The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
BAT
Account Suspended

Serpentine Belt or Standard Configuration?

So the dilemma of the POs's butchered work continues! This time I am looking under the hood where he installed a serpentine belt on the small block, the only issue is that there is no condenser yet the bracket and tensioner are still there and the tensioner is help in place with a bungee cord.

So my question is do I want to retain the serpentine belt and look for a way to correct this cluster or should I simply go back to the conventional pulley system that would have originally came with a small block?

As always, appreciate any/all input.
BAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
richards72chevy

Re: Serpentine Belt or Standard Configuration?

I think the old v belts are pretty reliable my self.I always take an extra one if im going on a long trip.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
firedog

The delima you have with swaping back to v-belt is finding all the correct brackets to make it all align properly. There are several different combonations. However if the PO has it jerry-rigged allready who knows if they have the correct items for the serpentine installed, I currently have a serpentine setup and love it, (from a 4.3 V6) if you do decide to keep it make sure you have the correct water pump because it runs the opposite direction from a v-belt.
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
BAT
Account Suspended

Now that is interesting, I know there are long and short water pumps but I have not seen anything that talks about belt type.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Lee H

I ran my 72 for about 12 years with the original V belt config. No problems, a few thrown belts and some minor adjustments now and then. The power steering belt offered a challenge sometimes. Last year when I R&Red the drive line I went with a serpentine system and I think it's great, very happy with it, one of the best mods I have made. It will be much easier to assure and find if necessary the correct serpentine components than the original pulleys and brackets and belts and get it aligned correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
BAT
Account Suspended

Can someone post some pics of their belt configs both V and serpentine? Currently my alternator sits above the power steering pump (this did have a compressor bracket but no compressor on the right side) and from my memory of my old '72 I had back in the day I thought the alternator was on the right. Basically I am thinking regardless which way I go I should move my alternator to the right (obviously no A/C).

I just pulled the A/C bracket which also had the tentioner attached to it so I ether need to convert back to V-Belt (I can get a kit for about $110) or find an alternator bracket and tentioner to keep the existing serpentine.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
72 K20

Fire dog
I didn't realize that the 4.3 serpentine setup would work on the small block,, any certain years or models to look for ?
Are you running AC and PS ? Would like to see some pics !! Are you running electric fans or conventional ?

Don't mean to hijack but feel this is directly related to the OP.

Thank you !!
72 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
BAT
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 K20 View Post
Fire dog
Don't mean to hijack but feel this is directly related to the OP.
No hijack at all... good stuff!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
mightymouse

i went to the wrecking yard and pulled the bracket,s and pulley,s +powersteering pump off a 92 also got the passenger side bracket off a v-6 cause i liked it better cause it does,t have the smog pump provision all for less than a $ 100.00 had it all powdercoated for around $ 50.00 got ac delete pully from gm. as mentioned eariler youll need a reverse rotation water pump .it add,s up, but fit,s my budget
Attached Images

mightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
chiefcfd

You can probably fix the serpentine system cheaper. Like was stated earlier the water pump as well as the fan are reverse rotation on serpentine systems. These are more plentiful than the correct brackets and pulleys for a v-belt. Also you didn't mention power steering the threads on newer pumps are metric vs the standard for the 67-72. Those fittings can be changed in the back of the pump. I believe the 88-94 v-6 and v-8 serp systems work well. I cut the section below the a/c bracket for air pump off of the one I used and bought an a/c delete pulley for mine. No problems so far. Hope this helps.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
BAT
Account Suspended

Thanks for posting that!!! That is my exact current configuration (minus the delete kit), so it sounds like my least expensive route is to get the delete kit and leave everything else as is.

Did that pulley fit in the existing a/c bracket? Don't happen to have a part number do you? (sorry. don't mean to be a pain). I can powder coat them myself... if only I could get that $#@! PS pump pulley off!!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
BAT
Account Suspended

Well seeing as how butchered this thing is I am now wondering if I have the correct water pump. Any easy way to tell? I can tell you when I did drive it initially (limited) it did not over hear but not sure that I drove it enough to get to that point.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
chiefcfd

I got my pulley from my NAPA Store the counter guy knew what I needed. I don't know how to tell about the correct water pump.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
mightymouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT View Post
Thanks for posting that!!! That is my exact current configuration (minus the delete kit), so it sounds like my least expensive route is to get the delete kit and leave everything else as is.

Did that pulley fit in the existing a/c bracket? Don't happen to have a part number do you? (sorry. don't mean to be a pain). I can powder coat them myself... if only I could get that $#@! PS pump pulley off!!
i think the part # for the ac delete pulley is 10118713 you can get it online about half the price than you can get it from gm ,i got mine from gm for 65.27 go to orilley,s auto parts, and rent you a puller for free just leave deposit to get that pulley off.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
BAT
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcfd View Post
I got my pulley from my NAPA Store the counter guy knew what I needed. I don't know how to tell about the correct water pump.
Duh... guess that it the easiest way
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
BAT
Account Suspended

One other silly question, my alternator doesn't have a fan behind the pulley, I am thinking that they may have pulled it to make room for the serp pulley. Would I need to replace the alternator to one with a longer shaft?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
BAT
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post
i think the part # for the ac delete pulley is 10118713 you can get it online about half the price than you can get it from gm ,i got mine from gm for 65.27 go to orilley,s auto parts, and rent you a puller for free just leave deposit to get that pulley off.
Cool, thanks much for all the info!

Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
mightymouse

Quote:
Cool, thanks much for all the info!

Happy New Year!!!
no problem i also think that for the ac delete you need to run a different belt the correct gm # for that belt 10230729 as for the altenator i dont know i just got one for a 90 model 350 silverado.good luck and Happy- Newyear
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
Lee H

For serpentine components, any 88-95 Chevy truck (V8 or V6) will work. Just pick a year, say 1992 C1500 with a 5.7L engine and use that for all the components. Water pump, alternator, power steering pump, idler pulleys, AC delete pulley, and A/C compressor if so equipped. The only hitch is the fitting on the PS pump, the new ones are metric, if you are using the original hose you need a fitting from an older pump and use that on the new pump.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
firedog

That is exactly what I have Mightymouse, I am running an electric fan that I fabbed up from a late 90's camaro into my factory shroud. I have the aluminum brackets there is also another style that is all metal, my dad is running it and it works just as well as. Any 4.3 V6 should work on a V8 with heads that have all 3 threaded holes on the front.
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
One other silly question, my alternator doesn't have a fan behind the pulley, I am thinking that they may have pulled it to make room for the serp pulley. Would I need to replace the alternator to one with a longer shaft?
You probably have a CS130D alternator. Those were commonly used on a lot of the newer engines with serpentine belts and they have an internal fan.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
72 K20

All good information !!! I know what I'm going to do on my C20 now !!

Thank you to all that have posted and contributed !!

Happy New Year everyone !! Be safe !!

Tom
72 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #23
BAT
Account Suspended

Just found a delete pulley on eBay for $49 and free shipping, will grab a belt next. Am I correct in assuming that I can still run the original configuration fan and clutch? I really don't want to go electric and I have all new shroud, fan and clutch sitting on the shelf.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
Lee H

Quote:
Just found a delete pulley on eBay for $49 and free shipping, will grab a belt next. Am I correct in assuming that I can still run the original configuration fan and clutch? I really don't want to go electric and I have all new shroud, fan and clutch sitting on the shelf.
Original as in original to your truck, no.

Original as in serpentine components, yes.

No reason to go electric fans just because you have a serpentine system. Clutches and fans for these systems are plentiful at local pick-a-parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
mightymouse

yes you can still run your fan setup , this is the same serpt, that,s on my pop,s shiny 90 and his still has the factory fan but his still has ac
Attached Images