The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Saw a survivor yesterday.

I headed over to Advance Auto for new hoses and I see, there in the Kroger parking lot, a 1970 SWB stepside with spare tire on side. It's like an older twin of my truck!

I pull over and walk to it. The owner comes right then and we talk for about 30 minutes until past dark. I think I saw it on this site about a year go, having been sold a couple of times. He wants $7,500 for it, a bit much in my opinion.

It is all original, looks it, and I did look under the hood. He said "when I got it the underside was so oily I thought I had a leak but the original owner told me he 'put the old oil from oil changes into a spray bottle and sprayed it all underneath.'" I guess that would prevent rust.

When he left he revved that I6 up very high and left much too fast....I got the impression he had an idle issue (maybe choke?) and it would quit if he didn't do that.

Still, it was great speaking with him and seeing it. Had my truck been running, I would have parked next to him.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: Saw a survivor yesterday.

I had a Panhead Chopper like that, it leaked Oil so bad I never had to oil my chain!:lol
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

That's funny man.

My truck is pretty oily underneath, it must leak badly enough. I'll probably try and clean it up a bit when I get it mobile.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Oil leaks keep the weeds from growing up in the stones. Keeps dust down, too. The used oil sprayed up under a vehicle is an old mountain remedy. You oil it up, run it down the dusty dirt roads, more oil, more dirt road, and you build up an oily barrier to road salt. Warsh 'er down come sprang and git that filth off .

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Oil leaks keep the weeds from growing up in the stones. Keeps dust down, too. The used oil sprayed up under a vehicle is an old mountain remedy. You oil it up, run it down the dusty dirt roads, more oil, more dirt road, and you build up an oily barrier to road salt. Warsh 'er down come sprang and git that filth off .
Apparently that's what the old-timer did! The guy told me "the owner lived on a dirt road." I replied "oil and dirt would basically make cosmoline."
Old 10-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
davischevy

My Longhorn has the really well preserved original wood floor. When I got it there was about an 1/8" of oil and dirt on the floor. Obviously carefully applied.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote