The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #26
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: ? about not running inner fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fleet
Some vehicles get more than others.
Unless/until you mod your upper and/or lower control arm mount points, or the arm length, you've got the exact same suspension arc as everyone else with these trucks (unless they've modd'd theirs).
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #27
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehot69stepside
well i really dont think that even if you mod your factory fenders you will like it. When my truck was just lowered the tires were always rubbing the fenders like mad. and it rubbed on the insides not on the outside edges. I had to pretty much kiss u turns goodbye. And it wasn't even that low. I run 20's with a 245/40. I will do all that i can to convince you to tub it because I know and many other people know from experience that tubbing them up front is the safest and easiest way. ill find pics of tubs on c-10s and post them. you do know the inner fenders just unbolt right?

I say we get together and build a protype of bolt in inner fenders to lay frame! Think they would b marketable?
I see your point and it's a valid one. You're probably right about wanting to go lower, but I dunno.... I don't want to go through all the trouble of z'ing and sectioning the crossmember and all that. I'm just c-notching the rear so it won't lay out regardless. I'm not interested in laying frame or rocker. I don't have the fab skills to do the work nor the money to pay someone to do it. Wife keeps me in check w/ my spending habits
I know it'll be super easy to remove the inners, and trailer fenders fabbed in seem like a pretty easy/cheap alternative, would just have to do the bracketry somehow. I'm sure it woudn't be that hard. The truck's not a daily driver and it doesn't get driven in the rain so maybe I should go that route.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #28
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
Unless/until you mod your upper and/or lower control arm mount points, or the arm length, you've got the exact same suspension arc as everyone else with these trucks (unless they've modd'd theirs).
When I said other trucks I meant other fullsize models. Some get more than others, the NBS chevy's get some mad camber when fully laid out on stock arms. F*rd Rangers get the worst camber I've seen. It's awful.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #29
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehot69stepside
negative camber is when the tires go in towards the engine rather then out towards the wheel opening. Out is positive camber. And you dont get alot of camber until you take ur wheel wells out, so quit being scared and take them out and order a set of tubs and get to work! Either way It doesnt matter because if they are still in there when you bag it, I guarantee your gunna wanna go lower and yank those puppies out, and then ur gunna trim the outer fender, and then whatdya know... you need custom hood hinges after that.
That is not always true, I started out just wanting to put in a 700R4 and somting went way wrong. I to need to do custom inner fenders but first I need the final set of meats to build against. Right now I am sitting on the front fenders and I still get noise bleeds for being to hi. Next is the X-member chop and Strong arms then I will see what needs to be tweaked from their.

onehot69stepside~ Do you have any info on your hood set up? That looks great!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-13-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:17 AM   #30
onehot69stepside

yeah, without crossmember work or z you wont need to trim anymore off the fender. just unbolt and build against the arc thats there. I want to use tubs and trim them just right to butt up perfectly against the back side of the outside sheet metal. Then weld them to the inside structural part and use a really good flexible seam sealer on the part where it butts up to the outside metal. Or even getting a custom trailer fender made thats really wide so i can have a rolled inside edge for strength.

Last edited by onehot69stepside; 06-14-2006 at 02:19 AM.
onehot69stepside is offline   Reply With Quote