The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
rtinniste

Wtf did i get myself into 51 s10 swap

Hey guys I've been lurking around the site for about a month or 2 now and finally feel like I have enough progress to start a build thread.
rtinniste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
rtinniste

Re: Wtf did i get myself into 51 s10 swap

So I picked the truck up around November off a family friend 1951 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton. Was told the truck was all stock minus the funky interior, 12 volt conversion, and that it ran and drove 8 years ago before he parked it.

Checked everything out looked in good shape so i snagged it for 3 grand.

I was planning on building the truck in phases while keeping it drivable between phases. Original plan was mustang II, 4 link rear, bags then eventually v8 swap.
But first on the list was getting the straight 6 running and driving again and service the brakes.
So ran to napa to get new oil filter and fluids they had 2 oil filters listed so i just grabbed both. $100 bucks later I'm back at the house pull the oil filter and neither are the right filter and that's when i realize its not the original motor. My dad is pretty sure its a 235 and I'm clueless to the motor size. So I figured might as well just change the oil and see if i can even get it to turn over. And that's where things started to snowball.....
Old 12-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
rtinniste

I threw a battery in the truck turn the key and hit the floor starter, the starter spins but doesn't engage. Couple hits with the hammer fixed that try again motor spins but won't turn over. I remember the previous owner telling me something about the ignition switch is messed up.
So ill just by pass the switch and jump the coil that's when i noticed the burning smell under the dash so i disconnect the battery. And find a whole bunch of sketchy stuff...

There were about a half dozen wires like this running thru the firewall no grommets wires snaked thru the front support that doubled back that were pinched between the fender and splash shields. I have never seen such a tweaker wire job in my life and I've seen some sketchy stuff on air ride and stereo installs I've had to trouble shoot before.

But after removing all the fire hazard wiring i got the truck to turn over and idle for a couple seconds (i just poured some gas in the carb)
Now to remove the electric pusher fan they had on the truck along with the mechanical fan. Well just removing the electric fan i must of bumped something because it started leaking coolant and that's where i noticed all the jb weld used to patch the radiator. Great one more thing i have to buy now...

That's when i started doing research on front suspension for this hoopty. I was looking at mustang II and being from the offroad world nothing about the mustang II seemed right the lower tubular arms looked sketchy and i would end up adding more bracing in the cross member double sheer the lower pivot points etc. I just couldn't justify spending 2k on front suspension that would need to be modified more. That's where i came across this website and how much info there was on s10 swaps I knew it was a option but this forum is what really pushed me in this direction.

So now with the game plan changed i was on the search for parts took a week of non stop searching and calling people for a s10 long bed frame everyone was asking top dollar close to $1000 for frame. Then i came across a 92 s10 single cab long bed with a 350 swap running and driving for 2k was pretty close to buying that, when i found a frame for $300 about a 2 hours from my house. Loaded up the jeep and made my way down there.

didn't even have to load it the guy did it for me and i didnt have to worry about stripping a truck at my already crowded house

then 2 days later traded my klx110 for a 350/th350 combo

Then went and picked up the other bed the guy i bought the truck from had in his barn. Bed is in great shape just surface rust so ill have that blasted and primered soon

Last edited by rtinniste; 12-22-2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: photo link
Old 12-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
rtinniste

Now i started ordering all the parts to get this frame layed out. Most of everything is already installed the 4 link should be here by Thursday right in time for shut down at work.

speedway tubular uppers
new moog lowers
mcgraughys 2 inch drop spindles
new rotors bearings etc
thorbros 4 link
4x4 blazer 7.5" axle 3:73 gears and a posi (my search for the 8.5" turned up empty)

still waiting on ordering calipers cant decide if i want wilwood's or just oems for the front

Chopped of the s10 mounts went alot easier then what everyone made it out to be

Now we are up to date Friday I pulled the front clip every bolt broke off so that went fast. the front core support was a huge pain the bolts were rusted frozen, but they were loose so i couldn't drill them out, couldn't cut them with my grinder because they are sunk into the support. Tried a sawzall didn't work ended up using a vise grip underneath and drilled them out. Then Saturday i wanted to tackle the cab went pretty smooth except me being lazy i left the doors and hood and majority of the interior and used 4 eye bolts thru the mount holes and some chain. Ended up chopping the shifter off and cutting the steering column because it started raining on me and i just wanted to get it done and get everything back in the garage.
But got the cab off and set on my s10 frame by myself so i feel accomplished. didn't get much pictures just these.

front clip resting on it

Figured might as well pull the front clip apart it wasnt aligned good to begin with and got my fenders bolted up. I'll chop the front frame rails either today or tomorrow and try to start the body mounts also i have all the material i just need to either have my garage wired for 220 or go to my brother in laws.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
oldman3

I'll hang around for the build, doing good so far...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Looks like a really great start. Keep it up!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
chincha805

what did you do to get the front end wider? are the Speedway &
Moog control arms, wider than stock S10?
chincha805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
rtinniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
I'll hang around for the build, doing good so far...Jim
Thank you, i know you saw my introduction thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post
Looks like a really great start. Keep it up!
Thank you i finally getting some free time to get back on it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by chincha805 View Post
what did you do to get the front end wider? are the Speedway &
Moog control arms, wider than stock S10?
the moog arms are just stock s10 arms the speedway uppers i went with the 8.5" instead of the 8" figured it would be better to have the extra positive camber adjustment.
But i also don't have the front support in so the fenders could be pinched in slightly and the cab might not be perfectly squared up i just have it resting on 4" blocks for now. Everything looked pretty close tho.

But it looks like i can get away with no spacers with 15x8 reverse pattern supremes like i was planning.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #9
Chance48

Looks like another nice old bolt being brought back to a more glorious life. Lookin good sir.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686729
Chance48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
Advanced Design

Great start. I am tagging along.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:34 AM   #11
Iceburgh

I am digging the interior
Old 12-25-2015, 04:38 AM   #12
84blaze

Right on. Looking forward to this one
84blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
rtinniste

Small update my thor bros 4 link showed up on the 24th and i got about 50% of it installed that day. Spent close to 3 hours on removing rivets alone drilling them was actually alot easier then trying to cut them out
Still have to relocate the lower leaf perch 8" back for the lower links. So just the uppers installed for now I wanted to glassbead the perches before i install them so I'll do that on break at work today. And should have them installed today.

And the kit came with stover nuts for everything so i didn't put them on since I plan on having my link bars copper or nickle plated. But everything will have stover nuts, torqued to spec, and torque sealed on final assembly.

So with the cab 4 inches off my frame i shouldn't need a notch or have to de-hump lower control arms and lay my running board about 3/4" from the ground. Cant get over how my 1/2 of a truck looks laid out haha

OSHA approved work boots. Rear bag mounts, sway bar mounts, shock mounts I think I have them figured out just need my garage wired for 220 to start welding everything.

And this happened last week to my money pit Riding to low thru a local meet and when i went to park i cut the wheel to hard, tire grabbed the fender and folded my fender in. Total amateur hour worst part of it all i had to pull the fender out by hand because it was resting on top of my tire. I've never seen my girl cringe so bad she was honestly more bummed out about it then i was but then again shes the one that won't let me sell the car and she actually gets excited to go to meets, guess I'll keep her around.

And I just had the car painted about 4 months ago with glasurit base and 8 coats of glasurit clear and I added a bunch of metal flake, so i cant pull a fender from another car and just slap it on. Luckily i ordered extra paint so that needs to get fixed asap my rim lip taps it constantly now and every other day i have to shove a news paper in there to pull it back out. And i tapped the curb the week prior and have yet to fix that, thank the lord for polished aluminum. I've been driving this car way to much lately

But I did take it to Vazquez rocks without zero issues drove down a mile long dirt road to haha some of you may recognize the rocks in the background. Flinestones, star trek, etc all had scenes filmed there

Old 12-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #14
Cuttin up

That the same 4 link thats in mine. Its a nice setup, the worst part is all the damn rivets to grind off. haha. Your truck is looking good, looking forward to see it come along.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #15
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I'll keep an eye on this progress. Nice looking project.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #16
rtinniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttin up View Post
That the same 4 link thats in mine. Its a nice setup, the worst part is all the damn rivets to grind off. haha. Your truck is looking good, looking forward to see it come along.
I agree the kit is real nice everything lines up perfect no issues gotta love how easy these s10 frame are everything is like legos.
And if that ain't the damn truth about the rivets the drill helped alot even tho i killed 4 cobalt stub drills and a half bottle of cutting oil.

Any updates on yours? I'm excited to see a body on it your frame is lowwwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks View Post
I'll keep an eye on this progress. Nice looking project.
Thank you
Old 12-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #17
Cuttin up

I'm equally as exited to see the body on mine, just have to find the time to do so. I need to put a patch panel in the pass side kick panel area before I take the cab off. I need to get a weekend where the wife won't complain. haha.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:38 AM   #18
WorkinWrenchs

Great start already
Old 12-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #19
big_moss

great start man ill for sure follow your progress. good luck
Old 12-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #20
GreasyLikeaBurger

Subscribed also. What are you planning to do with the old rolling chassis? I maybe interested if you decided to get rid of it. I am just down the road in OC, but my 3100 is still torn apart at my parents house up in LA.
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #21
rtinniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyLikeaBurger View Post
Subscribed also. What are you planning to do with the old rolling chassis? I maybe interested if you decided to get rid of it. I am just down the road in OC, but my 3100 is still torn apart at my parents house up in LA.
To be honest I'm not sure yet. Either haul it out to Havasu and store it because I really feel like 10 years from now you wont be able to find any of these frames, find a cab on the cheap and build a second truck to flip with my brother in law since he has all the sheet metal laying on his side yard, or sell the frame straight out as a roller with the motor, trans, and torque tube.

But I'm not even sure what they are really worth. I'll let you know I need to make up my mind its just sitting on the driveway with the motor bagged up and the bed is starting to become a dumpster for s10 parts haha
Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #22
GreasyLikeaBurger

Cool. I would take it as a roller with the full drivetrain installed. I modded my '52 frame a longtime ago, and am thinking about going back to stock with it. Also, as you said, I was thinking about finding a 3 window cab and put my modded chassis under that.
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #23
rtinniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyLikeaBurger View Post
Cool. I would take it as a roller with the full drivetrain installed. I modded my '52 frame a longtime ago, and am thinking about going back to stock with it. Also, as you said, I was thinking about finding a 3 window cab and put my modded chassis under that.
i sent you a pm
Old 01-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
rtinniste

Small update if you can even call it that i guess

Chopped the front frame rails about a 1/2" after the steering box and bolted the grille up.

Also picked this up Friday was going to go with a Lincoln 180hd figured I'd spend a little more and get something I won't out grow. And I'm in love that's all i have to say my wallet says otherwise. I wish I picked one up in December when they had their $200 off deal but I got a killer deal on cyberweld and they have 6 months no interest with paypal cant beat that.

Finish welded the cab mounts and smoothed them out came out nice got the front mounts tacked in passenger side mount tacked in. And have cut the rear drivers mount off twice now.

First time measured the passenger side between front and rear mount then rear mount to factory s10 bed mount I left. All within 1/16th of a inch so i clamped the mount tack it in, measured everything was good.

Lower the body down go to drop a bolt thru the mount is 1/2" to far back to align with the cab hole even tho everything is dead on between mounts so chopped the mount off.
Then bolt the mount to the cab drop body down leveled the cab and centered the cab tack it in measured now I'm a 1/2" off between mounts even tho all 4 bolts drop in smoothly and everything looks straight. Didn't like that so off with the mount again.

There's a couple things i can think of that's causing it.

1. s10 upper bushing cup is really rusty and it might not be centering since the holes in the poly bushings are oval slots

2. either my cab or frame is twisted some what

3. I'm more buzzed then I think I am when I'm measuring

4. I need to quit being lazy and actually pull the cab instead of putting it on jack stands when I'm putting mounts on so i can cross check measurements

5. my hole saw might of shifted when i was cutting the bushing holes

I have some things to check when I get home I really think its between the hole saw shifted, the bushing cup throwing it off, and me being stupid thinking I can do this with the cab being on the frame still trying to rush things.

Hopefully that all makes sense
Old 01-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #25
lower50's

Your truck is looking great so far. I like the stance!!
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote