The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
stesch_c10

1952 GMC "Demon Speeding" Project

Hey Everyone, I finally purchased a GMC. Always liked the looks of the GMC over the chevy. But here it is. It's a 52 and its been through about 4 different hands. I kinda of tracked down each previous owner and everyone said they all bought it with good intent and never had time to do anything with it. So hopefully I can make it into something.

Here are some of the initial pics.
Attached Images

stesch_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
stesch_c10

Re: 1952 GMC "Demon Speeding" Project

To be honest I don't know exactly what my plans are for it. I will say I am not looking to do a full restore. or really any kind of restore. For right now I'd like to get it running and driving and then work on body, paint, details.

So my question for you guys, if you can help, is what kind of front end did someone put in this? I've been told its a camaro front. From what I can tell its not welded in. I took the front clip off to get a better look but never took any measurements to see if it was straight or anything. Can you guys tell by just the pictures?

I will say its been hacked together/not really finished. I see the passenger side shock is attached and the drive side isn't. the steering shaft looks like its been cobbled together (maybe its correct). So if the front end looks like a good option then I will just keep it and clean it up and make it work correctly.

I do have a reg can longbox s10 with a 4.3 that I could potentially swap with. But if the front end is already in. Then I'm halfway there. ALSO, the rear end has been swapped as well but I didn't get pics of that. it is newer and different, so again half the work is done for upgrading from stock frame.

I do know the front wheels stick out a little too far in the fenders and I'd like to suck them in a little. Not sure if thats a simple fix, or possible with different wheels.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
stesch_c10

the pictures of the front end aren't loading. so when it lets me load more I will get them up.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
stesch_c10

here it is
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
stesch_c10

and some more
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #6
stesch_c10

anyone?
Old 08-28-2017, 12:57 AM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

well ...its not a camaro...camaro upper a-arms are on top of the frame rail...appears to be a c10 front...very much like the one in this thread..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6885908
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:02 AM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

if its been hacked together I would back up and start over..since you have a s10 already that might be best...a c10 front clip is to wide for a AD truck anyway

Last edited by mongocanfly; 08-30-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #9
stesch_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
if its been hacked together I would back up and start over..since you have a s10 already that might be best...a c10 frint clip is to wide for a AD truck anyway
I did notice the front wheels stick out too far fast the fenders. thats why i wondered if the front end was a camaro or not. like the previous owner thought
Old 08-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
mobileortho

Looks like a narrowed C10 clip. I had one on mine at one time.

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm not sure that has been narrowed..yet...looks like somebody started to by cutting a section out of the frame crossmember but the suspension crossmember doesn't appear to have been cut

Last edited by mongocanfly; 08-29-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
mobileortho

Yeah, I see that weird cut, not sure what that's about. But C10's are about an 1 1/2" wider than the frame on the AD's and require spacers in order to make it fit flush against the frame rails, or narrow the cross member. I don't see any spacers in the pic's so I suspect the cross member's been narrowed. That's what I did to mine.

1950 3600

Last edited by mobileortho; 08-29-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

stesch...do you know for sure if your truck sits on a stock frame?
Old 08-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #14
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
Yeah, I see that weird cut, not sure what that's about. But C10's are about an 1 1/2" wider than the frame on the AD's and require spacers in order to make it fit flush against the frame rails, or narrow the cross member. I don't see any spacers in the pic's so I suspect the cross member's been narrowed. That's what I did to mine.
I believe what has happened is someone used a 71 Chevy and up pickup crossmember which need to have the crossmember narrorwed or spacers on the outside of the stock frame . In this case it appears someone cut the stock front crossmember and pushed the frame rails out to meet it. Thus the gap in the stock front cross member. In theory its not a bad idea if it had been done correctly . I had a customer that did the same thing. However I do not feel this one was done correctly . If you look the wheels are not centered in the opening of the fender. If they just started pulling on the frame to move it out it may or may not be square which can lead to other problems. The wheel track is wider on the 71 and up trucks but also appears you have a deep dish on your front rim. With less dish and a smaller tire it may line up perfectly as far as track width. Also appears they did not quite get the rear lined up in the wheel opening. Your frame appears to be stock by looking at the crossmember and the original spring perch. Before you move ahead you may want to take it to an alignment shop to see where you are at . Kind of like trying to build a square house on a non square foundation. Nothing will fit and it will fight you all the way. Good luck..
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #15
stesch_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
stesch...do you know for sure if your truck sits on a stock frame?
I honestly am not sure.

I do know the rear end is not fastened down correctly. meaning when we pulled it up on trailer, the driver side rear wheel was pulled back and rubbing on fender. I got it home and looked before i rolled it off and the U-bolts are not holding axle down on leaf springs. So i took a ratchet strap and pulled it forward so it was more centered in fender.

I would think its a stock frame, but haven't seen an welds where they cut the front end off. or if they just attached new control arms and such.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #16
mongocanfly
Post Whore

haha...I had noticed the rear axle looked catywampus...I was wondering bout that also..
I believe paul is on target with his theory..they cut the frame crossmember and pulled it out to the a-arm crossmember...that could turn into a nightmare of tracking crooked , crossmembe offset to one side..etc etc etc....if not done correctly..
Old 08-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #17
xs-style

Nice looking project.

I feel like you'd have allot of time and money into make sure that frame is right. That may be why it's been through a few hands. People think it's a dang cool ride, and it is. Then they get it and realize the hodgepodge state of affairs underneath. You've got an advantage with that S10 frame and running gear though. Good luck with it.
1981 k20 4x4 - 5.3 swap in progress

Events attended:
Spring GOG 2011
Dale JR car show Summer 2012
Gathering at Tommys pickup parts
xs-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:05 AM   #18
stesch_c10

Here are some under side of the frame. It looks like the stock frame, there is a picture of the trans member that is cut off. I'm assuming the frame looks familiar to you guys. UNLESS!!! this is a later c10 frame and im mistaken.. Again I was looking at the old trans member and its still riveted to the frame. the running board supports are still riveted on to the frame.

What damn direction do i go now? go get a new front end, an actual camaro front end and make it work? Can anyone tell me what rear end is in there now? I was looking it over a little and one of the wheel studs is broken off. So thats a problem i would need to address. any help would be great!
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2017, 12:05 AM   #19
stesch_c10

little better pic of rear leafs and such
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2017, 12:29 AM   #20
mongocanfly
Post Whore

well..your axle is a 10 bolt car axle...
I assume your frame is stock 1952...pretty sure its not a 70s truck...
as for where to start and not knowing how your fab skills are..my .02cents of advise is I would scrap all that mangled up stuff and start over..keeping in mind the frames already been cut and bent..and specially since you've got a s10 frame..but again the fab skill thing comes into play..there will be a good deal of fab involved...before you commit to the s10 I recommend you read thru skymangs s10/AD thread..joedoh has also done several of these swaps...at least with the s10 you won't have to worry about squaring up a frame and suspension. .big thing is take it in little bites..don't get discouraged. .

Last edited by mongocanfly; 08-30-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #21
stesch_c10

Well, i do construction for a living, so im always having to come up with ideas on how to make stuff work. I also like to do metal work and weld. So that im not too worried about. I have read the other threads and am pretty sure I can do it. Only thing I am afraid about with my S10 is that when i was in high school i cut the spring pockets and put air bags in the front. not saying I did it wrong but i remember what a nightmare i had using the air bags. (could be because i was young and didn't use the best of supplies)

I would rather use the stock frame and just get a new front and rear. I have an older friend who has a "junk yard" of any and all vehicles that I could possibly get parts from. BUT if this 52 frame is past the point of being used then I will move on from it.

So I see the same thing you guys see, the front support has been cut down the middle. does that mean the front has been bent in? It doesn't look like its been much if any at all. Can anyone get me an inside measurement of what a stock frame is suppose to be, that way i can see what mine is sitting at. I guess thats what i'm trying to figure out. Can I still use the frame without having to unbend it back (if its been bent/cut)

Last edited by stesch_c10; 08-30-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #22
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
I believe what has happened is someone used a 71 Chevy and up pickup crossmember which need to have the crossmember narrorwed or spacers on the outside of the stock frame . In this case it appears someone cut the stock front crossmember and pushed the frame rails out to meet it. Thus the gap in the stock front cross member. In theory its not a bad idea if it had been done correctly .
Ahhh... ok. But man that sure seems like a lot of extra work. Wouldn't you have to redo the cab, bed & running board mounts to get everything to line up?

1950 3600

Old 08-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #23
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
Ahhh... ok. But man that sure seems like a lot of extra work. Wouldn't you have to redo the cab, bed & running board mounts to get everything to line up?
By looking at the newly posted photos the frame is stock . Hopfully they bent the frame while the transmission crossmember was still in place and uncut. That would keep cab and run board mounts where they should be . But once they cut that trans crossmember was cut who knows what happened . Had to be a lot of tension on that crossmember. Depending how they reinforced the frame if they did at all. I don't see anything that cannot be fixed . But as I said earlier a visit to an alignment shop might be a good idea . You have a trailer . Show them what you have . They may say it is not safe to drive or they may tell which direction to take . In the midst of all this if the frame is not square when you start you will continue to fight this.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #24
oldman3

c-10, here is the drawing from the 47-54 assembly manual. Pic isn't very good to read the numbers. So I made red, yellow and green points to give you the demensions.

Red at front of frame it should be 25.5"

Yellow at the two side tabs back from front of frame about 20" it should be 28"

Green at the front revits of the front rear spring hanger it should be 30.5"

Hope this helps...Jim
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #25
stesch_c10

Well it's funny you say go to an alignment shop. I've got a good friend who is into rat rods and such and he owns a body shop with alignment rack. He is always willing to help me out. I live in a small town. Everyone knows someone with connections.

When I get home I will take some measurments