The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
bmar

front license plate bracket

The state I live in requires all vehicles to have a front license plate. The factory bracket seems to be a plate mounted on the passenger side but I don't much care for this setup. So, I was wondering who else have plates on the front of your truck and how you mounted them, pictures would be great.

Here is a picture of what seems to be the factory setup. I have the bracket, but I can't find any place for mounting it except to drill new holes.
Attached Images

bmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: front license plate bracket

Build a bracket that runs out under the bumper and turns up to mount the plate You might have to run back to the front cross piece of the frame if there isn't something to mount to behind the bumper. Mount the plate so it overs the bracket from head on views like the one you posted.
Can you run a piece of flat bar between the two bottom Bolts so it bolts to those bolts and has a piece that loops around the bottom of the bumper for the plate mount? It's been so long since I have been under one of those trucks that I don't remember what it looks like under there.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:30 AM   #3
bmar

I was hoping someone had modified a center plate bracket and could tell me what they used. Something along this line that could be filed to fit, only not plastic.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2017, 01:42 AM   #4
mr48chev

I don't think you need anything that elaborate.

I don't have my doodle pad handy but think a piece of 1/4x1-1/2 flat bar (could be narrower) bolted to the two bottom bumper bolts. Then visualize two pieces of the same flat bar bent in a C shape curving around under the bumper and running out just past the front most point of the bumper. Now weld a piece of angle that is the same length as the license plate or just shorter to those C shape pieces with two holes to bolt the plate to. You want it just far enough in front of the bumper so the plate doesn't vibrate against the bumper. Or you could make your angle out of a plate size piece of 1/8 plate with a 90 at the bottom to weld to the C shape pieces. No fuss, 10 buck or less investment and if the plan ever changes easily removable with no marks left behind.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:58 AM   #5
bmar

This guy just bolted the plate on. It is in the right spot, but I would like the plate mounted to something that fits the bumper.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2017, 02:52 AM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

it wouldnt be hard to fab a box style bracket similar to the plastic one you showed...make it from 1/8" aluminum and contour the ends to fit your bumper...about any sheetmetal shop could knock that out quick....another option is one like this from summit....https://www.summitracing.com/search?...&keyword=59388
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
bmar

Building a bracket is an option, I have access to a metal shop. I was hoping for one I could just modify, what have other done for a fabricated one?
Old 09-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
joedoh

If you arent 100% certain you want to even run a front plate, I would call and make sure its 100% required, I looked over the montana law briefly and it looks like 61-3-301 allows a single rear only plate for vehicles over 30 years old. There are some requirements listed though that make it more complicated than that so maybe look at section d at this link http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/61/3/61-3-320.htm

also there are states that require two plates that exempt vehicles that dont come from the factory with a front plate holder.

if you want to run a front plate I would just get some 16ga and bend up a bracket with a plate mount. I personally like the front plate mounts, whenever I get a truck with one I always run a novelty plate on the front.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
bmar

I checked into the requirements and found them vague at best and confusing for sure. Maybe my best course of action is to wait and see if the police think a 1957 Chevy pickup truck needs a front license plate to help with Identification. I will just wait for now because I would rather not have a license plate on the front.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
mr48chev

Well you can buy a Montana street rod license plate and run a single rear plate according to this. http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/61/3/61-3-301.htm

I'm not a big fan of YOM, antique/classic or street rod plates simply because of the restrictions that are put on them by the state. Get the wrong cop pulling you over because you are hauling a load of stuff in the back with street rod plates and you might get a big ticket and could loose the use of the plate.

I'd rather just stick the plate in the cab either on the dash or somewhere within easy reach and if I got pulled over for no front plate tell the officer that you have a new bracket ordered but it hasn't come in yet. That may or may not work. From my own personal experience not having a front plate is one of the fastest ways to draw a cop's attention and get pulled over. I only got pulled over once for speeding in my 48 over a 20 year period but got pulled over for no front plate every time I left the plate off or didn't have the plate and bumper bolted on. Had the bumper with the plate on it in the back that time as I was headed to my buddy's place to get him to help me put it on. The state patrol here is death on no front plate.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmar View Post
This guy just bolted the plate on. It is in the right spot, but I would like the plate mounted to something that fits the bumper.
55-57 Ran the plate off to one side. 58-59 had them centered . You can buy a repo of the original bracket for $12-$15 from all the aftermarket vendors. I woul have a used original for $14 .
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

I plan to fab up something that conforms to the curve of the front bumper and install rare earth magnets from Harbor Freight. I'll put it on to drive around and take it off when parked.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #13
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Well you can buy a Montana street rod license plate and run a single rear plate according to this. http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/61/3/61-3-301.htm

the law you posted references the law I posted, which is why I posted it, and it states that old vehicles 30+ years old dont have to run a front plate if they meet the criteria in section d. he shouldnt need to apply for a street rod license plate, he may already be in compliance.

I am familiar with the street rod desingnation here in kansas and also in pa, both states dont allow antique registration and taxes for street rods. so its not a minor point, at least in those two states.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #14
bmar

There are some real junker cars and trucks cruising the roads here in Montana. No vehicle inspections that I know of, maybe some of the larger cities but I don't think so. Hard to say if the law enforcement will care about a front plate. I could set the plate on the dash, but I doubt that would appease a cop if he pulled me over. Still, I doubt he would write me a ticket.
I would mount the plate if I could come up with something I liked. The factory bracket has the plate sticking up in the air....nope, not for me. Centered on the bumper is ok, if it comes out looking nice, but I haven't seen anything so far. I will keep looking and maybe something will come along.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #15
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the law you posted references the law I posted, which is why I posted it, and it states that old vehicles 30+ years old dont have to run a front plate if they meet the criteria in section d. he shouldnt need to apply for a street rod license plate, he may already be in compliance.

I am familiar with the street rod desingnation here in kansas and also in pa, both states dont allow antique registration and taxes for street rods. so its not a minor point, at least in those two states.
Minnesota does not require a front plate on collector vehicles. The state offers the option of Classic, Street Rod or Collector plates as well as qualifying year of manufacture plates. Registration is a modest, one time fee with no annual renewal. Cars with collector plates cannot be used as a primary means transportation.

If you must run a front plate, it wouldn't take much to fab a bracket beneath the front bumper to avoid drilling visible holes in the bumper
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
bmar

Thanks to all for the advice and checking the Montana codes. I would like to avoid any problems, so I will continue to decide how I want to install the front plate. Maybe I will continue with the rat rod look and just drill holes and bolt the license on......
Old 09-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #17
Daze57

this may sound a bit nuts but they sell license plate retractors --usually used in the back -maybe you can modify one to use in the front
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #18
Daze57

License-Plate-Re-tractor-Kit-with-One-Touch-Switch
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
bmar

I don't mind having a license plate, if it looks nice. Most of what I have seen so far I haven't cared much for. I would leave it off though, if I could. The bumper is the original and we had to heat the bottom and bend it back into shape from a botched tow job at sometime in the past, so I am not out much if I need to get a new bumper.

(maybe I should have used the bumper with the "nifty" grill guard.)
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #20
vintovka

Ol story but All I can say is i got pulled over for having my rear plate exactly where GM put it on my 54 3100. Under tailgate above bumper in the area designed for it. Got cited after stopping to assist in an accident. HAd to take an original 1954 brochure to court and show the judge who tossed the case, The dumb ass officer was pissed.

Speaking of police the redlight and speed cameras are inspiring a whole world of new electronic warfare technology including digital plates, blank outs and other "defenses". This addition to new gps and radar detection that verbally warn "cameras ahead!!" . The latter could be linked to plate concealment or blank-out mechanisms.

Just saying think ahead in technology.

Last edited by vintovka; 09-23-2017 at 08:12 PM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #21
bmar

We are getting new technology all the time here in the town I live in on the western side of Montana. We now have five stop lights and two of them have traffic activation....
I can't imagine the cop would cite you after stopping to assist at an accident, he must have been having a bad day for sure.

There are traffic cameras in Spokane and I will take a look at what is available for detection systems. Thanks vintovka
Old 09-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #22
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmar View Post
We are getting new technology all the time here in the town I live in on the western side of Montana. We now have five stop lights and two of them have traffic activation....
I can't imagine the cop would cite you after stopping to assist at an accident, he must have been having a bad day for sure.

There are traffic cameras in Spokane and I will take a look at what is available for detection systems. Thanks vintovka
Sadly its not about safety anymore - its about revenue collection and insurance premiums. Many now run as many non camera lights as they can in defiance. The ones in Medford OR make folks actually drive badly in fear. My new car loudly announces warnings and flashes a bright red boxed warning in the heads up windshield display, Does it for both red light and speed cameras and scares the living sh-t out of you. Its a GPS locator function and standard in many models of GPSs and Smartphones. The plate hiders can be really sneaky. The led ones seem blackmarket . One i saw can be programmed to obscure plate on demand like 007. Others may be able to project any number or message in color.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #23
G&R's57GMC

On my '57 GMC the bracket mounts to the lower edge of the bumper in the center.

Here's the bracket for a '57 Chevy Car. You can get it from http://fillingstation.com Part # DC608B $ 17.95
Attached Images

'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 09-26-2017 at 11:47 PM.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #24
bmar

Thanks for the link. I might already have the bracket since the front of my truck, the fenders, came off of a 1956 GMC. My truck is lowered quite a bit and may need the plate to be higher.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #25
G&R's57GMC

The pic of the bracket shows it upside down.
Turn it over and mount the plate by the bottom holes and it should line up with the line in the bumper.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote