The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
BlackBall'd_Chad

72 C20 Project

I was looking to pick this up, the guy is asking $750 for it. It doesn't have a motor or tran. Has some rust through on the doors, bed, and in side the cab floor and roof. Other than that the body is pretty straight. What are your thoughts on the price and truck?

BlackBall'd_Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:03 AM   #2
Jurassic-1

Re: 72 C20 Project

The cab looks a bit rough on the inside roof panel. I think $500 would be a bit better. It is a 3/4 ton and depending on your plans may need to be converted unless you wanted a 3/4 ton truck.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:10 AM   #3
leftybass209

Welcome!
$750 isn't a bad number, but after all the rust repair, you'd have what can be purchased here in California for between 1-2k.

Can you repair that rust for cheaper than you can pick up an equivalent condition truck, that's the question you need to answer to yourself.

Best of luck with your decision and purchase!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:22 AM   #4
leftybass209

*double post*
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
BlackBall'd_Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 View Post
The cab looks a bit rough on the inside roof panel. I think $500 would be a bit better. It is a 3/4 ton and depending on your plans may need to be converted unless you wanted a 3/4 ton truck.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!! I was thinking the same thing about the price. I am going to start off low around $300. Yes, I am going to convert it from the 3/4 and bag it and thing else to a C10.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
BlackBall'd_Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Welcome!
$750 isn't a bad number, but after all the rust repair, you'd have what can be purchased here in California for between 1-2k.

Can you repair that rust for cheaper than you can pick up an equivalent condition truck, that's the question you need to answer to yourself.

Best of luck with your decision and purchase!
Man I really appreciate the info, it helps out a lot. I feel you on that with the rust repair, but living here in Florida, there is not a lot to choose from. We don't have that many options.

I am pretty sure that I can get the truck for around $300 to $500 and then having some good welder and metal friends, I am pretty sure I can get it up and nice for what the material will cost me.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
swamp rat

The worse of the rust is whats above in the head liner, pretty much guarentees the sealant in the rain gutter has failed, also pretty much guarentees that the rain has went down the A pillars so they are also rusty inside, i'd have a good look at the rain gutter if possible, then look at all the body seams around the top and bottom of the windshield on each side, look at the seams in the upper door jamb to see how rusty they are. Around the brake resevour and the heater box are also places for rust to hide.The outer roof and inner headliner are avalable but are not easy to replace, best left to a skilled body restoration shop shop.

Ultimatly its your skill base or money that will save the cab, the rest of the truck appears in fair shape.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #8
BlackBall'd_Chad

Thumbs up Re: 72 C20 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
The worse of the rust is whats above in the head liner, pretty much guarentees the sealant in the rain gutter has failed, also pretty much guarentees that the rain has went down the A pillars so they are also rusty inside, i'd have a good look at the rain gutter if possible, then look at all the body seams around the top and bottom of the windshield on each side, look at the seams in the upper door jamb to see how rusty they are. Around the brake resevour and the heater box are also places for rust to hide.The outer roof and inner headliner are avalable but are not easy to replace, best left to a skilled body restoration shop shop.

Ultimatly its your skill base or money that will save the cab, the rest of the truck appears in fair shape.
Thanks bro for the additional information and I will definitely look at those pillars, windshield, and the upper door jams, along with the other areas you have suggested. That is great feedback and really appreciate.

The nice thing is I have a family friend that has been doing reservation, body work, welding, and metal for over 40 years. So hopefully it won't be to much of an issue for him. I will probably have him come down and take a look at it before hand.

Thanks again!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 12:06 AM   #9
HeavyD

If you have the connections why not. With that much roof rust I would seriously consider a roof swap though. Even in its current state what do you get for that amount of cash anymore?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
butcharoot

Might be worth checking out

http://ocala.craigslist.org/pts/5115361906.html

Dennis's Chevy Truck Parts in Pinellas Park, FL.
butcharoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #11
hugger6933

Chad unless that truck has some kind of attraction due to a family ride or something of that nature I'd skip it. I do body work and rebuild late model wrecks and have been doing it since the 1980's. I also restore and restomod muscle cars and old trucks in my[hold for laughter] off time. I'd pass on it unless your sure you have another cab lined up, but being you have a guy let him look before dumping it on him as he may not have time to take it on. It is pretty labor intensive to do all of that. I have one in my shop a customer brought me it started out as a roof repair that ended up with replacing the top section fortunately for him I had one on a junked truck.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:14 PM   #12
swamp rat

Good parts and a good frame? find another cab. Or find another truck. kinda depends on the wallett.. You posted on facebook today?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote