The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #51
skorpioskorpio

Re: Blazer half cabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLONG View Post
SKORPIOSKORPIO / I am going to have my blazer wrapped so thinking of white. The top is kinda a dark dark blue looking right now.
Another wrap, interesting, what color? I'm going to be powder coating mine, seems like alternative color methods are all the rage. Can't really powdercoat a composite top though ...and I don't think trying to wrap the gutters would play out real well either
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #52
truckeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckeez View Post
Liz - I sent a message to Jeff concerning this two days ago and he did not reply.
My mistake--i meant Josh.
truckeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #53
RLONG

This is what the wrap is going to look like.
Attached Images

RLONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #54
jaros44sr

Looks cool to me, nice transformation....i like the wheels too

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #55
Chulisohombre

That does look pretty good. Rlong do you get wheel rub when wheeling? Looks like the tires are pretty close on the rear axle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #56
RLONG

No rub rear some front left corner.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #57
truckeez

Quote:
My stuff is First Rate quality,,its just the typical American thinks anything fiberglass is cheap and made by an alcohalic that runs a chopper gun all day. lots of it is too, gives everyone who designs and builds good stuff a bad rap,,

and also the fact that 69-72 is one labor INTENSIVE muthu ff=err

then there's the spoiled wallyworld attitude that has many people thinking they are entitled to chinese prices, perhaps they can hit Obama -or Aunt Nancy up for some govt cheese............
This top weighed in at 85 lbs.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #58
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
This is what the wrap is going to look like.
So are you doing dye sublimation on the print?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #59
RLONG

Yes I guess that is what it is called.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #60
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Yes I guess that is what it is called.
You should check, there is ink print which fades faster, dye sublimation and resin transfer. Resin transfer is durable but is a surface application on the vinyl and any scratches or nicks will be white. There is also a process where the vinyl is actually multiple solid colors fused together, but that is made on equipment that is way beyond what a typical local sign shop has. The most common is, or at least was, ink and it's the cheapest, but has a outdoor life expectancy of only about 18-36 months and is what is used typically on bus wraps where the wraps are changed often, they can also be over wrapped in clear which makes them more durable but not that much more fade resistant. The fused process is used on semi trailers and applications where high UV and abrasion resistance and long life span is required, but I don't think the resulting product is flexible enough to do a wrap, and it's by far the most expensive of the options.

Anyway, this is all what the situation was a few years back and might have changed some, but I doubt by much if it has, you should check before you commit. It would really suck to go through all the effort and have it look like crap a year or so later. Your truck looks pretty capable of getting dirty and you'll want to make sure it's also capable of being scrubbed down and cleaned.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #61
RLONG

Thanks for the info I will be doing some checking.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #62
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Bringing this back from the dead cause I just scored a MTP
1/2 Top and I need a new window seal for it? She has the
rear slider in it, looks exactly like the one "Jaros44sr" has.

PS - I sold that bulkhead along with my Pacesetter top.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #63
jaros44sr

Nice, post up some pics mounted on a 2wd.....LMK if you find a gasket, mine is separated alittle

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #64
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Mine's still intact, but separated in both
corners just like your one corner. Don't
have it on yet do to no visors and my
Windshield header doesn't have the
holes in center for other brackets.

Bulkhead isn't real good, but does fit
better than one I got from you. She
needs a little TLC. I just couldn't
pass her up once I saw pic's.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #65
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Jim, Have yet to find a gasket, but got it mounted.

I made an Aluminum cheater bar to hold rear down
for the CTC trip until I can have bulkhead repaired.

I will try to post a few pic's this weekend on Blazer.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #66
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Here's one...with optional deer stand for extra passengers.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #67
Chulisohombre

And it's for sale apparently.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #68
BSRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneyard View Post
That would be me. I'm having a hard time finding someone to produce 2 or 3 at a time for a reasonable price. The way it looks now I would have to sell them for 1500 each.
Do you still have the molds for a half cab? I've been in contact with Bruce in Texas that has the "sexy half cab" web site about purchasing his molds. Would you be interested in exchanging information. I live in Nebraska and would like to do something to obtain a half cab for my Jimmy closer to home or exploring the interest out there.
Bruce
BSRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #69
truckeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSRL View Post
Do you still have the molds for a half cab? I've been in contact with Bruce in Texas that has the "sexy half cab" web site about purchasing his molds. Would you be interested in exchanging information. I live in Nebraska and would like to do something to obtain a half cab for my Jimmy closer to home or exploring the interest out there.
Bruce
Really,, I saw his steel mockup in a shop owned by a guy I used to work with--there were no molds.

the molds of other stuff I saw were not reinforced with any kind of bracing to provide integrity or were they anywhere near the right thickness, there were Ferrari replica stuff that were only 3/16" for front end molds--all that kind of big stuff has to be done correctly to make sure they stay in the right shape.

the guy he had running the shop say'd "we make about one of these a month" -I had to check myself from busting out laughing, No one is selling one of those a month--no way, especially having some shop sub stuff,,, when he went into the next room I went over and tapped it with my finger--just the steel copy of what he watched me do when I started the project-- with a buddys roof clip ---> in Bruces garage.
he lost patience and would not let me get the model to the stage where I could take it to my shop to finish, I ended up having to spend 3.5 mos driving 1 1/2 hrs away to the other guys house and finish the model-- and build the molds for the Blazer Sport Top on his 72.

ill never do projects like that one again--only stuff im into.

Last edited by truckeez; 12-10-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #70
truckeez

Im getting one of my ragtop Camaros happinin again, with an ls 327 and a new carbon/kevelar removable hardtop, Theres an interested guy in Duabi, and a buddy living there now trying to start his vehicle importing buis , if the $$ are right my old rock star will be on the other side of the world in a yr or so.
Attached Images

Last edited by truckeez; 12-10-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #71
BSRL

Quote:
Really,, I saw his steel mockup in a shop owned by a guy I used to work with--there were no molds.

the molds of other stuff I saw were not reinforced with any kind of bracing to provide integrity or were they anywhere near the right thickness, there were Ferrari replica stuff that were only 3/16" for front end molds--all that kind of big stuff has to be done correctly to make sure they stay in the right shape.

the guy he had running the shop say'd "we make about one of these a month" -I had to check myself from busting out laughing, No one is selling one of those a month--no way, especially having some shop sub stuff,,, when he went into the next room I went over and tapped it with my finger--just the steel copy of what he watched me do when I started the project-- with a buddys roof clip ---> in Bruces garage.
he lost patience and would not let me get the model to the stage where I could take it to my shop to finish, I ended up having to spend 3.5 mos driving 1 1/2 hrs away to the other guys house and finish the model-- and build the molds for the Blazer Sport Top on his 72.

ill never do projects like that one again--only stuff im into.

Thanks for the input. I was told that the first mold failed because it was to light. I remember reading that someone had molds here in Nebraska. I have a local manufacturer considering producing them for me, I just hate to eat 10 of them if they in fact decide that 10 is their minimum production number.
They aren't cheap but I'd really like to have on. Is there any interest out there?
Old 12-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #72
truckeez

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I was told that the first mold failed because it was to light. I remember reading that someone had molds here in Nebraska. I have a local manufacturer considering producing them for me, I just hate to eat 10 of them if they in fact decide that 10 is their minimum production number.
They aren't cheap but I'd really like to have on. Is there any interest out there?
You would be "going in DEEP" on a fools errand, the old blazer crowd would LOVE it,,
someone with no sense about this market gets that many made up, and ever one of the old truck guys would sit around watching like vultures for what they all have been waiting for all along, You tumbling on the price to attempt getting some of your loss back,a $450.00 top.
even if you could find a honest shop in that Cut Throat buis --they would want $750 to make them, Seriously you would loose your ass on that.
I would never make anything a customer dosent pay 1/2 down first, period.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #73
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Nice, post up some pics mounted on a 2wd
Well better late than never, haven't been on much

If you look closely you can see the Aluminum cheater
bar in pic #1 running across under the rear of my top.

Still need to get the minor spots on it fixed & paint it.
(Also need the bulkhead repaired, bottom is all gone)

Old 12-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #74
BSRL

Quote:
You would be "going in DEEP" on a fools errand, the old blazer crowd would LOVE it,,
someone with no sense about this market gets that many made up, and ever one of the old truck guys would sit around watching like vultures for what they all have been waiting for all along, You tumbling on the price to attempt getting some of your loss back,a $450.00 top.
even if you could find a honest shop in that Cut Throat buis --they would want $750 to make them, Seriously you would loose your ass on that.
I would never make anything a customer dosent pay 1/2 down first, period.
Truckeez, again thanks for the input; point taken! This local manufacturer is very reputable, and the owner is into cars; he produced a rep-pop 59 "vette" that sold a B-J auction a couple of years ago for over $200k. Interestingly enough his rep guessed their charge to produce would be $750.00 give or take so you're right on for cost. Remains to be seen if they're willing to participate and if I hear from "boneyard" about his molds. I'm thinking $1250.00 to $1500.00 would be what they'd cost; your probably right, too many want something for nothing..
Old 12-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #75
truckeez

Thumbs down Re: Blazer half cabs

Quote:
Truckeez, again thanks for the input; point taken! This local manufacturer is very reputable, and the owner is into cars; he produced a rep-pop 59 "vette" that sold a B-J auction a couple of years ago for over $200k. Interestingly enough his rep guessed their charge to produce would be $750.00 give or take so you're right on for cost. Remains to be seen if they're willing to participate and if I hear from "boneyard" about his molds. I'm thinking $1250.00 to $1500.00 would be what they'd cost; your probably right, too many want something for nothing..

Its not a go deal -- the crowd .... I wont say they Strive to stay broke but that's a fact of life these days, even if it were-- lowlifes like Bezos have conditioned the brains of his minions that they are entitled to free shipping.
the whole crowd of vendors selling the cheap Chinese sheetmetal--against 125 others selling the same thing.
the institution of Entrepreneur-ship is now basically devoid of the most important detail--the margin.