The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
1953chevyroc

Audio System ideas

I know, I know, "the sound of the engine is all you should need."
But I like listening to music while on the road. So I'm curious about what you guys have done or what you would do.
I'm going to use a Glide Engineering seat, so I will put the head unit under it and run a usb cable up through the seat for easy access and a clean look. The speakers will be 6 1/2" coaxials (probably Hertz units) in the doors powered by an appropriate amp. And a 10" JL TW3 sub behind the seat to round it all out powered by a JX500/1D.
Thoughts or suggestions? Or better yet, pics of what you have done would be fantastic.
Thanks guys
Attached Images

1953chevyroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
57chevyman

Re: Audio System ideas

i would recommend this powered kenwood subwoofer. fits under the seat and really sounds good! all you need is a couple of good speakers and this subwoofer and you're set. id use this and not lose the space behind the seat
Attached Images

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
tmoble

there isn't much room behind the seat to begin with.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
1953chevyroc

The size difference between the JL box I'm looking at is actually a bit smaller and less than 1/8 or an inch deeper, so it may end up under the seat even though it's not preferred. And I'm just not looking for a powered sub such as the Kenwood. As nice as that unit is, I prefer a proper enclosure.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
tmoble

bass works under the seat, it's not directional and doesn't damp easily. Mid/tweeters, not so much.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
gigamanx

Subscribing just because I'm curious to know what low profile options folks have used. I have seen pictures of some examples... If I recall there is a thread called, "what did you do with the space behind the seat", and another for interior work. Both had some pretty nice built in stereo ideas. I'll see if I can find the links again.

Personally, I was doing a little research on some of the old school looking radios that had a Bluetooth hookup. I think that's much better looking that a modern DIN head unit in an old truck. They are pricey though! http://www.classicparts.com/1947-53-.../#.WVzeYk32a70

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
BIGglaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953chevyroc View Post
I'm going to use a Glide Engineering seat, so I will put the head unit under it and run a usb cable up through the seat for easy access and a clean look. The speakers will be 6 1/2" coaxials (probably Hertz units) in the doors powered by an appropriate amp. And a 10" JL TW3 sub behind the seat to round it all out powered by a JX500/1D.
This sounds like a solid plan. Though I'm not a fan of hiding the head unit and not having access to it while driving. I have heard a lot of good reviews for the retrosound head units. However if you don't need FM tuning, and want a hidden system, just run it from a smart phone via bluetooth or cable instead of putting a head unit under the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953chevyroc View Post
So I'm curious about what you guys have done or what you would do.
There's a lot of choices out there, and what you have picked sounds solid. For my 57 pickup (not yet installed), I have a retrosound apache head unit. Zapco 5 channel amp running active 2-way front stage via MiniDsp. Front components are Image dynamics 5x7 in the kick panels covered with grills disguised as air vents. Undecided on sub but leaning toward a small downfire 8" Image Dynamics behind the seat. (supposedly can play low in a small box). Or a 10" Audiofrog g10 if I decide to go with a bigger box. My opinion, in a small cab, one 8" can get the job done. I have one 8" in my crew cab. When sitting in the back seat, it hits hard enough. Though in the front seat, it needs a little more kick. But for an occasional drive in a hot rod, I think I will save space and go with the little 8". I'm going for the stealth setup, factory look.

I'll be following for updates, curious to see how it turns out.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
_Ogre

i made this sub/amp/battery enclosure to go behind the seat of my 58
arc audio 4x100 speaker amp, 1x600 subwoofer amp, 4 sets of 5'' mid and tweeter and a single 8'' sub
it certainly rocks the truck

i'd link to my build thread but f'ing photobucket is holding my pics for ransom
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
_Ogre

kicks with components with another set in the doors
i have a dvd player in the dash with usb port for thumb drive for mp3 music
bluetooth was just coming in to play when i built truk i'd probably go that route now
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
1953chevyroc

Ogre, that's pretty sweet.
I know for sound quality and tunability, components are the way to go but I know from past experience 2 high quality coaxial speakers in a small cab is more than adequate for me. And adding a smallish sub will help a ton.
As for the head unit, the ones I'm looking at can be run completely through bluetooth or USB. But their sound processing capabilities are much better than what my phone can do if hooked directly to an amp. I've seen the custom auto sound units and they just don't do anything for me. Especially at the price point. Though in a resroatioin build they definitely have their place.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #11
OrrieG

I but 5.5" speakers in the kick panel (I made) and large 5x8 in the rear corner panel (I made). Kenwood with remote under the seat is plenty loud and has enough bass for me. I'm half deaf so the highs and some mid-range do not compute for me.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #12
my56chevytruck

Just one quick note, I had a radio buried under my seat in a street rod and it was cool to have it hidden, but one little fact is, you can't see what station you are playing on. If that's not an issue, then hide away. I'm old school.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #13
1953chevyroc

Totally cool with that. I use Spotify most of the time. I can't go back to radio.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
_Ogre

radio? what's that?

oh yeah. i remember a box that plays 75% commercials 2x the volume of music

Old 07-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
fisherman420

Some great ideas here! My plan is to use the retro sound head unit I have to keep that factory look and accessibility (its a few years old now so I will be adding a Bluetooth aux adapter). I purchased a JL audio component set for the kicks at a great price and will put a small sub under the seat all powered by a 4 channel amp that I haven't got yet but Alpine makes some excellent compact units with clean power output. I'm debating adding some 4x7 or 6x9s in the rear corners for a complete sound but with the side exit flowmaster 40s I might never have the radio on!!