The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Mrturner1

Here goes nuthin!! Bodywork and paint!

Well I bit off more than I can chew AGAIN and I'm havin a blast! lol I've decided that I want to do the bodywork and paint myself, never done it before but I had never changed a cam before either and I could do it with my eyes closed now I don't know what color it's gonna be yet but I have plenty of time to figure that out, prep and prep and prep, and mudding and sanding all takes a looooong time as I've learned recently. Here's some pics
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
Mrturner1

Re: Here goes nuthin!! Bodywork and paint!

Bed side
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Mrturner1

Front passenger fender
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Mrturner1

My paint and body shop lol
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
Mrturner1

There's no real serious dents, but lots of little ones. One thing though that's always bothered me about this truck is the panels need adjusted so they line up. I've been taking it down to bare metal one panel at a time and digging out the old body filler with a DA sander, a wire wheel, a homemade block sander and a lot of elbow grease.

Let me know what you think and please feel free to make suggestions!

Matt
Old 10-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
custom10nut

Just make sure you put a thin coat of Primer on any exposed metal at the end of each day. This will stop the moisture from starting surface rust. If you alternate dark and light color, it'll help you find high and low spots, before you shoot the color. Take your time, filter your air, and build a makeshift booth to cut down on the dust.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #7
notsolo

Looking good, I do my own body and paint. Keep it as clean as possible, watch YouTube clips on painting it wil turn out nice. I'MO Durablocks are worth the cost, 18 inch I found is very useful.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
Benny-

Cool!

1978 GMC K15 High Sierra.
Benny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
Dustmaker65

Looks like a great start! Keep the pics coming!
Old 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #10
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Just make sure you put a thin coat of Primer on any exposed metal at the end of each day. This will stop the moisture from starting surface rust. If you alternate dark and light color, it'll help you find high and low spots, before you shoot the color. Take your time, filter your air, and build a makeshift booth to cut down on the dust.
Actually just plain Primer is used for covering body fillers and OEM paints before the final Top Coat of paint. NOW a Primer Sealer is what you need or a direct to metal sealer to cover any bare metal. A comes before B and C follows B ect ect.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #11
firedemon

all those small spots looks like it had trim on the top ?
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #12
hugger6933

OK Matt you asked. if you remember me body and paint is what I do. Get some epoxy primer that will seal up bare metal I use PPG's Omni line MP175 I thinks is the black epoxy. Also after the epoxy, you NEED high build primer with all the body work you have done. MP282 is that number. You also need some sanding blocks and some guide coat. It does as it sounds it guides you as to what the panel needs. If the GC goes away quickly say in a circle on top of a place. you have a high spot and you need to keep sanding. In contrast if you have som e[GC] that stays around a long time while sanding you have a low spot and you need to put either filler or putty on that spot. Speaking of putty get some Evercoat 2 part putty. It mixes like regular body filler but it dries much quicker and sands like butter. Warm butter on top of that it is awesome. If you need more help holler at me or send me a PM. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #13
frenchy51

It's looking good. Now comes the primer then sand with blocks not your bare hands. As Hugger said-use a guide coat before sanding. I just grab a rattle can of usually black krylon and just mist on a very light coat from a couple feet away. As you sand you'll see any low or high spots. Just keep priming and sanding till it's all uniform using gradually finer grits down to 400 or so. You'll find low spots that may need more filler and high spots that may need to get hammered down a bit. Don't be in a hurry. What you do now will determine how good the final job will be. I like your "booth". I've done many nice paint jobs in my driveway. I just wait for a calm day-wet the area to keep dust down and go for it! The problem with doing it inside without a booth is that unless you have some sort of exhaust fan-you'll get a lot of over-spray that will settle everywhere....be careful if you do use fans-paint fumes are explosive...Keep us posted on your progress and way to be brave! You're saving a ton of money and you'll be able to say "I did that!"
1977 GMC HeavyHalf
several adopted orphans
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #14
un4gvn!

I noticed on the fender an emblem hole. It looks like you filled one in. If you are going to use any emblems or mouldings, you need to position and drill the holes now. The primer will seal the bare metal edge that the drill bit left. Have you ever seen bubbles behind emblems on somebody else's vehicle? That was because they drilled after paint and didn't address the bare metal.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #15
66clow

Watch as many youtube videos as possible. I've taught myself as well. It is rewarding and exhausting fun working : ).
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #16
hugger6933

As I have said in many posts before, there is a reason they [who are they] call it bodywork and not body fun
Old 10-30-2016, 02:14 AM   #17
Mrturner1

Making some progress and havin fun!
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2016, 02:17 AM   #18
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
all those small spots looks like it had trim on the top ?
It actually had trim on top and bottom. It's a real bummer that somebody took it all off because my absolute FAVORITE paint scheme on these trucks is the two tone with a white roof, and white band around the middle. But yes, most of the body filler is those rivet holes.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:20 AM   #19
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy51 View Post
It's looking good. Now comes the primer then sand with blocks not your bare hands. As Hugger said-use a guide coat before sanding. I just grab a rattle can of usually black krylon and just mist on a very light coat from a couple feet away. As you sand you'll see any low or high spots. Just keep priming and sanding till it's all uniform using gradually finer grits down to 400 or so. You'll find low spots that may need more filler and high spots that may need to get hammered down a bit. Don't be in a hurry. What you do now will determine how good the final job will be. I like your "booth". I've done many nice paint jobs in my driveway. I just wait for a calm day-wet the area to keep dust down and go for it! The problem with doing it inside without a booth is that unless you have some sort of exhaust fan-you'll get a lot of over-spray that will settle everywhere....be careful if you do use fans-paint fumes are explosive...Keep us posted on your progress and way to be brave! You're saving a ton of money and you'll be able to say "I did that!"
Hey thanks! I was a bit nervous but I'm having fun now and I can't wait to see the finished product. I was so proud that I rebuilt the motor, and when people asked I was able to say I did it myself. Now I'll really be able to take pride in the truck because the heart was built by me, and the body too! thanks for the tips
Old 10-30-2016, 02:22 AM   #20
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
As I have said in many posts before, there is a reason they [who are they] call it bodywork and not body fun
I actually wasn't planning on using epoxy. For cheaps sake I was gonna just use laquer since it's my first one and it needs to be cheap. How big a mistake is this, I trust your knowledge we've talked about your trade a few times before
Old 10-30-2016, 06:14 AM   #21
GR8-68

One advantage of epoxy primer over bare steel is the excellent adhesion factor that epoxy offers compared to lacquer primers as well as epoxy's sealing ability that blocks moisture.

There are 3 major advantages of epoxy compared to lacquer; it seals the backside from moisture which will extend the top coat life, you can apply filler directly to epoxy which eliminates the possibility of moisture absorbing into the filler from behind and epoxy is tough and sticks like glue.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #22
hugger6933

If you want the paint job to last any real amount of time[ and who doesn't?] prime it with epoxy. Find you an O'riellys or any parts store that carries PPG stuff and tell them you want some Omni. Omni is the body shop based lower level stuff but I have been using it like 17 years or so and it is always served me well. The epoxy primer in black is MP172 and its activator is MP175. I'm sure you have read about DPLF 90 epoxy well I can't tell any difference and the ppg guys said it is only different in packaging and marketing.Then you go on to MP282[grey] high build primer and its hardner MH283. I like to have a different color high build than epoxy so I know sanding depths and what not. Also the high build along with some good sanding blocks[one of my favs is to take a paint stir stick and break it into 1/3rds and wrap it with sandpaper.]you can then work over those little moulding holes and that can help you make it super straight. But, I'm getting off track the high build primer will help you be a better body worker. it fills sanding scratches left in filler and even fill some minor low spots . It has great fill properties that is one reason it is designated high build.Good luck and happy sanding, Matt. Jim
Old 11-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #23
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
If you want the paint job to last any real amount of time[ and who doesn't?] prime it with epoxy. Find you an O'riellys or any parts store that carries PPG stuff and tell them you want some Omni. Omni is the body shop based lower level stuff but I have been using it like 17 years or so and it is always served me well. The epoxy primer in black is MP172 and its activator is MP175. I'm sure you have read about DPLF 90 epoxy well I can't tell any difference and the ppg guys said it is only different in packaging and marketing.Then you go on to MP282[grey] high build primer and its hardner MH283. I like to have a different color high build than epoxy so I know sanding depths and what not. Also the high build along with some good sanding blocks[one of my favs is to take a paint stir stick and break it into 1/3rds and wrap it with sandpaper.]you can then work over those little moulding holes and that can help you make it super straight. But, I'm getting off track the high build primer will help you be a better body worker. it fills sanding scratches left in filler and even fill some minor low spots . It has great fill properties that is one reason it is designated high build.Good luck and happy sanding, Matt. Jim

Well you may have said this already but help me simplify things. If I prime it with epoxy, what are my options for base coat and clear coat? Are those also epoxy or can I get any kind of paint?
Old 11-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #24
coopdog

blind them with the shine man Keep up the good work!
.....(O). ..................(O).

BUILD THREAD K20 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=651601 pages 2-4
coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #25
hugger6933

Matt, if you use the epoxy/high build primers I've suggested you can top coat with any product you desire. Weather it is a single stage, base coat clear coat[my suggestion for ease of use] or whatever you can find it will be fine on the primer.