Make it Handle thread?

I found this one

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
Old 01-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
tinydb84

There is not one specific to certain years. A lot of the information in there is good regardless. I know the suspensions are very different but the theory is the same.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
octanejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
There is not one specific to certain years. A lot of the information in there is good regardless. I know the suspensions are very different but the theory is the same.
Gotcha, I'm on it. Thanks!

FWIW, I have front and rear sway bars on my truck and SensaTrack shocks - truck is lifted a few inches - but I'd love to upgrade shocks.

Settling in for another 51 page thread read

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
Old 01-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #11
octanejunkie

Looks like the "magic formula" is 5-6° Caster, -0.5° to -1° Camber and about 1/8" inward toe. I have all but the caster, I'm only at 2° at the moment.

I can increase the caster easily enough, but I'm sure that won't cure bump steer completely... any thoughts about adding a steering damper like 4x4 guys do?

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #12
yossarian19

I've been looking in to that a bit. Classicparts.com has a kit, it's $80. I am fairly certain it's just a reboxed Rancho #7100 kit, which sells for 50-something on Amazon.
Looks like if I move one lower shock mount to the front of the axle (both are in back at the moment) and fab up a mount that attaches at the U-bolts, it would be trivial to put the other end of the shock on the tie rod. This would help keep the truck from wandering.

Talking to the foreman at the auto shop, he seems to think that flipping the shackles from the front of the leaf spring to the rear would smooth out the ride - it works for the Jeep guys, anyway. It's a lot of rivets & drilling but it could be done.

You could even swap to coilovers & a leading 4-link + panhard setup with the beam axle, though that might be getting too much work.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #13
octanejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
I've been looking in to that a bit. Classicparts.com has a kit, it's $80. I am fairly certain it's just a reboxed Rancho #7100 kit, which sells for 50-something on Amazon.
Looks like if I move one lower shock mount to the front of the axle (both are in back at the moment) and fab up a mount that attaches at the U-bolts, it would be trivial to put the other end of the shock on the tie rod. This would help keep the truck from wandering.

Talking to the foreman at the auto shop, he seems to think that flipping the shackles from the front of the leaf spring to the rear would smooth out the ride - it works for the Jeep guys, anyway. It's a lot of rivets & drilling but it could be done.

You could even swap to coilovers & a leading 4-link + panhard setup with the beam axle, though that might be getting too much work.
That kit on classic parts looks pretty similar to the KYB kit I bought at AutoZone for $39 - one end clamps to the tie rod, but where to install the fixed end, on the frame or on the axle?

BTW, I can't find a Rancho #7100 anywhere but I do find a Skyjacker 7100 kit on Amazon Skyjacker 7100 kit on Amazon for $60. It looks to be intended for a tubular front axle from the picture.

Both my lower shock mounts face forward. I had them professionally modified to keep the steering knuckle from hitting the shocks when I was running Rancho shocks - but those shocks were too stiff. I am now running Monroe shocks until I finish tuning the stance and upgrade to a better shock like Billsteen.

I'm not sure I'm keen on reversing the springs, but I'd like to see and hear from guys that have done this.

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside

Last edited by octanejunkie; 01-14-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: link to stabilizer kit added
Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #14
octanejunkie

55-59 Steering Damper, frame-mount option

Found this while trolling on Amazon looking for steering dampers; Skyjacker 7140 Skyjacker 7140 comes with bracket to mount to tie rod and to frame.

I've seen a setup like this on many 4x4s

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
Old 01-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #15
yossarian19

I haven't figured out a great solution for frame / axle side mounts yet. That kit doesn't present any obvious solutions - if you come up with a good one, be sure to let me know.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #16
octanejunkie

Quote:
I haven't figured out a great solution for frame / axle side mounts yet. That kit doesn't present any obvious solutions - if you come up with a good one, be sure to let me know.
My plan is to install the damper between the axle and the tie rod. I have a sway bar that is mounted to the axle and I will try incorporate the stabilizer bracket into the backside of that. If that doesn't work out I can just drop a bar from the frame like the Skyjacker 7140 Skyjacker 7140 kit.

I will attempt the damper install this weekend and probably launch a new thread if it all works out. If not, I'll updated here.

BTW, found this Gabriel stabilzer Gabriel stabilzer on Amazon that looks darn similar to the one I got at AutoZone a while back.

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
Old 01-19-2015, 03:03 AM   #17
octanejunkie

Installed a steering damper this weekend. Thread on it here.

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
Old 01-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #18
yossarian19

Nice followup! Just read your link.
I think I'm going to add 4-6* caster & a stabilizer, just want to collect a couple paychecks first.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #19
octanejunkie

Quote:
Nice followup! Just read your link.
I think I'm going to add 4-6* caster & a stabilizer, just want to collect a couple paychecks first.
Just remember to search for 2" wide pinion shims, many on the market are 2.5" wide. Mine are by Pro Comp.

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside