The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
hobo

Opinion - swap the S10 rear end now or later?

Okay, my '53 truck is a Frankenbeast anyway on the S10 frame, dropped spindles, chopped top, and shortened bed. It will only be a cruiser but I AM building a nice sbc 350/383 for her, which could likely kill the 7.5 open rear end if my foot gets heavy. And, as a car guy I WOULD like to have a posi in her. I'm debating whether to build her with the current 7.5 rear end and address it later or, since I'll have the bed off anyway, swap the rear end with either an 8.5 posi out of an S10 Blazer or narrow an 8.8 out of an Explorer (since one side is 3" longer than the other).

Thoughts or words of wisdom? I'm leaning towards doing it now vs. later.

Thanks all!
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Matt_50

Re: Opinion - swap the S10 rear end now or later?

now seems like a perfect time, bed off, building the drivetrain...
Old 03-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
joedoh

the only broken 7.5/7.625 I have ever seen broken were broken from abuse, burnouts with suddenly catching traction, or spinning in corners and catching traction. remember that 1/2 ton V8 trucks used the 7.5/7.625, so did third and fourth gen v8 cabirdams (camaro firebird trans am) your truck wont likely have the weight distribution (it will be 60/40 at best, probably closer to 65/35) or the traction to break the rear end.

blazers didnt get 8.5 unless it was a zr2, all zr2 trucks and blazers got the 8.5, or if it was a 4.3 with a manual trans, and even that isnt a guarantee. I used a donor 4.3 with a manual trans and it was a 7.625. also s10s didnt get posi, they got low speed lockers with a pawl that will break if it engages at too high a load (big traction again) and wont lock over about 35mph.

get the truck running and driving is my advice. dont worry about the "while I am in there"'s till it runs drives and stops on its own. its the same work to change a rear end with the bed on or off.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo View Post
Okay, my '53 truck is a Frankenbeast anyway on the S10 frame, dropped spindles, chopped top, and shortened bed. It will only be a cruiser but I AM building a nice sbc 350/383 for her, which could likely kill the 7.5 open rear end if my foot gets heavy. And, as a car guy I WOULD like to have a posi in her. I'm debating whether to build her with the current 7.5 rear end and address it later or, since I'll have the bed off anyway, swap the rear end with either an 8.5 posi out of an S10 Blazer or narrow an 8.8 out of an Explorer (since one side is 3" longer than the other).

Thoughts or words of wisdom? I'm leaning towards doing it now vs. later.

Thanks all!
I don't think you have to narrow the Explorer rear end and it does not matter that one axle is longer than the other.

Wade
Old 03-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
Matt_50

The explorer rear end works as is. They come factory offset, driveshaft will be fine.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
I don't think you have to narrow the Explorer rear end and it does not matter that one axle is longer than the other.

Wade
I think many are doing it for the aesthetics of getting the pumpkin centered - and maybe potentially worried about the driveshaft being a little sideways.

And your post made me look twice - my name is Wade as well...
Old 03-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the only broken 7.5/7.625 I have ever seen broken were broken from abuse, burnouts with suddenly catching traction, or spinning in corners and catching traction. remember that 1/2 ton V8 trucks used the 7.5/7.625, so did third and fourth gen v8 cabirdams (camaro firebird trans am) your truck wont likely have the weight distribution (it will be 60/40 at best, probably closer to 65/35) or the traction to break the rear end.

blazers didnt get 8.5 unless it was a zr2, all zr2 trucks and blazers got the 8.5, or if it was a 4.3 with a manual trans, and even that isnt a guarantee. I used a donor 4.3 with a manual trans and it was a 7.625. also s10s didnt get posi, they got low speed lockers with a pawl that will break if it engages at too high a load (big traction again) and wont lock over about 35mph.

get the truck running and driving is my advice. dont worry about the "while I am in there"'s till it runs drives and stops on its own. its the same work to change a rear end with the bed on or off.
Thanks for the detailed response...
Old 03-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
mr48chev

Almost every open drive rig on the road and every one with a 9 inch Ford rear has the drivrshaft off to a slight angle but guys still poop their undies in fear of the dread not straight down the center driveshaft if they own Chevies. The angle has no effect on either the longgevity of the U joints or how much horse power the will handle.

I'm like Joedoh I've seen one busted S-10 (was and S-10 Blazer) rear and that one was in a rig that was severely beat to death and was given to me to haul off. All I wanted off the rig were the gas tank and the rear axle and the gas tank had been removed and the rear had teeth missing from the ring gear and pinon but the guys I got it from were hard core brush beating 4x4 guys and not street posers with 4x4 rigs.

Still if you want to upgrade now is the time to do it. Just get a good rear with the right gear ration and good brake parts so you aren't paying twice. You will have a 5 on 4-3/4 bolt pattern on the front and a 5 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern on the back unless you have the rear axles and rotors redrilled and that might be something to consider.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:43 AM   #9
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

You can sure tell this is a Chevy forum, lol. Ive been in hot rodding for decades and never heard any Ford guys say a word about their off-center 8 and 9 inch rear ends. Yet no one seems to notice that Chevy automatic transmissions are asymmetrical - the passenger side protrudes much farther than the drivers side. Or that Chevy small block heads are offset about an inch from one another.

As far as your now or later question, I alwasy go with the "drive it the sooner the better" answer. Three years from now you'll be looking for a winter project and that will be the perfect time to swap your rear end.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
You can sure tell this is a Chevy forum, lol. Ive been in hot rodding for decades and never heard any Ford guys say a word about their off-center 8 and 9 inch rear ends. Yet no one seems to notice that Chevy automatic transmissions are asymmetrical - the passenger side protrudes much farther than the drivers side. Or that Chevy small block heads are offset about an inch from one another.

As far as your now or later question, I alwasy go with the "drive it the sooner the better" answer. Three years from now you'll be looking for a winter project and that will be the perfect time to swap your rear end.
I'm kinda liking the "drive it sooner than later" idea...