The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

3/4 ton Burbs

When it comes to trucks, two wheel or four wheel drive, I get the need for 3/4 and up versions. But when it comes to Burbs I'm not as clear. There capacity to hold a payload is pretty limited compared to a truck. So in my mind its a non issue .. 1/2 ton would seem to be perfectly fine.

Maybe its the capacity to tow? I don't know a lot about towing heavy loads, but is it that much different in the two tonnages?

In the four wheel drive version would a 3/4 ton Burb really be needed for the intended use of a Burbs when they were introduced?

I guess maybe some people like the heavy duty version of things even if they will more than likely never be needed? And I understand some people like take the big Burbs off in to the boonies ... dunno though how much that was done "back in the day"

I kind of feel the same way about 4x4 Blazers and Jimmys. Half ton was just fine when they were introduced. I know some people convert them to 3/4 ton these days. But I believe its because they actually use their Blazers and Jimmys as adventure type vehicles, so 3/4 ton is an obvious upgrade.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: 3/4 ton Burbs

Are you referring to back when they were new or in today's world? I know back in the day in my part of the world they were mostly used as crummies. 5-6 men would ride to work in the woods with a load of tools, chain saws, fuel, lunches, every thing a logger needed for a days work. Back then crew cab trucks were expensive and hard to find.
The early 70's Dodge club cab trucks changed things. Comfort was poor in the back but you didn't have to smell gas in the cab. Which meant now they could smoke with the windows up in the winter.
The 3/4 ton rating also gave you floating carrier bearings which are more dependable in a poor dirt road daily commute. Four wheel drive was a requirement just to get to the job site many times of the year. And more than one time I helped hook a log truck up to a crummy to pull the truck free. Trucks lived hard short lives in the woods and 3/4 tons lasted longer.
Just my opinion from the woods of Northern Idaho.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Killer Bee

basic factors are engine, transmission, axles, brakes, suspension, frame weight, etc.

here's some spec pages for comparison that might answer your questions..

hopefully files just large enough to read the fine print.. first file is a merge attempt..

Last edited by Killer Bee; 02-24-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: merged image attempt
Killer Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
pwdcougar

Cool brochure!

A friend says that his school bus was a K20 Suburban of 67 to 72 vintage. The school I used to work for had a 1970 Ford van that was converted to be a school bus. The conversion was done when the van was new. If memory serves it wasn't even a 3/4 ton van but a 1 ton. Damn that thing was heavy duty. It would hold a dozen or so kids max.
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #5
RoadDawg

One place where the extra capacity of the 3/4 ton model made a huge difference was when they were converted to ambulances. This was especially true for the high-top versions which added even more weight in addition to all the cabinets, fixtures and equipment that was added to the insides. Most felt the 1/2 ton models were barely adequate for the job and some manufacturers strongly recommended the 3/4 ton version be ordered.

1/2 ton:

Same on 3/4 ton:

1971 GMC 2500 Stoner Ambulance (sold)

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/1971-gmc-ambulance/
RoadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
60sIron

I believe when you could order one new it did matter. Tow capacity, number of passengers just like a truck what are you going to use it for. Today in the classic market I don't think it matters as much as condition. Now you can up grade or down grade to what ever you what. My 69 K20's brakes were probably great in the day, better than a K10s I'm sure. But not in todays world. So I upgraded them. We live in a great time thats for sure.....
60sIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
hdman6465

We used the 3/4 version to haul car and motorcycle trailers for years. With air bags ,you could haul a load, and still go to the local cruise ins without parking in the back row or another lot.LOL
Attached Images

72 C30 enclosed car hauler, 454,FI,4L80E
hdman6465 is offline   Reply With Quote