The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #151
gdavis

Re: 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
I thought I had my hands full on cab work. You are a machine! I look away for a few days and Zowie....... You dang near have half the parts cleaned, painted and ready for install. Can't wait to see you tackle the cab.
The cab will take me a while. I repaired a bad spot on pass side today. In the cornor near the kick panel. and just below where the seat bolts on the floor. I am pleased with the results. But thanks for the vote of comfordence spelling is not my best feature.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #152
gdavis

Today I cut out the bad spot below where the seat bolts on the floor on the pass side. and also in the corner at the kick panel. This is where all the truck rust. I also install a pillar from my old donor cab. I also replaced the inter rocker on the pass side. Still have a lot of work on the pass side. Hope to install the outer rocker monday. Then I will do it all again on the drivers side. Hope to post pictures Monday or Tuesday. Keep your hand busy and your mind will follow.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #153
gdavis

Today I spot welded the outer rocker on the pass side. and if u look at the pic above you can see a bunch of straw in the crowl. Well it caught fire today. It looked like the whole cab was on fire. Just a lot of smoke.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #154
gdavis

I still have to weld a piece of metal over the gap on the floor next to the rocker. I don't like the 1 inch gap. But that was made that way. Tomorrow I will dry fit my door to see if the lines line up. That is why I only spot welded the rockers.

Also u can see the spot welds I drilled some of the out on the drivers side front floor pan. I hope to have it replaced tomorrow. Things are looking good.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #155
gdavis

Tomorrow I will install the front pillar on the drivers side also.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #156
gdavis

Well, I did not get as much done as I thought I would. Cut the front drivers side floor pan out. There was so much rust It was had to find the welds. But it is out.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #157
gdavis

Then I started to install pillar from my donor truck. It was the only thing on drivers side that was any good.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #158
gdavis

By then it was getting late so I cut the rear cab corner out and wire wheeled so I could install new cab corner.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #159
gdavis

I also cut out the 3 inch circle for the gas filler. and spot welded it in.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #160
gdavis

also, My helper got in the works. and my grand Daughter. She is my pride and joy. isn't grandchildren a blessing.
Attached Images

Last edited by gdavis; 07-26-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #161
gdavis

It is coming alone just fine. Now that i have a game plan. No more jumping around from part to part. I get bored with something and go do something else.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #162
Bomp

Wow
I thought that I had days I got a lot accomplished.
You Sir are flat out movin'!
I have to sit and stare at the screen, eyes wide open, cause if I blink you will have tons more done and I don't wanna miss it.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #163
67c10rustbuket

A lot of nice work done and a great family and values, keep it up brother!

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #164
Maddoxdb

Just read through your build. Great progress. Also glad to hear you're keeping the 68 front clip. Keep up the great work. I'll be following along!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Maddoxdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #165
gdavis

Quote:
Wow
I thought that I had days I got a lot accomplished.
You Sir are flat out movin'!
I have to sit and stare at the screen, eyes wide open, cause if I blink you will have tons more done and I don't wanna miss it.
Thank you so much. I try and do one thing and do it right. Sometimes it works and sometimes you have to step back and look.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #166
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
A lot of nice work done and a great family and values, keep it up brother!
thank you I enjoy my adophed sons around and my grand daughter. Again thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #167
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddoxdb View Post
Just read through your build. Great progress. Also glad to hear you're keeping the 68 front clip. Keep up the great work. I'll be following along!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea me too. I like the look of the 68 more than saving a few dollars.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #168
gdavis

Today, I blasted the rear cab and primed. Also installed the cab corner on the pass side Waiting for the bird to get done.

also some of my wife" idea. DOGS
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #169
gdavis

I still have to do the body work. So lets not look at the dents After I get the whole cab primed I will start on the dents and damage due to my welding and lack of knowing what i am doing.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #170
Xeen

You are definately making the right decision on keeping the 68 front clip, one of the "upgrades" im going to be doing to mine that you might consider is upgrading to the 69-72 wiring harness so you have side marker lights so people can see you at night.
When it comes to safety non-lighted reflectors just don't cut it, plus on top of that side markers that don't light up seem silly to me.
There is probably a guy around the forums here you could trade a 67-68 for a 69-72 harness if you don't have one or can't get one localy.
Also I noticed you did a ton of cutting all at once and partialy removed the floor and the Inner rockers simultaniously and didn't weld in any braces before hand.
The cab geometry (Square) can potentialy change on you with that much metal removed at once.
Things that can happen are the cab corners can move in or out and up and down, it can "twist", it can do all kinds of crazy things that you would have to put it on a frame table to correct.
Be very careful that your fit and fair doesn't go out of wack between the "A" and "B" pilar on both sides or your doors won't fit right and you will have a nightmare on your hands because you will have to cut it all back out and start over, don't say I didn't warn you it's very important that you get this right.
I realize you didn't know that because you aren't a body or frame man which is why im telling you.
I would have told you earlier but I didn't know you were going to do that, and I hate to worry you but it's far better you know this now rather than later when you find out the geometry is out of wack.
I've got my fingers crossed that it's still good.
Keep on truckin!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #171
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
You are definately making the right decision on keeping the 68 front clip, one of the "upgrades" im going to be doing to mine that you might consider is upgrading to the 69-72 wiring harness so you have side marker lights so people can see you at night.
When it comes to safety non-lighted reflectors just don't cut it, plus on top of that side markers that don't light up seem silly to me.
There is probably a guy around the forums here you could trade a 67-68 for a 69-72 harness if you don't have one or can't get one localy.
Also I noticed you did a ton of cutting all at once and partialy removed the floor and the Inner rockers simultaniously and didn't weld in any braces before hand.
The cab geometry (Square) can potentialy change on you with that much metal removed at once.
Things that can happen are the cab corners can move in or out and up and down, it can "twist", it can do all kinds of crazy things that you would have to put it on a frame table to correct.
Be very careful that your fit and fair doesn't go out of wack between the "A" and "B" pilar on both sides or your doors won't fit right and you will have a nightmare on your hands because you will have to cut it all back out and start over, don't say I didn't warn you it's very important that you get this right.
I realize you didn't know that because you aren't a body or frame man which is why im telling you.
I would have told you earlier but I didn't know you were going to do that, and I hate to worry you but it's far better you know this now rather than later when you find out the geometry is out of wack.
Keep on truckin!
I agree... Not good to hear but has to be said. Your going at an Awesome pace, Really dig your build. In the past I've cut everything apart only to weld it back together just to cut it all apart again. School of hard knocks. Don't want you to have to go through what I did.
My build it kinda out in a different catagory (cab stretch) but I've got notes and have measured the snot out of everything, ie the straight square cart jig the cab is bolted to for a solid foundation. Believe me,,,,I could have 6 or 7 pages added to my build if I included all the pics of me measuring.
Can't wait to see all the new metal. Your doing great. Your smart and have a heart of gold. Plus you've got some great little helpers.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #172
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Keep on truckin!
It did not spring out any when i cut it out. the rockers were completely rotted with rust. Do you know what the distance is from A to B. and from side to side. I knew that it was important not to let it get out of wack. But I had no other choice when I found the bad stuff. I to will be keeping my fingers crossed. I only sopt welded the outside rockers due to this. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by gdavis; 07-26-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #173
gdavis

Quote:
I agree... Not good to hear but has to be said. Your going at an Awesome pace, Really dig your build. In the past I've cut everything apart only to weld it back together just to cut it all apart again. School of hard knocks. Don't want you to have to go through what I did.
My build it kinda out in a different catagory (cab stretch) but I've got notes and have measured the snot out of everything, ie the straight square cart jig the cab is bolted to for a solid foundation. Believe me,,,,I could have 6 or 7 pages added to my build if I included all the pics of me measuring.
Can't wait to see all the new metal. Your doing great. Your smart and have a heart of gold. Plus you've got some great little helpers.
Yes i think I have a night mare in my hands. The inter and outer rockers were all rotted alone with the pillars. The bolts on the pillars were also rotted out completely. I measured but I think it was in vane. Do u have the measurements for the pillars A and B I ask Keen the same thing. about measurements. I thought between the two of you one might have them. Or are they all different from truck to truck. no two r alike. again thanks I need all the help I can get. And my helpers are a God sent to me.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #174
gdavis

Today I blasted the roof of the cab and primed. There was two 3/8 inch holes drilled in the roof. It looked like some one had two C B or something. I cut a small piece metal and welded them in and they come out nicely. I wish all my welds would come out that way. You can't even see where they were. I know that is what they supposed to do.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #175
gdavis

On the drivers side door there a re a lot of rust out places . what is the best way to fix this.I have trouble welding up side down.
Attached Images