The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
TA_C10

LS Standalone Harness + Battery Relocation + Bulkhead Connections

I'm trying to get this right the first time. I did some searching on this and this is the best diagram I could come up with. I am no wiring expert and really want to understand this.

What I have come up with is I need protection between the battery and alternator and protection between battery and bulkhead, and protection between battery and engine harness.

My info:
I have a LM7 LS swap with the original harness cut down to a standalone harness.
I will be doing a battery relocation to passenger side frame rail

So, will this work?
- Battery and Alternator = 100amp Circuit Breaker
- Battery and Bulkhead/Engine Harness = 80amp Circuit Breaker
- Battery and Engine Harness(LS) - 50amp
- Battery and Starter = FORD Solenoid (1989 mustang style)

The LS Harness is my biggest question here. Does it need to be on a separate circuit breaker or should I combine that with the 80amp going to truck bulkhead?

Here is a similar wiring diagram I found.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: LS Standalone Harness + Battery Relocation + Bulkhead Connections

you might ask this in the LS swap section...itll get more looks there...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
a.c.ward

from my experience with ls swaps, I have done 15 over the past couple years, 25 amp fuse is adequate as long as your fuel pump and fan(s) have a dedicated fuse/breaker for them, preferably individual. the fuses for fuel and fans is dependent on their requirements

hope this helps

66 El Camino

67 SWB underwent major Surgery- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=776475
a.c.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
dec010974

Hello TA_C10. Step away from the ledge and lets talk about this. Your diagram is nice but most of us that have completed several LSx Swaps find a simple way to accomplish the LSx feat. It's easy if you don't over think things. all of the LSx swaps I've seen, the alternator is controlled by the LSx PCM. In the harness, there should be a plug or connector designated for the alternator. It tells the alternator to charge the battery. The power cable from the alternator goes straight to the battery. I would use 8 gauge wire. there is no need for a circuit breaker (my Opinion). The cable that goes to the starter from battery does not need a circuit breaker (my opinion). I would use 2 gauge wire. The starter solenoid can run 10 gauge wire with no circuit breaker (my Opinion). The engine Harness (LSx) will need +12v battery power and +12v switch/Ignition Power and ground. you will also need to hook up at least the fuel pump and a fuel pump relay to get this engine to run. This is were things get a little tricky, but you can accomplish this LSx Swap wiring if you know the difference between +12v Switch/Ignition and +12v battery power. The LSX engine will have fuses or Fuse block protect the circuits, if you wanna call it a circuit breaker. 25 amp fuse or 30 amp fuse will be used for the LSx engine harness. And last but not least is the bulkhead/Engine harness. You're gonna have to explain to what this is. If you have any questions I will walk you thru. just give me a call. I am trying to complete my LSx wiring on my C10 RN. I am using a stock harness until my harness is completed by the vendor. Good luck. I hope I was able to assist you.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote