The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
scott123

covering single stage paint

I bought a cab that was blasted. (saw pictures of the build). He sprayed it with an epoxy primer from Sherwin Williams and I am not sure of the exact one. He sprayed that with a urethane 2K primer. He then shot the top of the cab white.

The top is a single stage from Summit. It went on well and looks good. I would just rather have a solid color truck.

What is the best path forward, completely strip and start over or do I sand and re-prime then paint, or can I paint over the single stage?

It will be a nicer daily driver, not a show deal, it will be used like a truck.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
nsb29

Re: covering single stage paint

Scuff it and paint it what is on there is most likely urethane
Old 03-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
scott123

I think the can said Acrylic Urethane Enamel from Summit.

When bought the truck it was a mid-stream project so I got a package deal with the partial paints he had used, some sheet metal, etc., etc.,

Since I do not know what I am doing I strip to metal, epoxy prime and then do what work needs to be done and then go from there with a polyester primer and then another urethane primer, blocking in between.

If I stay with the same companies/same brands the tech guy can let me know it is compatible.

Since I did not buy it all I do not always no what works on top of what and what does not.

Thanks for the reply.

Scott
Old 03-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
I think the can said Acrylic Urethane Enamel from Summit.

When bought the truck it was a mid-stream project so I got a package deal with the partial paints he had used, some sheet metal, etc., etc.,

Since I do not know what I am doing I strip to metal, epoxy prime and then do what work needs to be done and then go from there with a polyester primer and then another urethane primer, blocking in between.

If I stay with the same companies/same brands the tech guy can let me know it is compatible.

Since I did not buy it all I do not always no what works on top of what and what does not.

Thanks for the reply.

Scott
First of all, the singe stage will accept another layer of paint very easily. even if you want to put a urethane clear on it. Just scuff, clean, tack rag and spray. So prep it and paint it the color you want. It really is that easy!

Don't use polyester primer unless you are forced to. It's not easy to spray and is very hard to sand and serves no purpose except to hide a lifetime of sin. Just use urethane primer.

You do NOT have to stay within brands. It is easier if you do because most brands will use same activators and getting tech help is easier, but know that brand A epoxy will work with brand B urethane primer and brand C paint will work with brand B primer.

Don't strip to bare metal unless you have to, and many times you don't have to.

Check out my build thread link in my signature below, I used many different brands to build it because I know that it can be done as easily as I described.
Lusid Technologies Epoxy, Five Star high build urethane primer, BASF UNO single stage urethane, then Five Star Euro Clear.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #5
scott123

I will check it out.

Thanks for the help.

Scott
Old 03-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #6
nsb29

Like I said scuff it and paint it
Old 03-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #7
mikelom

If the single stage paint is in good shape, I would just wash the body, wetsand, clean the surface thoroughly then apply paint.
mikelom is offline   Reply With Quote