The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
BaroneDog

67 Stock Horn Button Assembly

Does anyone have a photo of the inside of a 1967 stock steering wheel horn assembly? I swapped to a stock wheel and had to buy the internals from LMC truck, which was tricky because I had to buy both the kits from the 67 and later (71 or so) models because the 67 kit they sold did not have the horn button retainer.

Anyway, I am not entirely sure which pieces to use from which kit and have tried it several ways with no luck. I have a mechanics manual for the truck with a schematic but that does not seem to be correct either. A photo of a working one would be worth 1000 words!

Here are the pics of the parts I have. Thanks!
Attached Images

BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: 67 Stock Horn Button Assembly

that looks like that may be the wrong cup. 67-68 have deeper cups than the 69-72.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
BaroneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
that looks like that may be the wrong cup. 67-68 have deeper cups than the 69-72.
Thanks. That makes sense. No matter how I assembled it, the horn button felt loose and did not have any travel. Any chance you know how to get the deeper version? LMC seems to offer only one type. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
dmjlambert

Besides just the shallow cup, there are parts in your kit that are not part of the stock assembly. So they must be spacers of some sort that may have been included to supposedly make the shallow cup work. Have you asked LMC how that is supposed to work?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
michael bustamante

yup hes right.... tose clear ones look like spacers that the pink ring sits on top of.
there are always a few people on the for sale section selling 67-68 horn mounting cups.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
BaroneDog

Quote:
yup hes right.... tose clear ones look like spacers that the pink ring sits on top of.
there are always a few people on the for sale section selling 67-68 horn mounting cups.
I have tried it several different ways with the parts shown, including the spacer and could not get it to work right. I did not call LMC because I figured they would not know any more than what is shown in their diagram (see below). However, I could also try to call. It is strange that the 67-68 version of the kit (#6 in the diagram below) does not even show a horn button retainer. So I also bought #7 (69-72) so I could get the retainer cup. Also, the contact switch in #6 is different from the one I ended up using (#8). It just seems like you cannot get a complete 67 kit but you can get partial parts and it is not clear to me exactly what I am missing. Frustrating how something that should be pretty simple is made difficult due to lack of info. Any other ideas? Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
michael bustamante

ok I see whats going on now... yup youll have to find a 67-68 cup and follow the diagram #6. try using your original switch if you have it as well. the only difference I know of if in the horn button assy's is that cup.
FYI I don't think the deeper cup is even reproduced. put a WTB ad
Old 08-30-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
BaroneDog

Quote:
ok I see whats going on now... yup youll have to find a 67-68 cup and follow the diagram #6. try using your original switch if you have it as well. the only difference I know of if in the horn button assy's is that cup.
Sorry, I don’t know what a WTB add is. Can u explain? Sorry.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:14 AM   #9
dmjlambert

Want to buy. Make a post over here in the parts section that says Want to Buy 67-68 horn button retainer cup, please give picture and price with postage to zip code xxxxx. Somebody will be able to help you out.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
BaroneDog

Quote:
Thanks for your help Michael and dmj. Got a reply for my WTB that was just right. Looks like they have what I need. Here is the other post and reply in case anyone else is interested:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post8335062

Thanks again!!!