The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
RuthlessSuburban88

LS1 conversion in California, need advice and anything you got!

Hello, I live in California and want to switch my 350 small block that is about 21 years old in my 1985 K20 Suburban out for an LS1 motor, does anyone know the restrictions in California or if i can do it or any problems i would have? i want any advice or help you guys got! i wanna get the ball rolling on this engine swap just not sure how to go about it.. i heard you need a bunch of parts and whatnot to make it happen, and that it might not be able to be registered in California .. has anyone done this before? any advice please! thanks in advance to all of you that help!
Attached Images

RuthlessSuburban88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Rollo McFlurry

Re: LS1 conversion in California, need advice and anything you got!

Move to a different state.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rollo McFlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
ka_jd7and1
is a fungineer

Here are a couple links that may be useful:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...uidelines.html

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._V-8_Smog.html

The second link is centered around people who put V8s into S10 trucks, but it's a walkthrough on what happens with the state.

2003 S10, 2.2 auto- the daily driver, currently with a 2"/2" drop and some minor engine bolt-ons

1978 Impala 2-door, race 350/T350 - the new race car, in progress

1968 Chevy C10 longbed- 3/5 drop, currently undergoing a heart transplant
ka_jd7and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Z POPPY

I have done many engine changes in California. Have not in some time. Car engines newer to trucks, not older. No truck engines in cars. Must be same year or newer. First rule, becomes friends at the local B.A.R office. You have to meet the emission requirements for the year of the engine. This will include cats, air filter system and evaporator. You will have to have a operating check engine light system. If you buy all new you will have to smog for the year 2013. When you get to the B.A.R inspection for your truck it will take 2-3 hours. They will check everything. Then a cert sticker will be placed in the truck door jam. Then you can smog it like normal. But I have ran into many shops afraid to smog or think I'm with the BAR. The LS swap is very popular in non smog trucks. If you consider this I would suggest getting a donor truck. Factory manuals order from Helm publications. One for your truck and the donor. Another idea. Why not a hidden stroker motor. We get by the 1990 chevy. 383 stroker, mild cam, vortec heads, Cat 3" exhaust flowmaster & Doug thorley headers. Passes smog every 2 years.
Z POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Here is a expensive, but bolt in and smog legal.

It also explains how you just need a couple of small things.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...0809_gmpp.html
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
RuthlessSuburban88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo McFlurry View Post
Move to a different state.
Posted via Mobile Device
i would love to! haha
Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
RuthlessSuburban88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_jd7and1 View Post
Here are a couple links that may be useful:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...uidelines.html

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._V-8_Smog.html

The second link is centered around people who put V8s into S10 trucks, but it's a walkthrough on what happens with the state.
thanks alot ! that should help out i hope, when i get the time ill check those out .. California has so many damn rules...
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
RuthlessSuburban88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z POPPY View Post
I have done many engine changes in California. Have not in some time. Car engines newer to trucks, not older. No truck engines in cars. Must be same year or newer. First rule, becomes friends at the local B.A.R office. You have to meet the emission requirements for the year of the engine. This will include cats, air filter system and evaporator. You will have to have a operating check engine light system. If you buy all new you will have to smog for the year 2013. When you get to the B.A.R inspection for your truck it will take 2-3 hours. They will check everything. Then a cert sticker will be placed in the truck door jam. Then you can smog it like normal. But I have ran into many shops afraid to smog or think I'm with the BAR. The LS swap is very popular in non smog trucks. If you consider this I would suggest getting a donor truck. Factory manuals order from Helm publications. One for your truck and the donor. Another idea. Why not a hidden stroker motor. We get by the 1990 chevy. 383 stroker, mild cam, vortec heads, Cat 3" exhaust flowmaster & Doug thorley headers. Passes smog every 2 years.
2-3 hours for inspection!?wow, not sure what they look for but if it takes that long im sure its everything, hopefully the truck its self not including the motor will be fine.. thanks for the help i appreciate it!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
RuthlessSuburban88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Here is a expensive, but bolt in and smog legal.

It also explains how you just need a couple of small things.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...0809_gmpp.html
Thank you much! when i get the chance i will check out all the links and hopefully can get done with this swap lol
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
cableguy0

Im going to move this to the LS forum. The guys that hang in there will probably be more familiar with some of the rules and Cali.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
RuthlessSuburban88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Im going to move this to the LS forum. The guys that hang in there will probably be more familiar with some of the rules and Cali.
Awesome! I appreciate it alot!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
RuthlessSuburban88

bump
Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #13
chebyshortbox65

No bigge just make sure everything from the doner vehicle that's smog related is kept I make a good supplementry income doing these swaps have any questions pm me
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote