The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
DanJC

S10 body mounts??

In the middle of swapping our cab onto a S10 frame-
We do not have the stock cab mount bushings, looking at stock replacements it looks like they are around $50 each - so for the 4 it would be $200 ish. Is that right??
Aftermarket bushings it looks like a complete set for around $70. The aftermarket ones don't come with washers/cups though??? So if I go aftermarket I still need the factory washer/cups....
Do I have this correct??
Is there a reasonably priced option for bushings and washers/cups???
Thanks
DanJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: S10 body mounts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJC View Post
In the middle of swapping our cab onto a S10 frame-
We do not have the stock cab mount bushings, looking at stock replacements it looks like they are around $50 each - so for the 4 it would be $200 ish. Is that right??
Aftermarket bushings it looks like a complete set for around $70. The aftermarket ones don't come with washers/cups though??? So if I go aftermarket I still need the factory washer/cups....
Do I have this correct??
Is there a reasonably priced option for bushings and washers/cups???
Thanks
the junkyard will let me pull as many as I want for very little money. take a short 15mm socket mounted on a small battery impact driver and a jack (usually I just use the scissor jack from the truck I am working on). take off the 15mm bolt, jack up the cab slightly, take off the bushing, put all the parts in your box.

if you want the rad/core bushings, those are 15mm bolt on top, you will need a 3/8 ratchet with a medium 15mm socket and slide into the pocket of the core support, then an 18mm on the nut below. the advantage to using the core support stuff is the bolt is exactly what length is needed for the rear cab mounting, saving a few dollars on high strength hardware.

if you havent cut the mounting hole in your body mounts yet, you can get a camaro subframe mounting kit from energy suspension for around 55 bucks shipped on amazon, the hole diameter is smaller than the s10 mounts, but its all new poly mounts with all the steel parts you need too. they are slightly shorter than s10 mounts too, so be sure to adjust the core support to match.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
DanJC

Thanks for the info-
We do have to holes already in the mounts-
May have to take a trip to the wrecking yard

Thank you
Old 01-31-2020, 12:25 AM   #4
TravisC

I got mine from LMC Truck

29-0111 CAB MOUNTING KIT 28PC STD CAB 82-93

$99.95

"https://www.lmctruck.com/1982-05-chevy-gmc/cst-1982-93-radiator-core-support-cab-bed-mounting-hardware"
TravisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
joedoh

wow nice find! (estimate shipping, lmc is only 2 hrs away from me and most boxes are 30 bucks!)

Old 01-31-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
DanJC

Thanks for the link!
Old 01-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
TravisC

If you get the kit from LMC the bolts that come with it are not long enough.
So you will need to get longer bolts and there are no nuts either in the kit because I believe the nuts are welded in the cab of the S-10.
I have not started my truck's build yet so I can not say how well they work.
TravisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
mr48chev

That LMC diagram is worth printing out just to take to the wrecking yard if you follow Joedoe's suggestion of harvesting them off a donor truck.

Lots to be said for getting the new bushings that aren't deteriorated though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:42 PM   #9
gigamanx

I was quite happy with the generic red poly bushing kit from Summit. They are round, fit a bolt through. Another $20 in the correct size bolts and washers (grade 8) from Tractor Supply and you'll be set. The trouble I had trying to get cab and radiator bushings from manufacturers were that your truck, once sitting on an S10 chassis and your fabricated radiator mount will be pretty specific to your build. Better to get a one size fits all and use washers or spacers to help adjust the cab and core support so the sheet metal lines up perfectly.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-9528R

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
gigamanx

Also tried this set annd ended up using maybe two from the whole set and all the washers. Bolts were the wrong length and the height of the bushings was too inconsistent to deal with the body mounts

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-4142r

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #11
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

My answer to both these threads started by DanJC is that there is a dedicated S10 conversion thread on this forum. It seems that with all these guys copying one another's builds exactly that virtually every detail would have been covered and answered ad nauseum. I'd sure prefer to see all the S10 questions there instead of subjecting the rest of us to them.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:58 AM   #12
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Also tried this set annd ended up using maybe two from the whole set and all the washers. Bolts were the wrong length and the height of the bushings was too inconsistent to deal with the body mounts

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-4142r

that is the camaro subframe set I mentioned. there were 4 with the same height, but two different diameters, and 2 with a different height. I used the largest of the 4 same height on the front cab mounts and the smaller on the rear, then the different height used on the core support mount.

those universals you listed will only be an isolation type mount if you use two per body mount , otherwise they dont work as isolators and really you could use anything there, a hockey puck (I know guys that used hockey pucks for body lifts!) or even a piece of box tube. thats how the cab was mounted from the factory, dont get me wrong, but I like the isolation type like the S10 stocks with the lower rubbers and steels.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
Driver_WT

Smile Re: S10 body mounts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
My answer to both these threads started by DanJC is that there is a dedicated S10 conversion thread on this forum. It seems that with all these guys copying one another's builds exactly that virtually every detail would have been covered and answered ad nauseum. I'd sure prefer to see all the S10 questions there instead of subjecting the rest of us to them.
Does that mean that anything that mentions Camaro subframe should be in one thread too? Or any mention of changing to a different rear differential in one thread?