The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #351
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

One step at a time...One step at a time. You are still moving forward at a pretty good clip!!!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #352
flips72

yeah, what he said, one step at a time sometimes there just bigger steps than other time, but there still steps
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #353
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Alan, you have got to be psyched about your rig.... All these years and, wow, what you have done!! Thank you so much for even looking at mine !
Aye the other side of determination came into play today, I had to just put it down and walk away, maybe I will mess with it some more tomorrow.
Yes , I can't believe I actually almost have it done. There were several times I almost gave up.

Your making some good progress, stay focused.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #354
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
One step at a time...One step at a time. You are still moving forward at a pretty good clip!!!
Yeah thanks, sometimes what I do all day isnt worth posting about in my opinion. Like today a large part of the first half was making a card board pattern for my dash extension.
I really dig your build though, I look at it every time you update too!! You are doing some mad stuff over there too, keep it going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
yeah, what he said, one step at a time sometimes there just bigger steps than other time, but there still steps
Thank you Flips, someday I will be close like you are right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Yes , I can't believe I actually almost have it done. There were several times I almost gave up.

Your making some good progress, stay focused.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can only imagine Alan!
I know it took you 5 years to build your thread on your truck, and like 2 weeks for me to read it all... it must have seen its fair share of ups and downs!

Always a pleasure when you guys stop by to take a look, thank you for that!

Now... what did I get done today other than playing cut-out with card board?

I took the heater controls out of the donor 85 Sierra (Ok fair to say I took everything out of it....) and started looking at my dash for installation. I like the cleaner look and adjustment options with the newer controls. I pretty much knew it was going to be the stock radio spot, or the ash tray that were going to house this unit.
I decided today it was going to be the radio.

The Sierra had all kinds of screws in the dash holding stuff where it needed to be, but I didn't want that in this truck, so I had to start with fabbing a mounting braket.
Guess I forgot to take pictures of that.

This is my dash before I started my hack job on it.
Name:  15apr12 Heater Controls (1).jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  52.9 KB

This is with the mounting braket welded in behind the dash, and my welds cleaned up a bit. I am at an impasse now as to whether I want to fill those knob holes and clean it up, or use the plate I made to fit in that space to clean up the look of it. I am leaning towards filling it and going from there.
Name:  15apr12 Heater Controls (2).jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  40.5 KB

Anyways, more later !!
Thanks for looking

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #355
McMurphy

I was just looking at the very clean build on
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...94#post5317394
By Goolsby and noticed there were no side view mirrors.
It occured to me, how cool would it be to have a pair of those back up cameras with dash mounted displays for side views?

Oh oh oh.... what if you could adjust the view on them from inside like remote mirrors??

Ok I know I dream beyond my means.... but ... Hmmmmmmm

(NOT for THIS build !!!)

LOL

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #356
flips72

hey McMurphy, you seen any grass yet or is it still snowing? just curious, and by the way, i would like to see the camera idea..i belive you could pull it off
Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #357
66ChevyMax

No problem for a high stepper like you. I'll be watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I was just looking at the very clean build on
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...94#post5317394
By Goolsby and noticed there were no side view mirrors.
It occured to me, how cool would it be to have a pair of those back up cameras with dash mounted displays for side views?

Oh oh oh.... what if you could adjust the view on them from inside like remote mirrors??

Ok I know I dream beyond my means.... but ... Hmmmmmmm

(NOT for THIS build !!!)

LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
1957 Chevrolet 2dr Hardtop
"It makes sence if you don't think about it"
Mesquite 1966 C10 - LS3 W/ Air Ride
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4989763
66ChevyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #358
baggedbigblock

Looking good McMurphy. Keep on plugging/welding away!
baggedbigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #359
McMurphy

Thanks guys, but I am not going for the camera side views on this build. It was a museing on my part.
I already have too many ideas for this rig that I mistakenly think are within my abilities ..... LOL

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #360
**grumpy**

I just read all 15 pages.
Great job on your truck!
Wow...

I came in whining it was too cold a few weeks ago when it was 44 out.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #361
McMurphy

Quote:
hey McMurphy, you seen any grass yet or is it still snowing? just curious, and by the way, i would like to see the camera idea..i belive you could pull it off
Last years dead grass that died too fast to lose its color is out, new growth not so much yet, but the growing season here is about to go crazy with 24 hours of day light coming in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **grumpy** View Post
I just read all 15 pages.
Great job on your truck!
Wow...

I came in whining it was too cold a few weeks ago when it was 44 out.
Well thank you much for taking a look at my build !!!
I have been following yours since you started it (the 12 week build)
it was 44 degrees here today, we are in shorts and t-shirts up here in the sunshine that is....

Wow... I am up to 15 pages already?
Good thing they dont charge by the post around here !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Last edited by McMurphy; 04-19-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #362
65 old school

I also went through your thread, look's great! COLD weather? no way!... I wear short's all year long, last time I had pant's on was at my son's wedding about a year & 1/2 ago. and that was under protest!... Hope you get a lot done with the total daylite and warmer temp's. It's going to be 100 saturday here, I will have to turn my garage a/c on.
65 old school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #363
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I just finished looking through your Pontiac build. Very impressive, especially for being in the military. I spent 4 years in the Marines and it was hard enough just owning and maintaining a car let alone finding the time, resources, and facilities to do a rebuild or engine change.

Your model car comments are interesting, since that was probably one of the most profound learning experiences of my youth. I not only became aware of style and mechanics, but most importantly it taught me patience. In the beginning it only took minutes to complete an entire model. It didn’t take long to become disappointed with the sloppy glue laden mess that resulted, so I taught myself to slow down and pay attention to details.

I also started going through your truck build, but there’s so much to see it’s going to take a few days. Man you have really made a lot of progress in a relatively short amount of time. I’m amazed how rust free your truck appears to be, especially considering where you’re located. I admire your welding skills. I have none myself.

Keep up the good work!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #364
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 old school View Post
I also went through your thread, look's great! COLD weather? no way!... I wear short's all year long, last time I had pant's on was at my son's wedding about a year & 1/2 ago. and that was under protest!... Hope you get a lot done with the total daylite and warmer temp's. It's going to be 100 saturday here, I will have to turn my garage a/c on.
We were stationed in Hawaii for 3 years, I lived in shorts, T-shirt, and sandles. Though I do miss it, I would not want to live there the rest of my life. It seems to go too quickly when there are not seasons by which to set your pace. Summertime pace all year around is just too fast for this old Mountain Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I just finished looking through your Pontiac build. Very impressive, especially for being in the military. I spent 4 years in the Marines and it was hard enough just owning and maintaining a car let alone finding the time, resources, and facilities to do a rebuild or engine change.

Your model car comments are interesting, since that was probably one of the most profound learning experiences of my youth. I not only became aware of style and mechanics, but most importantly it taught me patience. In the beginning it only took minutes to complete an entire model. It didn’t take long to become disappointed with the sloppy glue laden mess that resulted, so I taught myself to slow down and pay attention to details.

I also started going through your truck build, but there’s so much to see it’s going to take a few days. Man you have really made a lot of progress in a relatively short amount of time. I’m amazed how rust free your truck appears to be, especially considering where you’re located. I admire your welding skills. I have none myself.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks for taking a look Mark.
In all actuality, I got the Tempest in September of 2005. In May of 2006 it and the 72 LeMans went into storage for the 3 years we were stationed in Hawaii. They spent one year getting driven in nice weather while we were in Louisiana, then right after that engine swap, back into storage they went again. That was November of 2010 until April of 2011 when we loaded them up and hauled them up to Spokane and yep, you guessed it, back into storage.
Except the LeMans went to the Restoration guy up on the South Hill and he has had it for a year now.

So yes sir, you are quite correct, owning a classic in the Military is challenging, and the expenses are hidden (5 years of 10x35 foot storage units will add up on ya !!)

But we love them, and they will last us, and hopefully another generation will pick up where we left off and not allow these fine works of art and machinery disapear from American life and roads.

But enough of the soap boxing !

Here is a peek at my heater upgrade that I did all the mod work to my dash for.
Name:  29apr12 heater controls.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  36.8 KB

And something about buying an engine stand that makes you feel like you are starting to play with the big boys....
Name:  29apr12 engine stand.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  37.0 KB

Thanks for looking, see you all on your threads soon!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #365
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

What motor is you the motor that you are building from?
What all are you going to do to it?

Also, I posted some pics in my build that you requested.
Modge
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #366
flips72

neat idea on the heater, is that the one from the donor truck? and yeah every man should have at least 2 engine stands with motors hanging on them
Old 05-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #367
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
What motor is you the motor that you are building from?
What all are you going to do to it?

Also, I posted some pics in my build that you requested.
Modge
Thanks for those how-to picks Modge! What you did to the leading edge of your grille mount was awesome and I will certainly be duplicating what you did!
That is a SBC 350, and the only thing I plan on doing to it, other than cleaning it up and a spiffy paint job, is an Edelbrock performer intake and carb, and different valve covers. I also want to get those Camaro headers that some guys around here use, hopefully one of them can shoot me the part number, I think they get them from Summit but I am uncertain.
The guy I got it from was told it has 20k miles on a crate engine, there are some indicators that it has been rebuilt (silicon gasket over squeeze in some spots, ect...) but I am still contemplating new oil gaskets for the pan and the valve covers.

Quote:
neat idea on the heater, is that the one from the donor truck? and yeah every man should have at least 2 engine stands with motors hanging on them
Yeah that control panel came from the 85. It was originally mounted with off-set screws from the outside of the dash going in. I dont want any screw heads showing on my dash, so I had to fab up a backing plate to weld inside my dash so I could mount the screws for it from the back. Maybe if the screws had been symmetrical I might have compromised and just thrown it on there, but this was better I think.

This weekend should be finishing up everything on the floor (except my tranny hump door) filling unused holes and such. Test mounting my seat and seeing what I need to mod to get that so it is solid and comfortable.

You know, stuff like that....

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Last edited by McMurphy; 05-06-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: more stuff to say
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #368
McMurphy

Got more odds and ends done, parts for the engine detailed and painted. Will wait until the engine block is painted and after I put that stuff back on before I post pics of it. But... in my opinion, all that stuff is looking pretty spiffy!

I was doing a lot of that, (and getting my ATV started which turned out to be a pita) between waiting for paint to dry and working on the dash.

Here is what it looked like today after mudding it yesterday...

Name:  06may12 heater control dash work (2).jpg
Views: 979
Size:  42.4 KB

I thought I would try to be smart about this and started with a knife and trimming alot of the excess bondo. It sure did save me a lot of sanding time I think.

Name:  06may12 heater control dash work (3).jpg
Views: 979
Size:  26.7 KB

This is after some 80 grit sandpaper... la la la .... I know pretty boring stuff...

Name:  06may12 heater control dash work (6).jpg
Views: 981
Size:  43.5 KB

So what is it about paint that makes all the flaws just pop right out? Is it the way your brain percieves it, the color, the wet shiney-ness?? None the less I have learned to use paint to highlight areas I want to focus on.

Name:  06may12 heater control dash work (7).jpg
Views: 975
Size:  32.4 KB

Then some more sanding, with 80 to get to the root of my discontent, and then 100grit to blend the edges... and reshoot with paint.

Name:  06may12 heater control dash work (12).jpg
Views: 972
Size:  19.4 KB

That is as far as I got on that because the wife and I sat in the cab together and did some day dreaming about this old boy smoothing down the road again.

So that is that.
I thought I saw on here where someone got a 72 or younger cross member with 5 lug rotors, and was talking about going back to 6 lug on it. If anyone remembers who that was please point me in the direction. One of the board members stopped by yesterday and he showed me some parts rigs he is willing to let me cannibalize, and we were talking about this swap because I want to keep my rims at this time.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #369
joe231

Dash looks cool!!

Here are 6 lug rotors for 71-87 HD spindles
http://www.performanceonline.com/FRO...10-TRUCK-8600/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #370
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Dash looks cool!!

Here are 6 lug rotors for 71-87 HD spindles
http://www.performanceonline.com/FRO...10-TRUCK-8600/
Posted via Mobile Device
AWESOME Joe, thanks man you ROCK!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #371
flips72

looking good, i hate bondo work i would much rather do the mechanical side of it, but your doing good with yours.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #372
allaboutchevelles

Looks good McMurphy, were yall sitting on 5 gallon buckets?? lol, thats where im at with mine.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #373
McMurphy

Quote:
looking good, i hate bondo work i would much rather do the mechanical side of it, but your doing good with yours.
I am starting to get along with bondo better than I thought I would. It is sort of like modeling clay that has hardened. If I goober it up too bad, I just slathe more on and try again.
Whomever equated doing one of these builds to therapy was not too far off the mark. I do some yelling and cursing while on this project, but overall there is a calming effect of knowing that there isnt too much I can do wrong, that I cannot fix.
And that is a feeling you cannot buy on sale at WalMart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Looks good McMurphy, were yall sitting on 5 gallon buckets?? lol, thats where im at with mine.
No sir, I put my bench seat in for this dash work.
Mostly to start test fitting my butt to it (like Homer Simpson fitted to his couch) and getting a feel for the distance I have it set at from the dash. I am also close to installing my shoulder belts and I certainly want to have that measured right.

Thanks for looking and commenting guys, it is a great motivator !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #374
chad64chevy

looking good! been awhile since i checked in on you, hows the weather up there now??
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #375
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
looking good! been awhile since i checked in on you, hows the weather up there now??
Heh, 52* and sunny as I write this.
It was chilly this morning when I got to work, right around 45* and cloudy.
There is still snow on the ground, but now it is really only in the dead shadow areas, and the plowed mountains.
Daylight is quickly getting to the 24 hour mark.
We saw Avengers last Friday and at midnight when we left the theater is was getting to be twilight outside.

Fun times.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest