The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
OrangeMach

Your thoughts

I have not decided if I am going to keep the 59 or sell it yet. I have been told that if I plan to sell it to not do anything to the body so that the next buyer can see the original paint and that I have not bondoed the body. They claim this will bring me more money.

What are your thoughts?
OrangeMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
NDtruck

I guess for me personally if i was a buyer, purchased a truck and found out while stripping it down that it was full of bondo that I'd feel ripped off regardless of what i paid for it. (At least if I paid more than $500 for it)

So i'm thinking that it might be less of a money thing and more just plain honest to whomever you sell it too.

It kind of depends on the situation, what you think you can get for it vs. what you paid for it, etc.. Also of course depends on the shape the body is in. Are there major areas of rust or dents?
NDtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
OrangeMach

I should have clarified. The body has no major dents and will require no bondo.

My plan was to sand the body completely to remove all surface rust (leaving all dents, about 15 small ones) and puting primer on to protect the sanded areas.

The goal here was to give me something to do with the truck while I figured out if I wanted to keep it. I really want to keep the truck but don't know if I will. I would be getting rid of the rust and have it primered for me or whomever if I decided to sell it.

Everyone tells me that future buyers would want to see the factory metal and the primer would hurt resell. I can't believe this is true if I took oodles of high res pics of the whole truck.

Again, i am not trying to cover anything up.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-12-2005, 11:42 PM   #4
extd56

When I buy a old truck, I would much rather see old paint than primer. Primer seems to hide a lot in the old vehicles and unless you are going to keep it inside the primer will absorb moisture and will rust again, better to just get it running and see if you want to do more.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:31 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

if you decide to sell it email me. dwcsr at inethouston.net
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:43 AM   #6
OrangeMach

Quote:
Originally Posted by extd56
When I buy a old truck, I would much rather see old paint than primer. Primer seems to hide a lot in the old vehicles and unless you are going to keep it inside the primer will absorb moisture and will rust again, better to just get it running and see if you want to do more.
That's what I was afraid of. I really wanted to start on the body work until I figured out what I wanted to do with this truck. However, I did not want to kill the value either. I guess I was looking for justification to pacify the wife for spending money and time to clean it up. Choices, choieces, choices......
Old 09-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Same goes for painted trucks, never know what is under there... Leave it like it is if you're serious about selling it again. Make it mechanicaly safe and sound and the buyer will see that you are a good Joe. my 2-cents rico

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
Jebb1978

A 59 in original paint is a beautiful thing! When I was looking for my truck (not even close to that old) original paint was a must! I looked long and hard for it. I have had some straight lookers start to crack up on me before and it hurts! I am sure you could get more from the right buyer if you sit on it in current condition. Best of luck if you sell it. It sounds like a keeper to me.
Jebb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote