The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
handyhands

Missing parts of a order

Hey guys, part of this is my fault. I ordered my glass for the 53 from Classic parts witch I always do for classic truck parts. Dec. last year I ordered the glass. I opened the box, glass looked great and packaging looked great ( big box) I only pulled out the window glass then put them back in the box. I was not going to need them for a while. Last week I went to put in the windshield glass and they where not in the box. check the invoice to make sure I did order and pay for the windshield glass. Then I sent Classic Parts an e-mail explaining what had happen. I got no response from them, sent one more a week later still no reply. I just ask them to send the glass as soon as possible. What do you guys think?
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
68blackbird

Re: Missing parts of a order

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhands View Post
Hey guys, part of this is my fault. I ordered my glass for the 53 from Classic parts witch I always do for classic truck parts. Dec. last year I ordered the glass. I opened the box, glass looked great and packaging looked great ( big box) I only pulled out the window glass then put them back in the box. I was not going to need them for a while. Last week I went to put in the windshield glass and they where not in the box. check the invoice to make sure I did order and pay for the windshield glass. Then I sent Classic Parts an e-mail explaining what had happen. I got no response from them, sent one more a week later still no reply. I just ask them to send the glass as soon as possible. What do you guys think?
I think you are not going to get a happy result. Its incumbent for the buyer to check packaging once received. 9 months later sounds like a long time for the seller to be on the hook for. Hope I am wrong, good luck, keep us posted, Kel
Old 09-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
mr48chev

I have to agree with 68Blackbird. 9 months is just too long to expect anyone to do anything about an order.

I have to say that I am guilty of ordering something for my truck and sticking the box on the shelf without checking it over seriously though. That from a guy who had to check off every item that came on an order for a number of years against the packing slip and invoice.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:22 AM   #4
GreasyLikeaBurger

I would try to get a hold of someone on the phone in customer service. As stated, you might be s creek. But they may have done inventory at some point and there count my +2 and they might believe its an error on there side. Never hurts to ask.
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyLikeaBurger View Post
I would try to get a hold of someone on the phone in customer service. As stated, you might be s creek. But they may have done inventory at some point and there count my +2 and they might believe its an error on there side. Never hurts to ask.
Yep, that's about it, if they have two extra in inventory, and you have contacted them that would be great. But that kind of accurate inventory is few and far between, most companies don't have a clue if the number is off a heck of a lot more than that.

But it's worth a try, and honestly, if they say that they can't help you. Do not be mad at the, they made and honest mistake 9 months ago, but so did you. It's such an odd thing, not like they get that call every week or something, it's pretty odd, so they may send you the glass.

But don't be mad at them if they don't.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I have to agree with 68Blackbird. 9 months is just too long to expect anyone to do anything about an order.

I have to say that I am guilty of ordering something for my truck and sticking the box on the shelf without checking it over seriously though. That from a guy who had to check off every item that came on an order for a number of years against the packing slip and invoice.
I was the parts man where I work for a couple of years. We do about 3.5 million in business a year so you can imagine there are a lot of parts going through there. It was so damn easy, I felt guilty collecting a check. No kidding, checking in the parts, "Mirroring" them with the original that they were replacing, going over every single part number on the part matching them with the invoice, posting it, returning what needed to be returned, marking everything so the tech could find it easily, it was so friggin easy it was crazy, just do it with the same SOP every time and it was so damn easy!

I can remember maybe twice, I know for sure once, but may be twice in those two years that ALL the parts that came in that day weren't posted, checked in and ready to go when I left to go home. There wasn't a box in front of the parts office, it was DONE. Each day being FINISHED. Not only that, I cleared carts, cleared out the metal and bumper racks of the parts from cars that have been delivered, I STILL felt that I was steeling from the company getting a check it was so easy.

Every guy who has done it after I did left that position hasn't been able to pull off these very simple tasks. I had to start dumping the carts and metal and bumpers again after the last guy let them pile up! They leave PILES of boxes outside every day, even in the rain! MANY days go by without posting parts on a car that needs to be repaired, MANY parts are checked in wrong, MANY parts are put in stupid places where no one can find them. There are PILES of returns that don't get returned (I sure wish I had that money!)

It's AMAZING, I am miles from a smart guy, or super hard worker or any of that, I just move along doing my job and these guys can't even do that! OMG it drives me nuts!

End of rant.

Brian

Old 09-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
handyhands

Yes I agree with you guys, it was my fought, but it was also my money. I will give them a call.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhands View Post
Yes I agree with you guys, it was my fought, but it was also my money. I will give them a call.
Every company is different, I know that LMC would probably send you those windows without a thought, I have had mind blowing good service from them.

Brian

Old 09-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
mr48chev

This should serve notice to all of us to inventory the orders against the packing slip and original order when we get parts from a vendor. I know I have been a bit lax at it shelving parts for the 48 sometimes without even opening the box.

That and I need to inventory what I actually have and dig out one of the file cabinets I bought to store project parts in.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #10
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
This should serve notice to all of us to inventory the orders against the packing slip and original order when we get parts from a vendor. I know I have been a bit lax at it shelving parts for the 48 sometimes without even opening the box.

That and I need to inventory what I actually have and dig out one of the file cabinets I bought to store project parts in.
I have to tell you, I got a binder and I did an inventory of my parts numbering the boxes. I just did this a few weeks ago and it's already saved my butt. I can anytime I want check something. Just last I posted about that glove box and someone mentioned that the hinges were different from the early to the late cab. I picked up my binder, went out to the shed, got the box, installed the hinges posted it here and problem was solved, done deal. I Put it back in the box and it's back out in the shed. I wouldn't even have tried if I didn't have the inventory binder, there is no way I would have went through those boxes looking for those hinges. They were even in two different boxes, but wham bam I did it because of that inventory binder.

And I have done that over and over since I did it.

Brian

Old 09-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
MARTINSR

By the way, I made pages of "dash," "cab," "suspension," "steering" etc. Then have a page with where the boxes are. It's working real well.

Brian

Old 09-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
mikebte

I could not agree more with all the statements above. It’s sad, but as a former parts guy you see a lot of shady people trying to get something for free. Them shady people are what makes it hard for genuine folks like ourselves to get results.

As stated, inventory, check operation (if at all possible) and work with trusted suppliers.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #13
handyhands

OK guys, I finally contacted Classic Parts . Angie ( customer service) was great, looked up the order and found the problem. Said they would send the windshield glass as soon as possible. Parts were on backorder but didn't get posted on my order. So I was billed but no glass. Thanks all.

s10/Ad 1953 5.3 DBW from 2002 Tahoe 4l60e. 23" lokar shifter, rally wheels, will be two tone smokie gray and flat black, duel exhaust kit (speedway) smithy glass packs( summit racing), s10 fuel tank with fitech fuel pump kit from speedway motors. Could not have done this without the help from you guys. Still have a long ways to go, but getting there.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
mikebte

That's good news. You now know they are on their game and you have someone to get parts from for now on.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #15
joedoh

HEY-OOOOOOOO

congrats

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #16
MARTINSR