The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
Coley

Smile Turn Signal Switch Installation- experts?

Ok....just checking to see if there are any experts in the forum that have changed out their turn signal switch...particularly a tilt column turn signal switch?

I ordered a new one for my truck because the little screw that holds the turn signal lever in place kept getting loose due to what I thought were stripped threads on the screw.
Well, a new screw...slightly longer may have fixed the problem.

Regardless, I was looking at what it takes to fully complete this change out and I would like to know....how in the heck do you feed that connector down the column to the bottom?
Do you remove all the wires from the connector, push them through the limited column access 'tunnel'....then reconnect them again later, hopefully in the right slots?
What else worked well?....again I have mine free and clear apart from the wiring harness....but I figured I would put the operation on pause until I had some and better information on this change out.

Anyone who has some experience with this....please weigh in with what has worked for you.

Many Thanks
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:20 AM   #2
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Re: Turn Signal Switch Installation- experts?

One thing i'm not fond of with older tilt columns.Is what do you use the most to pull your self in to the drivers seat.The steering wheel.That's why new trucks don't have that any more they use a leaver to lower the hole column.Most of use that have had tilts hated having some one come back in and take ares apart to put lock tie on the screws and re tighten it down.Now on the turn signal I very much like to learn that one But you ask me how to do it to a 1960--66 No problem
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Coley

Re: Turn Signal Switch Installation- experts?

Ok...quick update on this.

Again, the reason for (possibly) taking this on was due to the fact that the little screw holding the turn signal lever into the switch would no longer tighten which meant the turn lever started to flop around....set off the horn, etc.

Well, I disassembled the top of the column and partially pulled the original signal unit outwards.
However, I couldn't figure out how in the world to get the main bottom (underdash) connector for the wires up through the column without complete disassembly.
Well, I made a few enquiries to some guys in the know (Bill at 'Bills Truck Shop', Ontario) and apparently you have 2 choices....completely disassemble the column (nope) or pull out/remove every push in wire in the semi circular connector (8? 10?) out...then feed the wires through the column and re-attach back into the connector at the bottom.
The same procedure would hold true for removing the original.

So upon further investigation of the root cause of this challenge... I realized that the small fine thread fastener holding the lever in place was badly worn out and hardly engaging.
I think it is a 10-32 thread...with the last 1/8" of an inch being a tapered shape (not good).
Regardless, I found a longer, full straight fastener and tested the depth of the threaded hold and found I could easily get another 1/8" to 3/16" worth of thread purchase and still have better purchase in the same area of the tapered portion of the original fastener.

So, short story...long (lol) I used the new fastener, cleaned it and loc tighted it in there. Then I took the opportunity to give the mechanism of the turn signal unit a little lube here and there where needed and re-assembled the top of the column.
So far super tight and stiff...no problem at the moment....and I was able to continue with my original turn signal unit which still worked great otherwise.
If it doesn't work over time....I still have my new replacement turn signal unit and the full story on what I would be up against to change it out.

Here is one important tip tho' if you attempt this with a tilt column:
Remove the top 'tilt' indicator unit/housing (PRNDLL)...then with that removed, pull of the night light bulb bezel off the little tilt indicator bulb....the spin and remove the bulb. Without doing this, you will have a much harder time pulling the inner signal unit outwards and you will probably break the bulb while doing it. Ask me how I know, lol

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 05-10-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote