The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
Big Daddy Bear

Swapping from longer to shorter rear spring pack

Been doing a little research on shortening long beds down to short beds, and of the two most common methods, am looking at relocating the spring hangers forward.

As I said in my project post, I don't want to just get a shortbed to start with, around here they are either 4x4 or very expensive. I have two, very cheap project 1500 W/T LWBs to mess with, so if screw one up, I have a back-up.

So, I got to thinking about how far the hangers would have to move forward on the frame to center the wheel and what that might do to ride height.

Since they get far enough forward to attach on the lower end of the drop in the frame, wouldn't that raise the ride height in the rear? Assuming stock hangers.

So was thinking about switching to shorter length spring packs, which would allow the hanger to not be located as far down the frame.

Was considering using Tahoe spring packs as they are 10" shorter in length and everything is the same or just a fraction of an inch off, with carry capacity being just 275 lbs different.

Still have to relocate both hangers, but it seems like a better choice that might limit any rise in the rear, if any with the Tahoe springs, since it will be closer to the stock mounting height. And if it does, the weight of the SWB might help mitigate that some...??

And I do at some point plan on a static drop of a few inches, so I believe that could be done with different shackles? Lowering trucks is new to me so not sure about the process, but I don't intend on flipping the axel on top of the springs or anything that requires notching the frame either.

The end use is not to be a hauler or general truck duties, but a fun toy.

Any way, just kicking around some ideas.

Here are some numbers to compare:
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2018, 12:35 AM   #2
junksaver

Re: Swapping from longer to shorter rear spring pack

Keep your rear springs and buy a spring hanger lowering kit. It will lower your truck and the longer springs make it ride better.
72 2wd 3/4 Ton Project or Parts?
73 4wd Blazer
junksaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Big Daddy Bear

Re: Swapping from longer to shorter rear spring pack

Thanks for the reply. As I said, where lowering is concerned, I have no experience at all.

Is there something to look for or to avoid as far as which kit to to get? I am sure like anything, there are some that are better than others.

Since I want a static drop, I am thinking about 4" in the rear and 2" in the front. Would the front be a simple drop spindle install or is there more to it?