The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2022, 07:37 PM   #526
Just call me Sean

Re: What did you do to your truck today??

It's only been six months, of course it's time for brakes again on the 93. And one rotor. I'll install them later or tomorrow, among other things.
Attached Images

Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #527
Boog
laying low

Gave my red sportsider a good car wash scrubbing. First since the snow and ice we had. Looking ready for springtime now.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:33 PM   #528
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Gave my red sportsider a good car wash scrubbing. First since the snow and ice we had. Looking ready for springtime now.
How about a picture?
Old 02-18-2022, 11:25 PM   #529
Boog
laying low

Yeah. Maybe tomorrow.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #530
Boog
laying low

Washed up after the ice and snow.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2022, 03:01 PM   #531
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Washed up after the ice and snow.
Nice. I like the stepside bed better on the regular cab shortbed trucks.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #532
Just call me Sean

Here's where I'm at right now. Picked up a pitman arm puller from Harbor Freight. Removed the pitman arm, idler arm and idler arm holder and exchanged them for new ones. When I removed the cotter pins from the idler and pitman arms the nuts came off by hand and the center link fell right off. When I removed the nut holding the pitman arm to the steering box the arm fell right off. I knew the pitman arm shaft was worn and the center link, I have a used steering box and center link. I'm taking a break, then I'll get back to it. Removing the steering box next.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #533
Boog
laying low

You won't know how to act with a tight front end again.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:42 PM   #534
Just call me Sean

Yea, it's a lot better. The steering wheel is a little more crooked now, about 3/16 off was about 1/8. I'll probably straighten it tomorrow, I think it's going to bug the crap out of me.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:15 AM   #535
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Nice. I like the stepside bed better on the regular cab shortbed trucks.
I think it was a bad idea ever offering the Sportside with the extended cab. Totally Dorksville. There is one parked at these condos I've been going to lately. Since the Sportside only came in shortbed, I wanted to say long ago I had a picture of the only one I ever say someone build. I think it looked super cool. That would be a shoulda woulda style custom I'd like to build off a K2500/K3500 SRW. It's on my list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Here's where I'm at right now. Picked up a pitman arm puller from Harbor Freight. Removed the pitman arm, idler arm and idler arm holder and exchanged them for new ones. When I removed the cotter pins from the idler and pitman arms the nuts came off by hand and the center link fell right off. When I removed the nut holding the pitman arm to the steering box the arm fell right off. I knew the pitman arm shaft was worn and the center link, I have a used steering box and center link. I'm taking a break, then I'll get back to it. Removing the steering box next.
I think I'll borrow your idea... one day. I'm about to order a pair of tires for the Suburban. I'd like to see them last a while. They sure ain't cheap! What's funny is the this set of tires never wore uneven and I wasn't so good about rotating after a while

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:19 PM   #536
Just call me Sean

It took me three tries, but the steering wheel is straight. 3 1/4 turns of the adjuster each side. I managed to leave the wrench on a bolt the second try, but I found it in the driveway.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #537
Boog
laying low

About as close as you can get.
Now how does it drive?

Old 02-20-2022, 06:29 PM   #538
Just call me Sean

Quote:
About as close as you can get.
Now how does it drive?
Much better than before. No more quarter turn slop. Almost as good as the 99, but it needs an alignment.

I put the old distributor cap back on the 99 so I could return the new cap and rotor set. Now it runs like garbage, but it doesn't run backwards. Random cylinder misfire code. The new AC Delco ones will be in tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:05 PM   #539
Boog
laying low

Well Lord have mercy! I hope AC Delco is the cure for your problems.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:44 PM   #540
Just call me Sean

I picked up the cap and rotor but didn't put them on yet. I got a little messy at the junkyard pulling axle shafts for the S10 after work. Gear oil really stinks. I swear I can still smell it, I even bumped up my monthly shower.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:00 PM   #541
Boog
laying low

Oh, no doubt you had an "air" about you.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:15 AM   #542
special-K
Special Order

Gear oil and diesel are the smell of the devil. Diesel not so bad, but getting ride of the smell is sure hard. Used gear oil is about rank as it gets. Keeps rodents away

What I do to my '95 Suburban everyday is run it a little farther into the ground. I should be ashamed. That poor thing just keeps on taking it. I feel Spring coming on and want to use that as a perk to start knocking down the list and give that loyal dog some love.

Tires are a must be first item. I've been running the tires off my '72 on the rear. Had them all the way around, but when new tires weren't coming along fast enough and I got tired of the fronts rubbing when parking. I dismounted the one pair off the Suburban and took to the sandblaster who I had to paint them white (7" Accurides). Those are ready and this weekend I'm ordering the set of new tires. So I'm switching the '72 tires (8" steelies) back on the front to have the 7" pair dismounted so I can drop them off when I pick up the first pair. Then I'll see about taking care of some worn front end parts. I was set on getting 255/85s but have allowed reality to prevail. I can get quality 285/75s (what's on it now, and the '72) and save $500 that will buy a lot of parts needed.

Meanwhile, the dash situation. I keep finding the trim parts I need, blue cluster surround, cupholder, glovebox, on Ebay, but really want to check my local junkyard first (to save money again). I have the heat and wiper modules as well as the multi-function switch. Just waiting till I get a 96-00 heater control panel and hopefully find a harness to clip at the junk yard. Might also get lucky on finding a control panel with good clips. I really need to get to the junkyard! I also have an upgrade steering wheel and stereo to put in while I'm at it. Oh, and a pair of bucket seats to swap in. I'm real anxious to get all this done. Will feel so nice to have a refreshed cockpit!

I whole lot of "I'm gonnas" to come through on. Can't wait to report each completion. I get all that done and it's new windshield, then true dual exhaust

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-23-2022, 07:42 PM   #543
Just call me Sean

Better not wait too long to get to the junkyard. I went to mine and they crushed some trucks I wanted parts from.
Old 02-23-2022, 11:18 PM   #544
special-K
Special Order

This one is always revolving. Lots of volume and nothing stays for long. It's owned by LKQ.

Tim

Old 02-23-2022, 11:50 PM   #545
Just call me Sean

The one I go to they look for things I want and they put stuff aside for me. They put aside a 350 for me, but it's actually a 400. Also the wrong year, too old. But they tried.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:39 PM   #546
special-K
Special Order

I wish someone would set a 400 aside for me. I love those. Since LKQ is a giant parts corporation, they take first pick on parts, then put them out for the rest of us. It sucks that the prior owners sold to them. One thing I liked when I moved here is there were 5 or 6 junkyards. Now only one and LKQ bought it

Tim

Old 02-25-2022, 01:13 AM   #547
Just call me Sean

There are at least seven junkyards within a five mile radius of my house, and more further out. I like to shop at the one though. They give me real good prices.

So every day when I get home from work I turn off the truck in the driveway to unlock the gate. Lately it hasn't been starting back up sometimes and I give the starter a few taps with a hammer. Today no amount of whacking was making it start so I dragged it through the gate with the van and changed the starter in the dirt. The 93, I did the 99 starter like last week.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:16 AM   #548
special-K
Special Order

I got through most of a summer in a '71 I had that wouldn't start once running temp. I was picking my son up at daycare after work, too. The routine was pop the hood while I went in to get him, although that didn't let it cool enough. Then I'd scoop a big cup full of water from the cooler and pour it on the starter, shut hood, hop in, and fire it up. I finally replaced it when I had the time.

I can travel to a lot of junkyards, mostly within an hour. The one here people come from all around, like out of Baltimore and Wash, DC and their suburbs. The location is, or was, just far enough outside the cities to have junkyards, saw mills, and dirt roads. Also is where all the contractors and truckers lived because we can do what we want here. But the old story, development, is changing that. Actually, Baltimore used to have a lot of Junkyards, as well as US1 between there and DC. Used to be the blue collar corridor. A place no one else wanted to live. Race tracks, motels, bars, speed shops, car shops. used car lots, Bike shops, and trucking companies. It's amazing how that stretch has changed. Real estate became a valuable thing

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 02-25-2022 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:41 PM   #549
special-K
Special Order

I swapped the tires off my '72 onto the front of my '95 Suburban so I could get those tires dismounted. My favorite tire shop was closed today so I used one of the shops in town. The guy said a couple hours, so I killed time on errands. Still not done, so I took care of more things in town. Finally at almost 3 I picked them up. Rode them out to my sandblaster in the country. Shop is closed but it's next to the house. She wasn't answering the phone but I figured I'd drop the wheels off either way. Fortunately she had just stopped in, as she is dog sitting all weekend at a friend's house. So I got to pick up the first pair of wheels. They look fantastic, 7" Accurides painted white. I can't wait to get this second pair back. I just ordered tires today. I also ordered Gates hydroboost lines from Rock Auto. So, didn't do any work on the beast but got some parts going. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to the junk yard and find parts I need to the interior

Tim

Old 02-27-2022, 12:09 AM   #550
Boog
laying low

You have yards open on Sunday? I wish I did. The main yard around here is open Wed - Sat only...