The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2018, 11:52 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Thursday, April 25, 2018

Just a status update:
I got all the wood in only to finally realize I couldn't put nuts on the bed strip carriage bolts above the gas tank - DUH!

So I have to pull it all out, remove the tank - and of course I just added 5 gallons to it - DUH x 2 - then reinstall the wood and re-mount the gas tank on the bottom of the lower frame flange instead of on top of it. I'm not sure if the weight of the fully loaded gas tank will be too heavy for the bolts with flat washers and I don't want to find that out later - so I'll use a continuous 1/8"x1" wide metal bar as a "washer." I will also have to spot weld nuts on the flange as I won't be able to reach the nuts after the wood is back in. Yikers!

MAN, it just seems like one thing after another. The rear cross sill was the only thing still needing final paint so I returned that back to the painter today. It'll be ready next week. Then the bed sides, fenders & side steps can be installed finally.

PS: Apparently every time I actually do something on the truck I am required to slightly screw it up as you can see in the pictures, I allowed the Forstner bit to wander some because oak is apparently a LOT harder than the fir I practiced on (I was trying to keep from drilling the counter sink too deep). I have since finished it to match but it's still visible. If I filled it, it would be MORE visible so I will live with it until later when I can mill one replacement board myself. Damn.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 04-27-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote