The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
70GMCer

Ac ??

My 83 has factory AC but is missing parts under the hood.

Parts missing are the hoses, compressor with mounting brackets.

It does have all of the parts from the firewall back & also the factory condenser.

But, like most that have had the compressor/hoses removed, the evap & condenser connections have been left opened to the elements.

So, I don't know the condition of those parts.

So, here's the questions.

Should I fix the original AC setup with new hoses, etc. & convert to 134?

Or, should I just go ahead and remove all the original AC & Heat parts & install a "Vintage Air Sure Fit kit"?

I've looked at prices on replacement OEM parts & I figure it would cost me around $800 for everything that is missing.

The Vintage Air kit cost around $1450.00

I installed the Vintage Air kit in my 63 Impala & it works great.

I just don't know if the truck is worth the price of the Vintage Air.

It's an 83 that has been converted to a short fleet box. Who ever did it used a swb frame w/original box. The truck is highly optioned.

So, is this truck worth the expense?
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
RWJJR

Re: Ac ??

If you want air , I would go with the vintage air setup. The truck sounds like its worth doing it to!
RWJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Dayton601

Go back factory, shop around and you can get down to about $500
Dayton601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton601 View Post
Go back factory, shop around and you can get down to about $500
If I go factory, is there a R134 conversion kit?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

There are still some old a/c square bodies in the junkyards. You can get the correct parts for cheap. You would want a new cross flow style condenser, and likely a new compressor (my local a/c shop recommends Sanden) but the rest of the parts are an easy pull and install. The Sanden compressor will likely require a new mounting bracket set up. My guess is you can get back in a/c for less than half of the $1450 that Vintage wants. When the a/c is working properly in these old squares it is an awesome amount of cooling.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #6
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
There are still some old a/c square bodies in the junkyards. You can get the correct parts for cheap. You would want a new cross flow style condenser, and likely a new compressor (my local a/c shop recommends Sanden) but the rest of the parts are an easy pull and install. The Sanden compressor will likely require a new mounting bracket set up. My guess is you can get back in a/c for less than half of the $1450 that Vintage wants. When the a/c is working properly in these old squares it is an awesome amount of cooling.
That does make since. But, before I do anything, I want to plug the lines & pull a vacuum on the evap & condenser.

Just to make sure they are not leaking.

I did some more inspecting & found that someone has already converted this to 134 at some point. Changed the connection fittings & put a conversion label on the evap case. No dates or who did it though.

I'm going to look into the "Sanden" compressor & see if someone offers up a bracket kit for it.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

The local a/c shop said he would evacuate my system, then I could install the new condenser, then he would install the Sanden and recharge the system. I have already had a 134A conversion, and the hoses are good. My problem is that I have a 454, and the aftermarket brackets for the compressor look flimsy to me (two sheet metal type brackets and a weird configuration), so I am holding off on this. He recommends the AC Delco condenser, but I forgot the part number (only about $115.)

I am leaning toward getting a new Alma products OEM GM style A6 compressor to stay away from the bracket issue with the Sanden. The new Alma compressors are supposed to have fixed the oil slinging issue with the old A6 compressor, and they are compatible with 134A out of the box. Both compressors are pricey, but I would never get a rebuilt compressor again.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
Dayton601

Yes the auto parts have the adapters that go on the old fittings, if I remember right it screws on where the cap goes, and has some lock-tight on it or an O-ring, I had added it to mine back in 1995, the old Freon was too expensive to buy so I converted it over,
And the crazy thing about it was I took the Freon hose and cut the end off that goes on the can, hooked a vacuum hose to it with the little plastic hose fitting, then I hooked it up to the carburetor, it smoked like hell when I cranked it up, (crazy things you do when you don't know any better) I was mostly trying to get all the old oil out because they said it was not compatible with the new stuff. I let it run for about 20 minutes, put some new oil in and filled it with 134
Up until last year when I changed out the front clip it would still blow cold, even after sitting for 15 yrs,
This is on a 81 stepside, and it has a one yr only condenser, so going back with the newer front clip, i went to the junk yard and found me a used 85 , got one that had not been open to the elements, then got a new accumulator from O'Reilly, along with new hoses, and that's were I left off, still need to pull a vacuum, but I will be sure to do it right this time,
Old 04-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #9
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton601 View Post
Yes the auto parts have the adapters that go on the old fittings, if I remember right it screws on where the cap goes, and has some lock-tight on it or an O-ring, I had added it to mine back in 1995, the old Freon was too expensive to buy so I converted it over,
And the crazy thing about it was I took the Freon hose and cut the end off that goes on the can, hooked a vacuum hose to it with the little plastic hose fitting, then I hooked it up to the carburetor, it smoked like hell when I cranked it up, (crazy things you do when you don't know any better) I was mostly trying to get all the old oil out because they said it was not compatible with the new stuff. I let it run for about 20 minutes, put some new oil in and filled it with 134
Up until last year when I changed out the front clip it would still blow cold, even after sitting for 15 yrs,
This is on a 81 stepside, and it has a one yr only condenser, so going back with the newer front clip, i went to the junk yard and found me a used 85 , got one that had not been open to the elements, then got a new accumulator from O'Reilly, along with new hoses, and that's were I left off, still need to pull a vacuum, but I will be sure to do it right this time,
In case you don't know, auto parts stores have cans of flushing cleaners that connect to your gauge just like a freon can.

Before final hose connections are made, I will flush out the system, both the evap & condenser seperate & then do a vacuum before adding the freon.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #10
70GMCer

I'm hoping that someone has a link where to buy good hoses, compressor & mounting brackets
Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #11
Dayton601

here is one thats not to bad, at least gives high and low,

https://www.carid.com/1983-chevy-ck-...5D%5B0%5D=5.7L

Rock auto not to bad either,

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+conditioning
Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
zach_carver

Ive been looking on rock auto myself. I have everything on my truck but my compressor pulley has come apart and locked down I imagine because the belt is gone. I want to eventually fix it but I dont want to change alot since its all 100% factory currently and everything is still in place minus the belt.

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

1977 C10 SILVERADO HAWAIIAN BLUE, 5/5" DROP, LS6/4L80E

1976 CHEVY K5, 350/350, YUBA GOLD/SADDLE
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #13
85Misac10

I am doing an ls swap on my 85 c10 longbed, I have compressor and hoses available, used with a 305. The system in this truck was available for r12 and r134, I may also still have the brackets available. The truck required system to be charged when I bought it, it blew cool air.
85Misac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #14
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Misac10 View Post
I am doing an ls swap on my 85 c10 longbed, I have compressor and hoses available, used with a 305. The system in this truck was available for r12 and r134, I may also still have the brackets available. The truck required system to be charged when I bought it, it blew cool air.
Let me know what all you do have with a price....