The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2002, 02:04 PM   #1
johnymac

Question removing lower control arm fittings.

I have the lower control arm out of my truck, ordered a whole new bushing assembly. Problem I am having now is how to get the fittings off. I don't have 3/4" drive tools, no rental shops rent this size, or auto part stores loan sockets. Not that size if they do. I went to Sears, I can get a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer, but didn't have the 1 5/8 socket. Has anyone removed before, If so, any suggestions?
Was it 1 5/8?
I am thinking on using a pipe wrench to get off, but not sure how to torque the new fittings back on.

Thank you!!
johnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 09:39 PM   #2
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

I assume you are talking about the metal bushings on the early year trucks. I have a 66 C30 that I removed lower bushings from. I got to tell you that it was a pain. I went the big cresent wrench and pipe wrench route. Placed the arm on the floor of the garage and removed the bushing by standing on the arm and using a cheater on the pipe wrench. As for reinstalling, you have to make sure the shaft is centered when installing the bushings. Take your time and alternate from side to side when you get to the part when the bushing starts to contact the control arm otherwise maintaining it centered is very difficult. My book says that the torque spec is 125-140 ft-lbs if no spacer is used and 200-220 ft-lbs if a spacer is used. I didn't have spacers so I just used the same force when reinstalling as when I removed it. We use to have a saying in the Navy. Torque it to star torque. Which meant torque it until you see stars. One other thing is make sure the orientation is correct for the shaft. Nothing worse than putting it back together and realizing it's backwards.

------------------
66 Chevy C30 Stakebody Dump, PS,PB, 327cu in
71 Corvette Coupe 454 4 speed
79 Chevy 4X4 (Tom's old truck)

ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 03:13 PM   #3
rustfree

the best advise I can give you is to get your hands on a Factory Service Manual,(see our board member vendors) NOT the Assembly Manual, LMC catalog has better pictures than it. They are printed for the specific year of your truck. You will HAVE to have the correct size sockets when putting things back together because you will have to torque them down.(another reason for the manual). Get yourself a Sears tool catalog.

------------------
72 swb cheyenne super 350/350
69 cst20 BB longhorn

Warren, OR
rustfree is offline   Reply With Quote