The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
wwotr

Cpde question???

My Wife & I bought an 05 GMC Sierra Ext Cab about 2 years ago.
At the time, we bought an extended "Bumper to Bumper Warranty".

About 2 weeks ago, it seemes to (ever so slightly) stumble, slight hesitation and the engine at idle seemed just a little rough.

Then about a week ago the "Check Engine" light came on.
We took it to our local mecahanic.
About 3 days later I stopped by to check on things.

The 1st words out of his mouth were, .......
"please tell me you've bought an Extended Warranty on this"?
He says he checked the engine and it was getting Spark and Gas.
He then checked the onboard computer and,
(if I can read his writing correctly), got a Code of #P0300 or P030D.
He says that compression in #2 & #7 were low on Compression and to have the Dealership run a Leak Down Test.
He thinks it's the very begginings of Burnt Valves or Worn Valve Guides.
He was surprised to see that on an engine with only 133K miles on it, exibit this kind of trouble. He's expect that on an engine that had 200K or more on it. So I havent heard back from the Dealership yet, but I thought I'd ask the more knowledgable people here what THEY thought the pronlem may be and how it should be taken care of.
My mechanic said they may just slap a new set of Heads on it,
or that the Sealerships have this "additive" that they can pour into the engine that seals/rebuilds the "Top Side" of the engine.

Thoughts/Comments on the whole situation would be welcomed.
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
truckdude239

Re: Cpde question???

umm i would demand a new engine if it was me

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
bwood

With an extended warranty, you are, for the most part, at their mercy. Burnt valves at that mileage may also point to other issues that they should explore. Also remember that if the dealer puts it on, reguardless of your extended warranty, it should have a 12 mo/12k miles warranty as long as it is a OEM part. Make sure they are very clear with their repairs and they explore all possibilities. The code you listed, P0300, is multiple cylinder misfire and can be hard to locate the cause.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood View Post
With an extended warranty, you are, for the most part, at their mercy. Burnt valves at that mileage may also point to other issues that they should explore. Also remember that if the dealer puts it on, reguardless of your extended warranty, it should have a 12 mo/12k miles warranty as long as it is a OEM part. Make sure they are very clear with their repairs and they explore all possibilities. The code you listed, P0300, is multiple cylinder misfire and can be hard to locate the cause.
Thanks Bwood!
I will keep this Thread posted on the outcome.
I took it in Wednesday morning and as of Friday, they haven't called,
so your explanation of trying to find the culpret, may be the reason they haven't called back yet.
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
bwood

The P0300 can set for so many little reasons. It is usually set when the misfires are somewhat random and usually on more than one cylinder. The tech should be able to look at the misfire counts and see which cylinders have been missing the most. It still could be many things, fuel pressure (low/high fuel pressure, clogged/dripping injector), ignitions issues (bad wires/plugs/coils), cat convter issues (usually the misfires will all be on one side of the engine), ect. I wonder how low the compression on #2 & #7 actually were compared to the others.

If they do decide to install a new set of heads, see if they will replace the knock sensors while they have it apart and do the "silacone" repair to keep them clean.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood View Post
The P0300 can set for so many little reasons. It is usually set when the misfires are somewhat random and usually on more than one cylinder. The tech should be able to look at the misfire counts and see which cylinders have been missing the most. It still could be many things, fuel pressure (low/high fuel pressure, clogged/dripping injector), ignitions issues (bad wires/plugs/coils), cat convter issues (usually the misfires will all be on one side of the engine), ect. I wonder how low the compression on #2 & #7 actually were compared to the others.

If they do decide to install a new set of heads, see if they will replace the knock sensors while they have it apart and do the "silacone" repair to keep them clean.
Thanks Guys....keep em' coming.
So far the Warranty Company has been fast/hoinest and helpful in their coorespondance to me.
The Dealership has been easy to understand and thourough.
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
wwotr

Just received a call from the Service Manager.
They need me to "Authorize a $900.00 Engine Tear Down",
before the Warranty Company will cover what is wrong,
(which he thinks it's the Head).
I asked what if the Warranty company denied the Claim, would I be on the Hook and he said "Yes".[
I said that I'd call the Warranty company and he said ,
"you can do that, but they will tell you the same thing, before they'll pay a Claim, we have to tear down the Engine"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 09-07-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
spudz

I work at a chevy dealership, I fix these all the time.. I bet Its a worn lobe or lobes on the camshaft. Bad camshafts are common as hell. Worn cam lobes also show less compression on the effected cyl AND has a missfire at idle.. P0300 is a code for random missfire. Wish you were closer, I could fix it for less then there tear down money. ANY gm dealership should recongnize that this is whats wrong with your truck. pm me if you need anything if they tell you its anything other then new cam and lifters i bet they are guessing...
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..

Last edited by spudz; 09-07-2010 at 09:55 PM.
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
I work at a chevy dealership, I fix these all the time.. I bet Its a worn lobe or lobes on the camshaft. Bad camshafts are common as hell. Worn cam lobes also show less compression on the effected cyl AND has a missfire at idle.. P0300 is a code for random missfire. Wish you were closer, I could fix it for less then there tear down money. ANY gm dealership should recongnize that this is whats wrong with your truck. pm me if you need anything if they tell you its anything other then new cam and lifters i bet they are guessing...
A 5.3 liter with worn cam lobes? Can you post a picture of a worn Gen III roller cam?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
spudz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
A 5.3 liter with worn cam lobes? Can you post a picture of a worn Gen III roller cam?
I mean I dont take a pic of damaged parts I replace at work! What happens is something fails in the roller lifter and once it wears thew the hardned surface of the cam lobe it doesnt take long to eat it up. ITS MOST common on the 6.0s with 35% of them being the 5.3s. Its common, also sometimes the only tell tell is a sqeal or chirp or a rattle at high rpms.. most commin is a missfire at idle and low compression on the missfireing cyls.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
Old 09-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
wwotr

Quote:
SPUDZ IS THE WINNER!!!

UPDATE:

The Dealership called this morning and saidthey found the problem and "Opened A Claim" with the Warranty Company.
He said it was a "Bad Cam, Lifters and Pushrods.
The Warranty Company is sending out an inspector on Monday to check it out and the Service Manager will call me back with an update after that.

A question among the more knowledgable.
In a situation (such as mine), if it IS the Camshaft, Lifters and pushrods,
would it be acceptable to replace JUST THOSE ITEMS,
and button the engine back together?
My Wifes Co-Workers (who are NOT Mechanically Knowledgable at all),
say a "New Engine" is in order.
Now I realize this is a Warranty Claim and,
(in my perspective) they rolled the Dice and LOST on this one,
are going to want to get off as cheaply as possible.

Also, any work done by the Dealership should be covered for an ADDITIONA 12 Months/12K Miles from the date of THIER work, whether the "Original warranty" has expired.....correct?
Roger
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 09-10-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
spudz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
SPUDZ IS THE WINNER!!!

UPDATE:
I know....I'm bad ass.... but anyways...
all work and GM parts are covered for 12 months 12 thousand. And yes, I would feel comfortable just sticking new cam and lifters in. That motor has alot of life left in it. the cyl heads have to be removed JUST to get the lifters out so if the motor has cyl wall damage they will see it then. But I am sure its fine. you should get 300k out of that motor.It will outlast the rest of your vehicle. I deal with customers all the time that try to demand a new engine because of a failure with theres.. You cant just stick a new engine in.. The warantee WILL NOT COVER the costs. You can only fix the damage unless the damage is more then the cost of a replacement engine.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
wwotr

Quote:
I know....I'm bad ass.... but anyways...
all work and GM parts are covered for 12 months 12 thousand. And yes, I would feel comfortable just sticking new cam and lifters in. That motor has alot of life left in it. the cyl heads have to be removed JUST to get the lifters out so if the motor has cyl wall damage they will see it then. But I am sure its fine. you should get 300k out of that motor.It will outlast the rest of your vehicle. I deal with customers all the time that try to demand a new engine because of a failure with theres.. You cant just stick a new engine in.. The warantee WILL NOT COVER the costs. You can only fix the damage unless the damage is more then the cost of a replacement engine.
So SPUDZ,tell me this....
I posted this same question over at the "Chevy Talk Forum".
Out of ALL the people that helped me over there,
the 1st guy to respond, didn't even answer the question.
He just started bagging on me because I didn't purchase the .....
Ultra Special Award Winning Uber-Stardom "GM Warranty".
Being that I bought this Truck from a small dealer, they did not offer the
"GM Warranty".
After 5 initial posts, he really hasn't answered my question and keeps up on the Soap Box about it.

This guy has posted about 6 times, that I would not be having this Conversation/Post/Problem, if I had purchased the "GM Warranty".

Are you familiar with it and why is he pushing so hard about it?
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
spudz

Quote:
So SPUDZ,tell me this....
I posted this same question over at the "Chevy Talk Forum".
Out of ALL the people that helped me over there,
the 1st guy to respond, didn't even answer the question.
He just started bagging on me because I didn't purchase the .....
Ultra Special Award Winning Uber-Stardom "GM Warranty".
Being that I bought this Truck from a small dealer, they did not offer the
"GM Warranty".
After 5 initial posts, he really hasn't answered my question and keeps up on the Soap Box about it.

This guy has posted about 6 times, that I would not be having this Conversation/Post/Problem, if I had purchased the "GM Warranty".

Are you familiar with it and why is he pushing so hard about it?
Its like this.. The aftermarket warranty that you have is going to try to get out of paying anything if they can and if u can produce service records etc. A PAIN in the ass. With a gm warranty, its really up to the dealership if its covered or not. And usually covers more. But it still works the same, you can only replace whats broken not entire engines and transmission. Its like this, if its covered under the gm warranty, its going to get fixed without waiting for a adjuster to come look. Its better but not so much that I would lose sleep over it.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
wwotr

Re: Code question???

Quote:
Its like this.. The aftermarket warranty that you have is going to try to get out of paying anything if they can and if u can produce service records etc. A PAIN in the ass. With a gm warranty, its really up to the dealership if its covered or not. And usually covers more. But it still works the same, you can only replace whats broken not entire engines and transmission. Its like this, if its covered under the gm warranty, its going to get fixed without waiting for a adjuster to come look. Its better but not so much that I would lose sleep over it.
So the guy on the other Forum was just being Obtoose.

;0)

P.S. I FINALLY fixed the spelling in the subject line..to "Code"!
(I need a smoke now).
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 09-10-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
spudz

Quote:
So the guy on the other Forum was just being Obtoose.

;0)

P.S. I FINALLY fixed the spelling in the subject line..to "Code"!
(I need a smoke now).
sounds like he wasnt offering very much help to me.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #17
wwotr

Quote:
SPUDZ IS THE WINNER!!!

UPDATE:

The Dealership called this morning and saidthey found the problem and "Opened A Claim" with the Warranty Company.
He said it was a "Bad Cam, Lifters and Pushrods.
The Warranty Company is sending out an inspector on Monday to check it out and the Service Manager will call me back with an update after that.

A question among the more knowledgable.
In a situation (such as mine), if it IS the Camshaft, Lifters and pushrods,
would it be acceptable to replace JUST THOSE ITEMS,
and button the engine back together?
My Wifes Co-Workers (who are NOT Mechanically Knowledgable at all),
say a "New Engine" is in order.
Now I realize this is a Warranty Claim and,
(in my perspective) they rolled the Dice and LOST on this one,
are going to want to get off as cheaply as possible.

Also, any work done by the Dealership should be covered for an ADDITIONA 12 Months/12K Miles from the date of THIER work, whether the "Original warranty" has expired.....correct?
Roger
Well the Inspector was out from the Warranty Company today, at the Dealership to look at the Camshaft.
The Service Manager says that HE THINKS, it was not an "Oiling Problem", but all indications point to "Metal Fatigue" on the Camshaft.
He'll be getting back to me, once he hears from the Inspector.
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #18
wwotr

UPDATE 9/16/10:
The Warranty Company's "Inspector" came out Monday to look at the Engine/Camshaft. Today I got a call from the Dealership.
The Warranty we have will pay for everything except the,
Head Bolts ($112.00), and an Oil Filter.

That means they're covering:
Labor-including $900.00 Tear Down Fee.
Camshaft, Lifters and 4 Push Rods.

I believe our out of pocket cost is about $230.00.
That would be for the parts and our $100.00 Deductible.
As far as I'm concerned, the Warranty Company treated us right on this one, and the initial cost of the Extended Warranty has paid for itself with this first Claim!
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #19
wwotr

I got an e-mail from the Warranty Company today.
They said the cost of the Claim was $3417.67

Now I don't know if there's any "padding" that goes on or like the Navy paying the supplier $900.00 for a Hammer, but like I said before,
this 1 Claim has paid for itself 3X over!
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"