The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
MASTERBrian

Headers and exhaust?

I'd love to install long headers on my '60 suburban, but I need to cut the spending down for a while. I can swing the headers, I was quoted about $100 from summit or jegs. I don't recall off hand if that was hooker, comp or house brand.

The issue is all of the shops are quoting about $600-800 for the rest of the exhaust. I just can't commit to that now and I either need to bolt up the manifolds and ruin what I have for now or order the headers.

If I do headers, can I buy the rest of the exhaust off the shelf and build it myself? I don't have a tubing bender, so I'd have to get pre-bent parts. Is that possible and where do you get? Would local parts store have stuff for these?

What about tapping into current exhaust, ? Is that possible if it's currently designed for manifolds?

Lastly, what about temporarily running glass packs just of the headers? I know they are loud, but it might get me into the header and a temp solution. My state has no laws regarding exhaust/emission.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Headers and exhaust?

When I put headers on my truck I just figured out about where my mufflers needed to be and bent some stiff wire in the shape I needed the exhaust pipe (mine only needed a 6" offset) and took that wire to a muffler shop and had them bend me 2 pieces of pipe to match the wire..I welded the flanges on and put it in myself..I'm dumping in front of the axle..cost $30 fof the 2 pipes. He even bent me a couple of turndowns out of scrap pipe at no charge..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I bought a 10 foot stick of 3" pipe and one 180 degree mandrel bent 3" pipe. Then made my own exhaust that dumps out in front of the rear tires. The headers came with collectors to weld on to the pipe. Total cost including headers was about $350 bucks.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #4
66 C10 383

From personal experience, I've run cheap headers and 100.00 for any headers is cheap. They are normally sub standard, thin flanges that warp or bend and won't properly hold a gasket (constantly tick-tick-tick exhaust leaks) and thinner gauge tubing.

Better quality made headers are more expensive for a reason. Good headers with thicker flanges will hold gaskets leak free for years and thicker tubing won't rust out.

If all I had was a budget of 100.00 for headers, stick with manifolds. No they're not as "cool" but they are a lot less grief.

Just from my own personal eperience ... trying to save some headaches in advance.

Old Build Thread - 383/T56
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=540838

Updated Build Thread - Modern Relic - 66 C10 536 Dark Aqua
5.3/4L60E - BTR Stage IV Truck Cam - Vintage Air - Dakota Digital
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=778784
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:35 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Part of the issue you will be up against is the the '60-'62 frames are a PITA to work within especially when routing exhaust. I don't know if you could run header mufflers. Yes you can buy prebent elbows and such to build your own, but you need a welder and know how to weld. Since you are on a budget, I would just either use the original manifolds or get some headers and modify your current exhaust to mate up to the headers.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

$100 long tubes new? That has problems written all over it.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
MASTERBrian

I looked back and the headman headers are $150-190. Those are the painted, which they say is only a temp coating. The stainless are about double
Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have Hedman Street Hedders that came with the plain ol' paint. It burned off and after about a year or so, I yanked them out and wire wheeled them and painted them with high temp paint from Duplicolor. It was lasting great until I wrecked the truck. Now I am in the process of putting the truck back together and will wrap them with header wrap from DEI.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #9
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I have Hedman Street Hedders that came with the plain ol' paint. It burned off and after about a year or so, I yanked them out and wire wheeled them and painted them with high temp paint from Duplicolor. It was lasting great until I wrecked the truck. Now I am in the process of putting the truck back together and will wrap them with header wrap from DEI.

Gary
On summit they say strip and repaint with high temp before installing. Wouldn't high temp rustoleum work. Stays pretty good on fireplace.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I see guys use high temp stove paint and it works good.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #11
RDrancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I see guys use high temp stove paint and it works good.

Gary
I'd look for the 2000* stuff over the 1200*. We have a wood burning stove and the 2000 holds up much better. Overkill is a good thing.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #12
MASTERBrian

So would these $188 headman headers be a decent buy or not? I don't care about the extra coating and such unless there is an excellent reason. The search says they'll fit 1960 C-10, should that be true, I'll be around 4" drop.

https://m.summitracing.com/search/pa...le/full-length
Old 03-11-2017, 01:52 AM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes those headers are designed to work in the '55-'72 trucks. Just strip the paint that is on them (I prefer sandblasting) and paint them with a couple coats of good quality high temp paint. I always use wood stove paint. Stove paint comes in several different colors too.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:57 AM   #14
MASTERBrian

Sounds like a plan. I figured I'd use air craft stripper or possibly even some citrus stripper I have that took the paint off my block super easily and then spray them with metal prep to etch for the paint. Sand blasting is another option as well, but my blaster has seen better days. Might be time to buy a new unit.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

$100 headers!!!! Yes! The gift that keeps on giving! Every oil change you can change header gaskets too! Unless you are building a high horse engine and spend your weekends at the track, put exhaust manifolds on it. I have a special place at my shop for headers.....on the scrap metal trailer!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #16
James the III

The guys that are say'n they ran the pipe to the axle and dumped before the rear axle..
are driving a TRUCK..
your big by huge echo chamber 'burb will drone and you most likely won't like it.
I'd ask over on the 'burb end how many are running it like that and how loud inside it is..
Our 1996 burb has a ton more sound deadner and it was loud..
just an fyi before you do this..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #17
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
The guys that are say'n they ran the pipe to the axle and dumped before the rear axle..
are driving a TRUCK..
your big by huge echo chamber 'burb will drone and you most likely won't like it.
I'd ask over on the 'burb end how many are running it like that and how loud inside it is..
Our 1996 burb has a ton more sound deadner and it was loud..
just an fyi before you do this..
Not planning on dumping before the rear axle. I figure I'll take m mine out the back or behind the axle. Part of the reason is I have double sliders and I want mine of that exhaust coming back in on my kids.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #18
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Keep in mind that what ever 'metal prep' you use could affect the adhesion of the high temp paint negatively if it leaves a residue.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #19
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Keep in mind that what ever 'metal prep' you use could affect the adhesion of the high temp paint negatively if it leaves a residue.
I thought that was the point of the metal prep, kill any rust and etch the metal to aid in adhesion of paint. Do I need fyi read back up on this stuff? Or dots this really only hold true on high temp paints?
Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #20
MASTERBrian

I looked those headers up on Amazon and the description says they won't work with torsion bars. I guess back to the drawing board. I guess I'll have to do some more searching....
Old 03-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #21
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You could always go with 3/4 length headers and run your exhaust up to them around your torsion bars.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #22
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Have you found a high temp metal prep? If not, I would be leary of using such a thing in a high heat application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post
I thought that was the point of the metal prep, kill any rust and etch the metal to aid in adhesion of paint. Do I need fyi read back up on this stuff? Or dots this really only hold true on high temp paints?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #23
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Have you found a high temp metal prep? If not, I would be leary of using such a thing in a high heat application.
Hmmm....I don't/didnt know the metal prep mattered in low vs high heat applications. What I'm talking about isn't a coating, it's more of an etcher. Gets rid of rust and etches the metal so it's ready for the coating. Would that make a difference?

Po15r products uses a cleaner/degreaser then a metal prep before applying their coatings. It's a similar product I'm talking about.

I'd basically strip the paint, use the prep the etch it, then prime and paint with high temp products.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #24
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Hmmm....I don't/didnt know the metal prep mattered in low vs high heat applications. What I'm talking about isn't a coating, it's more of an etcher. Gets rid of rust and etches the metal so it's ready for the coating. Would that make a difference?

Po15r products uses a cleaner/degreaser then a metal prep before applying their coatings. It's a similar product I'm talking about.

I'd basically strip the paint, use the prep the etch it, then prime and paint with high temp products.
Etching should not leave a residue. If this is a concern, and you want a prep on the cheap, acid etch it, then spray it down with brake cleaner which by design leaves no residue. Also, if a high temp product calls for primer, use another high temp product. The high temp products that stick properly are designed to be applied directly to etched metal. They work the best. At least in my experience.

Believe it or not, I've had good success with Rustoleum flat black BBQ grill paint on manifolds and headers. As long as the metal is etched, and the paint is applied with a few light coats, it's affordable and holds up really well.

I also agree with everyone else. Run manifolds instead of cheap headers!
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #25
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Not planning on dumping before the rear axle. I figure I'll take m mine out the back or behind the axle. Part of the reason is I have double sliders and I want mine of that exhaust coming back in on my kids.
Out the sides, behind the rear axle & tipped slightly down, is what I was taught on a wagon. Richard('Dickey") Proehl, lived for exhaust work, for 45yrs in the bizz.... & he was my mentor. The theory was on the back of a wagon (straight out), is that the exhaust would swirl up behind the rear (back window), & still suck the fumes in ? I loved the custom builds the most, but a lot of guys dont play that way anymore....the bread & butter pays the bills. ...Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote